Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Peeling apart Goff vs. McVay

January 04, 2021 03:01PM
Background: Longtime Cal fan here with deep roots with the Rams from my Father and Grandfather. I've become a big fan watching almost every game since Goff was drafted.

Note: I also follow all the Cal players into the pros like Goff and Rodgers. Did a stint as a sideline reporter at Cal during my time there when we were lucky enough to have Aaron Rodgers and Marshawn Lynch at the same time.

As someone who has watched Goff over the last 8 years I want to peel apart what is Goff versus what is McVay.
Overall I think McVay is a VERY good coach that builds a strong culture and team. Is he a perfect fit for Goff? Probably not, with the caveat that there probably aren't too many better places for Goff and the Rams would likely have a tough time getting a QB as good as I think Goff can be.

Goff Background
I agree that Goff has taken a step back the last several games. He is playing more tentative and is forcing bad throws. Has Goff peaked? I don't believe so. It looks to me like he is overthinking and suffering from mental lapses. How do I know?

1. At Cal, Goff was awesome at both the quick pass game and deep game. He was never a "Check-down Charlie".
2. He led us on so many 4th quarter comebacks with ice in his veins. If we lost, it was our defense or the receiver missing a catchable ball.
3. Countless times he led 50 second drives when we needed a quick score. This is very rare under McVay...(see below)
4. At Cal, Goff was often a slow starter but would get stronger as the game wore on. He didn't suffer from mental breakdowns in the 4th quarter like previous quarterbacks or the competition.
5. His offensive line at Cal was horrible. They ran a vertical set and he rarely had time. He would maneuver and get the ball out quickly. Something he did well in 2018 but not as well this year.
6. Goff was money against pressure in college. Someone can look up the stat. All I could find was this espn article Jared Under Pressure Meaning Goff at one time was good against pressure.

McVay Observations
Once again, I think he is a VERY good coach! Rams are lucky. 4 straight winning seasons. Superbowl appearance. Should he be OC too? Maybe not.

1. Under McVay, the rams have been mostly poor in the 2 minute drill. Goff was terrific at 2minute. No Huddle? No problem! It also shows when the Rams are down that they struggle to score quickly. Is this intentional? Does McVay want to keep time of possession to protect the defense? All short-route YAC receivers? Is the goal 10 play drives all the time?

2. He always spends every second talking to Goff until the 15 second mark. Part of what makes McVay a top coach is that he prepares his team very well. He has notes for all players all the time. He drafts/recruits football junkies that care like he does about the nuances. Is this too much for Goff to process 60 plays a game every game? Is he overcoaching Goff to the point of analysis paralysis? I tend to think this is the case. The way to confirm would be to see if Wolford or whatever future QB suffers the same climb then drop after a few years of McVay. Anyone who has followed McVay with Griffin/Cousins, did the same climb and drop-off occur?

3. Redzone problems. Goff was never Rodgers in the redzone but he was pretty good at Cal. McVay on the other hand was not at Washington. I think this is more play calling and formation. If you have a huge TE/possession WR you can throw those fades. Gives you more power-blocking options as well or add another lineman.

4. Control freak? One of the most interesting things I thought to happen was Matt LaFleur leaving after one season. I think I read it was because he wanted to call plays? Now he is HC at Green Bay and they have done very well. Aaron Rodgers appreciates him overall especially versus that hack McCarthy. There's been a different Offensive coaching staff aside from McVay every single year at the Rams. That could explain some of the inconsistency for Goff.
How much of losing coaches is McVay's Personality versus guys getting poached like Zac Taylor?

Overall I suspect that McVay is over-coaching at times. He struggles to manage the clock and it results in a lot of penalties/delay of game. It doesn't give Jared a lot of freedom to get a play, go the line and take advantage of what he sees. He often has about 10 seconds to get the play out, look around and go. Sean's primary goal on every play appears to try and take advantage of matchups. The problem is that great defensive coaches have learned how to disguise the matchups and trick the rams.

Goff with another team next year?
I feel like there are very few places where Goff would do better simply because of the team Snead and McVay have built. The OL is mostly young and getting better. They have good playmakers. Defense is awesome. Hope we keep Staley.
Coaches where he would probably do better:
- Payton New Orleans (hate that guy but a good coach).
- Shanahan SF (he puts his players at physical risk but a darn good coach)
- LaFleur GB
- Reich Indy
- Daboll Bills (Not sure but I feel like Allen was way more raw and playing very well).

Rams better without Goff?
Very hard to say. I enjoyed Wolford very much this week and had a feeling he was a hidden gem based on AAF performance and preseason. He looks like more of a gamer and his feet obviously add a dimension. OTOH, Three times in that game he took a HARD hit to the head while diving forward (once he was sliding). He won't last a season if that keeps up. Teams will also adjust to his running abilities making him less effective over time.

If it were me, I'd play Wolford against the Seahawks as he will change the playbook and make it harder on the Seahawks. McVay can't over-coach him much yet. He only has one game of film. Re Goff, I don't see how anyone that had both a fracture and dislocation on their throwing hand could be ready in ~12 days to play a professional football game. Sit and rest Goff unless Wolford hurt. Heck if you have Bortles he could be your backup to Wolford for a game or two.

My hope for this year is Goff is back for the NFC title or Super Bowl and wins!
My hope for next year for is McVay to find an OC that he trusts to give the reigns to and they keep Goff and win a back-to-back Super Bowl!

What about you? What percentage would you attribute to Goff versus McVay for the struggles? 75%/25% Goff? 50%/50%?
Can McVay be HC and OC?
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Peeling apart Goff vs. McVay

BearlyThere856January 04, 2021 03:01PM

Re: Peeling apart Goff vs. McVay

Rams43310January 04, 2021 03:10PM

Headslap75227January 04, 2021 03:28PM

BearlyThere220January 04, 2021 03:37PM

Headslap75190January 04, 2021 03:59PM

Interesting post. Good stuff.

stlramz539January 04, 2021 04:54PM

Re: Interesting post. Good stuff...great read

BumRap197January 04, 2021 05:54PM

Re: Interesting post. Good stuff...great read

BearlyThere238January 04, 2021 06:15PM

kw13251January 04, 2021 05:29PM

I was leaning McVay most at fault...

JamesJM366January 04, 2021 06:06PM

Re: McVay and Goff need an offensive coordinator

hammer215January 04, 2021 06:21PM

Re: McVay needs to take the training wheels off the bike and let Goff actually ride it.

oldschoolramfan136January 05, 2021 07:35AM

I don't know, I think he's letting Goff run it now...

JamesJM262January 05, 2021 07:56AM

Re: I don't know, I think he's letting Goff run it now...

dzrams143January 05, 2021 08:08AM

Re: I don't know, I think he's letting Goff run it now...

oldschoolramfan125January 05, 2021 08:34AM

Yes, that's the question....

JamesJM126January 05, 2021 08:57AM

Re: A Different Perspective (Long Post)

RamsFanSince69219January 04, 2021 07:19PM

Rampage2K-532January 04, 2021 08:02PM

Leoram150January 05, 2021 03:00AM

AlbaNY_Ram145January 05, 2021 04:31AM