Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sando QB tiers from last year.

February 03, 2021 10:48AM
This was from August 2020...

TIER 2
A Tier 2 quarterback can carry his team sometimes but not as consistently. He can handle pure passing situations in doses and/or possesses other dimensions that are special enough to elevate him above Tier 3. He has a hole or two in his game.

Tier 1 votes: 5 | Tier 2 votes: 38 | Tier 3 votes: 7 | 2019 Tier: 2
Stafford has played 11 seasons, owns no playoff victories, is coming off a broken back at age 32 and actually ranks two spots higher than he did last year, with a higher average tier vote. Voters liked what they saw from him last season.
“Two at the minimum,” an exec with NFC North ties said. “He was trending to a one this past year before he got hurt. If that joker was healthy, he would have been a one this year. I think he’s doing better and fits better within the scheme (under coordinator Darrell Bevell).”
Stafford set career single-season highs last season for yards per attempt (8.6), EPA per attempt (0.26), passer rating (106.0) and Total QBR (69.6). The Lions still went only 3-4-1 in his starts.
“Why he hasn’t won more, I always try to put my finger on that,” a coach with extensive experience against Stafford said. “We always talk about the culture. Pat Mahomes comes into the league and sits behind Alex Smith, and you have Andy Reid there. If you put Matt Stafford in that situation his rookie year and he gets to see, ‘OK, this is a Hall of Fame head coach, a quarterback that has been around the league that I can learn from and see his habits.’ I don’t know if Matt Stafford has ever been exposed to what it’s supposed to look like.”
This coach and four other voters placed Stafford in the top tier. Seven others showed their exasperation with the quarterback’s failure to drive team success by placing him in the third tier, despite his obvious talent.
“He is the opposite of Watson,” an evaluator who placed Stafford in the third tier said. “Same kind of thing with Derek Carr. Big, strong arm, a couple ‘wow’ passes here and there, but you’re not a consistent winner and your errors sometimes lose the game.”
Multiple coaches and execs from teams that have faced Stafford frequently said they fear facing him regardless.
“If you landed him in Pittsburgh or San Francisco, you’d see a winner,” a defensive coordinator said. “He is going down that Carson Palmer road. Carson never really won until he got late in his career, either. Carson could always throw the ball. He was a first-round pick. He got to Arizona and he made some things happen. Never quite won the big one, but he was still a damn good quarterback.”

TIER 3
A Tier 3 quarterback is a legitimate starter but needs a heavier running game and/or defensive component to win. A lower-volume dropback passing offense suits him best.

Tier 2 votes: 13 | Tier 3 votes: 37 | 2019 Tier: 2
The first quarterback selected in the 2016 draft ranks third in this survey behind Wentz and Prescott among players selected in that class. He is also the only one to start a Super Bowl, but with the Rams’ roster losing key contributors, voters do not think Goff is going to make up the difference.
“It’s almost like a system guy and if it’s not right there for him, he can’t make @#$%& out of nothing and that is what the really good ones do,” a secondary coach said.
A defensive coordinator whose team faced the Rams last season called Goff a systemized quarterback who gets shaky in the pocket against the rush. An exec said he thought Goff struggled to see the field. A defensive coach said he saw some Mitch Trubisky in Goff — as in, what exactly does either one do exceptionally well? And then there is the familiar criticism suggesting coach Sean McVay is doing the work for Goff by reading coverages and relaying adjustments through the headset before the snap.
“Goff is a two and he is better than any of these critics want to give him,” an offensive coach said. “Remember when New England was stealing the hand signals, telling Brady the coverage on every play and he was just killing it through his first five or six years? I don’t give a coach that much credit because the guy has the ball in his hands and has to make the plays. Watch the production. The Rams are not a high-percentage pass team. They throw it up the field. They ask a helluva lot of Goff with the types of throws they make. Goff makes a lot of really, really good throws.”
Nearly all voters agreed Goff needed the Rams to revive the running game that was their signature when Todd Gurley was in peak form.
“The team fell apart around him,” an exec said. “He struggled in blowouts. Who wouldn’t? I’m not ready to toss him aside yet. He definitely took a step back, though.

~ max ~
“The consciousness of good intentions disdains ambiguity.” - Alexander Hamilton
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

LA Rams: Charles Robinson explains why Rams soured on Goff...

Rams431179February 03, 2021 10:17AM

How will McVay and Stafford Mix?

BearlyThere695February 03, 2021 10:23AM

IMO McVay didn't want to micromanage Goff, he had to

RockRam164February 04, 2021 02:43AM

Sando QB tiers from last year.

max434February 03, 2021 10:48AM

Great article

Stafford9264February 03, 2021 01:36PM

Perhaps "the standard is the standard" is too vague a motto

ramzilla424February 03, 2021 04:04PM

Re: Perhaps "the standard is the standard" is too vague a motto

ramBRO233February 03, 2021 04:29PM

I guess what I am learning is

Stafford9231February 03, 2021 06:56PM

Re: McVay assumed Goff knew expectations?

hammer142February 04, 2021 01:15PM

here is the video.....

Rampage2K-264February 03, 2021 02:10PM

And there it all is right there

Old Goat478February 03, 2021 02:11PM

Also lends credence to those who question McVay

BumRap534February 03, 2021 07:31PM

You're being kind

Ram49224February 03, 2021 07:40PM

Re: You're being kind

BearlyThere265February 04, 2021 01:53AM

endless receiver screens etc

PHDram151February 04, 2021 03:55AM

exactly

Stafford9187February 04, 2021 01:28PM

So just how does this guy know all this stuff for sure?

RockRam166February 04, 2021 02:04AM