Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

my year in review/ looking forward to the off season (long and boring and most likely wrong)

February 17, 2022 05:43PM
First, what a finish to an incredible year. Plenty of ups and downs, but finished with the greatest up ever. I got to see this team in person against the Vikings, so I am thrilled I saw a Rams SB winning team in person.

After having a little time to reflect, here on some observations on the personnel and the Free agents the Rams have and what might be needed:

QB:

QB is in a good spot with Stafford. He's a gunslinger, always has been, so you take the good with the bad. That will never change. Neither will his health, mainly his back. I do have a scenario where I do not sign him to a long term deal. I'll come back to that at the end.

Backup - Perkins, I am not thrilled with him as the primary backup, but how many teams really are? He's had time in the system and knows it. THats more than you can say about other options.

FA - Wolford - Exclusive rights FA, so if the Rams want him back, he'll be back, but he has his limitations. Plucky, I would call him. Not sure he comes back.

RB:

Akers is a stud and looks to be full strength heading into next year. I think Hendo proved to be a solid backup with pass catching ability. his health scares me, but keep him away from being the bellcow and he'll be ok. Funk is the 3rd back and a ST guy. Calais is #4, but can be cut to save 800k with no dead cap. And X. Jones, he should figure into the mix. Maybe.

FA - Michel - He was a savior down the stretch, but doesn't do anything exceptionally well (dang good in pass pro) and his knees are basically bone on bone. Unless he is super cheap, I'm sorry but he's gone. Depth RBs are a dime a dozen.

Howell - he's gone

WR:

Kupp is all world right now. He is not only the best WR in the game. He is like a 2nd QB on the field, he gets teammates lined up, he sees the field like a QB. So impressed. I think Woods is a danged good #2 and with OBJ injured, I just don't see how the Rams cut or trade him. Too much dead money as well. Jefferson is a good 3rd or 4th option, his wife going into labor during the SB must of had an effect on him. He gets a pass. I don't want him as my 2, but as a 3 or 4, he's good. Skow had a rough SB, but as a 4 or 5 on top of being a ST stud, he's a keeper. Then there is Atwell and Jacob Harris. Both rookies, both season injured and both will be back. Thats 6 without 2 FAs.

FAs - OBJ - the injury muddies the water, but I think (from a Rams perspective) helps retain him. I think the Rams retain him, run it back the way they started the season with Kupp, Woods and Jefferson with OBJ on IR until he is ready for the stretch run and playoffs.

Brandon Powell - KR/PR - STs inproved with him, and seeing that TD against Minn. in person, on my side of the field, the Rams need to get him back. UNLESS they ABSLUTELY feel Atwell can handle it.

Thats 8 WRs, they look set.

TE:

Higbee will be back as the starter, he had a good year, 2nd on the team in rec. with 61, tied for 3rd in TDs, 3rd in yards. He's back. Blanton flashed against TB and did Hopkins have a coming out party in the SB? Maybe, maybe not. It won't hurt his confidence.

FA - Mundt is the only FA TE, if he is your 3rd or 4th TE, I'm good with him. If they feel they can upgrade the position cheap or later in the draft, I'm good with that too.

OL:

Edwards is back at LG and Haves is back at RT. Thats it. Technically Big Whit is still there too, but after the SB, sitting on the field with his wife and kids, I saw a man that was so at peace with his life, I see no scenario where he comes back. He is a great football player and a better human, and he has a lot to give in the world, and I think thats his next move. Thank you Big Whit for bringing that experience and veteran presence to a team that needed it. If anyone deserves a rest, its him. Bobby Evans is a good 6th OL, and probably a better OG. He isn't a LT. Anchrum might be in line for a promotion, or he remains depth. Alaric Jackson, he just might be the LT of the future and the future might be August. Drake Jackson is on a futures contract that both Alyo and I loved in the draft. With both OCs as FAs, he might be an option...Ealy , another futures guy, no clue. He's a massive RT from Okla that just isn't that gifted.

FA - Man oh man, OC Allen and Shelton, one has to be retained I would think. Probably Shelton just on cap space and how its allocated. RG Corbett, he's off his rookie deal, no idea whatsoever how the Rams feel about him. But he won't be as cheap as he was and that might mean that he moves on. Maybe Evans or Anchrum replace him. LT Noteboom, He makes the most sense as the future LT, its all gonna depend on what teams off him, and if the Rams are comfortable with him protecting Staffords blindside on a fulltime basis. If he's gone, its Alaric time. OG Demby, seriously, how are you on this team? He won't be.

DL:

AD is back, and still the man, at least for 1 more season. Gaines was a stud this year and really improved (I am so glad I was wrong on him in the draft) Robinson is tough, he was a great run defender down the stretch, but he is currently the 9th most expensive Ram and would save 5.5m against only 4m in dead cap. I hope he comes back, but I get it if he doesn't. Brown III, Copeland, Hoecht all add some depth.

FAs - SJD is the big FA here, I'd like him back, I'm sure the Rams would love to have him back, it all comes down to cap space. I think thats it.

Edge/ OLBs:

Floyd is still a stud and isn't going anywhere, Lewis has so much potential, but will his knees ever be right? No, will they allow him to play a 16 game season? Who knows, but its probably do or die time this upcoming season. I hope he works out. Garrett got his redshirt season and could be a real diamond for this team. Figures into the rotation. Hollins is steady as long as he stays healthy.

FAs - not as bad as the OL, but its not great. Miller, it all starts with him. If he wants to be back for 1 more season, he's back. And I think he is back. Ogbo is the other FA, he's a nice rotation piece, but again, depending on his market, I'm not sure he comes back. The Rams have bigger fish to fry.

ILB:

Jones is your signal caller and starter inside next year. He is better sideline to sideline than I thought he'd be coming out of college, but he's a leader, he's fiery and he is seemingly always around the ball. His arrow is way up. Rozeboom, another good STer, maybe he's ready for more, but I'd like to see someone else in there. its a thin group, even before FA.

FAs - Reeder is the big one. If he comes cheap, bring him back, and I do mean cheap and w/o the expectation that he starts. Howard is the other FA. His lack of playing time in the SB seems to lean toward him not returning, but its a pure guess. both are Restricted Free Agents, so the Rams control the ILB narrative.

CB:

Ramsey - Still the man, and the 75 yard TD to Higgins wasn't his fault, but he had an up and down post season. That said, he ain't going anywhere. Rochell flashed glimpses and should only improve. Long held his own this year and should improve. Haley is pure depth and could be cut with no repercussions.

FAs - Williams is the big name here. And I just don't see how he comes back, esp after leading the team in tackles in the SB (weird stat for an outside Ccool smiley I thought he regressed a bit, and maybe that is because the NFL had a year of film on him and how to attack his weaknesses. Maybe not. I'd like him back, but I'm not breaking the bank on him. Deayon - I thought he was solid. Scrappy, 16th in total tackles, 2 PDs. i'd like him back.

S:

Rapp and Fuller are or were the opening day starters. I'm not so sure that is the case going forward. I think Fuller is fine, and plenty young. Rapp could be in theory cut with basically no dead cap, and save 2.5m. Now, do I think that happens? No. But I'm throwing out possibilities. Scott, wow, from a ST only pick to an absolute season saver on the back end. I like the idea of a Scott/Fuller backend. Burgess...loved the pick, have no idea why he is failing so badly. He has time to turn it around. He has the ability. Now its up to him if he wants it bad enough. Gervase is either depth or cut to save 900k.

FAs - Weddle, I know he is retiring, but I just wanted to bring up his name to say that his playoff run was insane. From 2 years off, to calling the plays and playing 100% of the snaps in the SB, with a torn pec, is beyond belief. No one would believe it if you wrote a book on it. I'll personally never forget what he did for this team. Brooks is the other FA, I'd like him back.

So onto FA:

Miller I think over any of the FAs, comes back. If the Rams fail to sign OBJ and Miller, I could see AD actually calling it a career. So yeah, Miller comes back. 1 year deal, maybe 2. Front loaded if possible.

OBJ - I mentioned him. With the injury, I think he comes back. Rams world class trainers and med staff helps. And he wants to be here. And he'll be fresh for the home stretch. In the meantime the Rams ride with Kupp, Woods, Jefferson and Skow with Tutu and Harris. Thats very good.

Williams - I just am not sure on him. I could see it go either way. He's unrestricted and could get paid. CBs tend to get paid on the market.

The OL, I'd like Noteboom back, I'd like Corbett back and 1 of the 2 OCs back. I think Boom comes back, otherwise they would have traded him for a pick before the deadline. Corbett and Allen I have no idea. I think Corbett is the more likely one to come back.

I think Howard at ILB is gone and maybe Reeder as well. Both aren't coming back.

Michel is also gone, unless he comes in cheap. He's basically the 3rd back on the depth chart. Funk and Jones can fill that.

So what holes will the Rams have in FA and the draft they need to fill?

OL probably at least on the interior.
I think ILB is a major hole. FA is thin, maybe Vander Esch...no chance.
maybe finding a vet CB to pair opposite Ramsey on a short term deal. Maybe Miller could convince Harris Jr or Fuller to come for a year...pipe dreams are fun. IDL could use a depth piece. There is a ton of veteran IDL that might want to ring chase next to AD, Gaines, Floyd and Miller for a year.
A cheap vet TE for depth would be amazing.
Maybe a safety. Devin McCourty on a 1 year deal would be cool.

The draft is rough, considering the Rams draft outside the top 100. That said, OL, ILB, S, CB, RB, TE I think would all be in play. Maybe a developmental QB? If one falls. Its a weak QB class.

Knowing now that Akers is healthy, I'd wait on a RB, but grab one late.Same thing with TE, get one late. Or later than pick 101 or whatever.
If the Rams lose Williams and Deayon, they have to go CB early.

Really the Rams need OL, ILB, CB and S in some order. Safety last. Edge if Miller leaves, but I'd suspect they go the FA route there. Maybe RB and WR depth, esp if OBJ and Michel go.

Oh, I said there is a scenario where I might not sign Stafford longterm. If AD and McVay called it a career after 2022, maybe you start over with a new coach and let him pick his QB. Trade Ramsey while he still has value and do a soft reset.

But as long as the Rams have Stafford, Woods and Kupp, they have a chance. And I cannot imagine the Rams really hitting the reset in 2 years. But I like to look at every option available. As dumb as they may be. And it is dumb.

Thanks for reading.

Don't waste your time looking back, you're not going that way. - Ragnar Lothbrok
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

my year in review/ looking forward to the off season (long and boring and most likely wrong)

Deadpool900February 17, 2022 05:43PM

Re: my year in review/ looking forward to the off season (long and boring and most likely wrong)

AlbaNY_Ram382February 17, 2022 05:59PM

who knows, but you bring up a good point

Deadpool204February 18, 2022 05:11AM

Thought Howard played well in playoffs

promomasterj158February 18, 2022 10:13AM

Re: my year in review/ looking forward to the off season (long and boring and most likely wrong)

Coy Bacon192February 17, 2022 06:24PM

you are welcome sir

Deadpool321February 18, 2022 05:11AM

Rams43226February 17, 2022 08:19PM

I think we are mostly on the same page

Deadpool156February 18, 2022 05:12AM

It looks like the Rams have a three-year window to win another SB

Rams Junkie211February 17, 2022 09:08PM

really good stuff in here

Deadpool170February 18, 2022 05:13AM

enjoyed that RJ....thanks nm

21Dog105February 18, 2022 05:27AM

dodgerram265February 18, 2022 12:44AM

I think we are actually closer than you think

Deadpool176February 18, 2022 06:07AM

Rams43131February 18, 2022 06:12AM

Awesome post.. my only input..

sstrams325February 18, 2022 02:25AM

Great Review Disagree on Bobby Evans

den-the-coach185February 18, 2022 03:25AM

Re: Great Review Disagree on Bobby Evans

Rams43261February 18, 2022 06:18AM

This is what really ticks me off about the Rams drafting Tutu

Deadpool171February 18, 2022 06:20AM

Yeah, that was a huge mistake..

sstrams124February 18, 2022 07:48AM

Re: Yeah, that was a huge mistake..

JYB222February 18, 2022 11:41AM

Re: Yeah, that was a huge mistake..

Ramstien98February 18, 2022 12:48PM

Re: It does make me think of Candidate and Robert Thomas

leafnose101February 19, 2022 04:14PM

Re: This is what really ticks me off about the Rams drafting Tutu

AlbaNY_Ram111February 18, 2022 10:46AM

Re: This is what really ticks me off about the Rams drafting Tutu

Ramstien99February 18, 2022 12:52PM

I guess we’re gonna be pulling on this Tutu/Creed scab for the next 10 years…

Rams43119February 18, 2022 06:33AM

Give Tutu at least next season before kicking him to the curb

dodgerram136February 18, 2022 07:57AM

Re: Give Tutu at least next season before kicking him to the curb

Rams43121February 18, 2022 11:03AM

Re: Awesome post.. my only input..

Ramkind137February 18, 2022 07:26AM

Re: Awesome post.. my only input..

Ramstien91February 18, 2022 12:56PM

Thanks Dead: What about David Long

David Deacon215February 18, 2022 03:33AM

Ramstien142February 18, 2022 03:49AM

Brooks

CROMWELL21160February 18, 2022 04:00AM

oldmanram151February 18, 2022 04:27AM

They need to retain Powell

BigGame81160February 18, 2022 04:41AM

Agree BG81

Deadpool186February 18, 2022 05:06AM

Re: They need to retain Powell

Rams43124February 18, 2022 06:24AM

great read as always

21Dog291February 18, 2022 05:26AM

3030123February 18, 2022 06:11AM

Rams43118February 18, 2022 06:49AM

3030116February 18, 2022 07:34AM

Long was in there, here you go

Deadpool187February 18, 2022 06:26AM

Good stuff as usual....

roman18123February 18, 2022 07:58AM

"boring" ?? Yeah, I don't think so....

RAMbler139February 18, 2022 10:22AM

JYB122February 18, 2022 11:43AM

Ramstien103February 18, 2022 01:08PM

Great write up bro

Speedball8998February 18, 2022 01:00PM

Great stuff DP, not too long, not boring AND

stlramz115February 18, 2022 02:13PM

Center

Rams Junkie237February 20, 2022 10:38PM