Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: I think that is true only in part...

November 16, 2017 03:56AM
zn

I'll post articles about the problems with Air Raid qbs.

It is universally regarded as an issue when drafting qbs.

Some of these extracts are just meant to demonstrate that the transition from the Air Raid is considered problematical.

Some of them comment on the actual reasons for that.

It includes btw Rams qn coach Greg Olson commenting on having to learn the process for calling plays in the huddle.

Because of time constraints this is just a smattering. More as time goes on probably much later.

Matt Waldman

I was wrong to think that Jared Goff was the most pro ready of the 2016 rookie quarterback class. I underestimated the difficulty of the transition from Cal’s Air Raid offense

[mattwaldmanrsp.com]

BLAIR KERKHOFF

[www.kansascity.com]

Tyler Bray was fortunate not to grow dizzy during his first practices as a professional quarterback.

“I remember the first couple of pro practices, I’d step in the huddle and about a third of the way through, I’d step back out,” Bray said. “I’d go back in, and step out again.”

College football to the NFL can be a mind-spinning adjustment, especially for a quarterback who had run some variation of a no-huddle spread offense.

Bray’s teammate Patrick Mahomes is the latest test case, and his progress will draw plenty of attention for multiple reasons.

For one, Mahomes is the first quarterback in decades clearly identified as an heir apparent by the Chiefs, who through a succession of general managers had not been fond of the draft and develop approach.

Also, Mahomes, when he takes over for Alex Smith as the Chiefs starter, seeks the success unknown to most of his predecessors who led an Air Raid offense.

Many modern, passing-based college offenses feature similar components, but the Air Raid stands out for its don’t-blink tempo and scores and statistics that seem to defy the game’s natural order.

Rams expect No. 1 pick Jared Goff will defy Air Raid QBs’ shaky NFL history

[www.ocregister.com]

Spread concepts, such as those in Goff’s collegiate offense, are hardly a new trend in college football. Over the past five years, the number of snaps collegiate quarterbacks have taken under center has plummeted by more than 40 percent. And at Cal, where Coach Sonny Dykes has installed his version of the “Air Raid” offense, quarterbacks operate pretty much exclusively out of a no-huddle, up-tempo, four-wideout, shotgun look that relies heavily on the pass to spread out defenses.

Pioneered by longtime Kentucky coach Hal Mumme and current Washington State coach Mike Leach, the Air Raid is known to produce high-scoring games and head-turning stats in order to disguise other inefficiencies, and that was certainly true at Cal during Goff’s tenure. Last season, Goff threw for 300-plus yards in 10 of Cal’s 13 games and three or more touchdowns in eight, in spite of a patchwork offensive line and serious lack of weapons.

What the Air Raid isn’t known for is producing viable NFL quarterbacks.

The rest of the Air Raid’s recent history in the NFL is, more or less, a graveyard of failed quarterbacks. Only Rams quarterback Nick Foles, who ran an Air Raid offense at Arizona, owns a career QB rating of better than 80. But when asked to play under center in St. Louis last season, even he devolved into arguably the NFL’s worst starting signal caller.

The most encouraging recent example of an Air Raid transition to the NFL might actually be the guy who took Foles’ place, Case Keenum.

But the reality with Air Raid quarterbacks has been bleak: Why this is the case is far less clear. Some argue that the progression-based system on which the Air Raid is predicated makes the quarterback’s job easier than usual in college, setting them up for a rude awakening in the NFL. Others suggest navigating the adjustments that come from snapping under center – with footwork, pre-snap reads, and the like – are drastic, sometimes insurmountable changes

. [www.sbnation.com]]

“In the shotgun, their eyes are never off the defense, there’s very little play action pass, they almost have a pre-snap, pre-determined read with where to go with the ball and then all of a sudden they’re in a pro system,” Senior Bowl executive director Phil Savage said in January of quarterbacks forced to make the shift.

“They’re having to actually call plays in the huddle, go under center, turn their back to the line, play action fake, now the coverage has moved and on top of that, the guys on the other side are pretty good too. ... Same sport, two different games.”

Being under center can also present mechanical issues. Taking a three-step or five-step drop is often new to quarterbacks who were asked to do little more than turn their shoulders and fire in shotgun.

Jacksonville Jaguars quarterback Blake Bortles has struggled with accuracy early in his NFL career, and much of that has been attributed to his poor footwork after playing often in the shotgun at UCF.

"Every day, we try to hone it down to a couple of things, whether it's footwork or understanding a situation or situationally," Jaguars offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett told the Florida Times-Union in 2015, when he was a quarterbacks coach. "Sometimes, I think we have to all sit back and go, 'Wow, he's still very young.'"

Bortles is just one of many quarterbacks who has been inconsistent while moving to an offense that asks for an increased amount of time under center.

An NFL playbook is basically a phonebook

Davis Webb got a taste of the transition to an NFL offense when he participated in the Senior Bowl in January. After the first day of practice with Cleveland Browns head coach Hue Jackson, Webb said the biggest challenge had little to do with what was happening on the field.

“I’ve done a pretty good job of going read to read and understanding the concepts, understanding the protections,” Webb said. “I think it’s just the verbiage and the length of the play and saying it in the huddle, actually huddling up, controlling the snap count. But those are all things that can be done, though. It’s the nuances of an NFL offense.”

An Air Raid play card could have as few as 50 plays, relying on the spread-out formations to present as many options as possible and create an open target without necessarily asking a receiver to beat a defensive back.

That means tighter windows and a whole lot more information to process, diagnose, memorize, and relay to teammates.

“Some guys can handle that; some guys can't,” Jackson said in March. “Some guys can handle it early, and some guys can't. I think those are the things we have to find out. Some guys might be really able to process football but can't play as well. Some guys play as well and can't process football.”

When the Rams selected Jared Goff with the No. 1 pick a year ago, they intended to give him an entire year on the sideline to adjust to the NFL. But then the team tanked with Case Keenum at quarterback, and Goff replaced him late in the year. Goff threw just five touchdowns and seven interceptions.

New Rams quarterbacks coach Greg Olson believes that had plenty to do with the verbiage of an NFL offense.

“A lot of things he was doing at Cal, he did it at the line of scrimmage with one-word codes,” Olson told the Los Angeles Times. “There’s a little bit more to that in the NFL.”

Goff’s difficulty with the NFL playbook looks like a hurdle for most of the 2017 class, as well. And many passers, like Goff, won’t get much time to figure things out.

from Deadpool

if Goff’s frustrated at not starting then maybe he should have went to a College with a real offense and not that vaunted Bear Raid.

It boggles my mind, how everyone just thinks he should be able to walk onto a football field and win the starting QB job, when he has NEVER done the following:

Call a play in a huddle
Take a snap from under center
completely change a play at the LoS
dropback and throw (alot of that is getting the timing down)

in fact the playbook, if I remember my Air Raid offenses is a progression based read offense with 10 passing concepts, 5 screen concepts and a handful of run concepts. Its a real simple offense once you understand 20 or so concepts.

And Im not making fun of Cal, but he has a learning curve. It is dangerously steep.

Things he has done:
Somewhat read a defense. he did have a few options every play at Cal.
Made progressions.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2017 04:02AM by zn.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Who choice was it to trade up for a QB

Ohiorams842November 15, 2017 07:40AM

Re: Who choice was it to trade up for a QB

six2stack309November 15, 2017 07:45AM

PHDram288November 15, 2017 07:47AM

six2stack265November 15, 2017 07:52AM

lol

PHDram312November 15, 2017 08:16AM

Re: lol

six2stack396November 15, 2017 08:40AM

You can say whatever you want

max260November 15, 2017 08:46AM

Re: You can say whatever you want

PHDram224November 15, 2017 09:48AM

Rams43250November 15, 2017 10:02AM

Killrazor226November 15, 2017 10:26AM

PHDram226November 15, 2017 10:05AM

six2stack231November 15, 2017 12:50PM

Rampage2K-265November 15, 2017 07:51AM

i didnt predict anything

PHDram231November 15, 2017 08:20AM

Amen

Blue and Gold182November 15, 2017 08:41AM

I don't buy any of that for a second

zn243November 15, 2017 08:20AM

Me either, but its not that simple

max202November 15, 2017 08:44AM

That is my memory, too

Blue and Gold214November 15, 2017 08:49AM

that's just not based on anything real

zn219November 15, 2017 08:55AM

People talking isn't real?

max262November 15, 2017 10:36AM

Re: People talking isn't real?

zn255November 15, 2017 02:38PM

Re: People talking isn't real?

max281November 16, 2017 01:42AM

Fisher wouldn't know a good QB if he saw one

RockRam261November 15, 2017 08:35AM

Re: Fisher wouldn't know a good QB if he saw one

six2stack365November 15, 2017 08:44AM

max225November 15, 2017 08:38AM

I totally believe this...

PaulButcher59272November 15, 2017 09:22AM

SK would understand the marketing sense

Blue and Gold234November 15, 2017 09:30AM

Isn't this old news?

waterfield200November 15, 2017 03:56PM

Re: Isn't this old news?

zn219November 15, 2017 04:19PM

waterfield207November 15, 2017 05:38PM

zn314November 15, 2017 05:49PM

waterfield225November 15, 2017 08:12PM

waterfield323November 15, 2017 08:14PM

zn203November 15, 2017 08:21PM

waterfield219November 15, 2017 09:21PM

zn185November 15, 2017 09:40PM

Are we really pulling up a 2016 article to answer this question?

BumRap189November 15, 2017 09:07PM

Re: Are we really pulling up a 2016 article to answer this question?

zn207November 15, 2017 09:46PM

Tell me the difference...

JamesJM187November 15, 2017 09:51PM

Re: Tell me the difference...

zn192November 15, 2017 09:58PM

I think that is true only in part...

JamesJM199November 15, 2017 10:14PM

zn244November 16, 2017 03:19AM

zn279November 16, 2017 03:56AM

Mine.

alyoshamucci186November 16, 2017 02:59AM