Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: There is one very convenient solution, Sag.

October 03, 2016 09:53AM
ArizonaRamFan
Injury.

If Keenum gets injured, it becomes the obvious decision to go with Goff over Mannion unless Goff is still just an absolute mess and I don't think he is.

Keenum played just downright solid yesterday. Not spectacular, but nearly everything we could ask for out of him. And SURELY he's got the team's respect, since the Rams haven't been 2 games above .500 since 2006, when most these guys weren't even in the league yet.

But an injury turns a difficult decision with no clear answer of "when". Sooner is better than later, but you just don't jerk a QB who's 111 against a respected passing D. The risk to Fisher is immense, either way.

On the other hand, you don't just *not play* your QB of the future for even one series because his backup is playing "good enough". People make a superficial comparison to Rodgers sitting his first couple years, but.... Case Keenum is simply NOT Brett Favre. Goff has to see the field, THIS YEAR, for his development.

I agree with you 100% that we're going to run into a game or two this year that Keenum just can't win, due to hard limitations in his physical ability. Then the coach will have a decision with two bad solutions: throw the starting QB into a situation with the deck stacked against him, or throw his QBOTF into the teeth of wolves on his very first start, risking damaging that QB through humiliation and loss of confidence. Honestly, I thought that the referenced game was yesterday @AZ. I thought the Zona D was going to take advantage of him, but he proved his ability... or exposed their inability. I don't know.

The only way around this eventual conundrum is a major injury to Keenum. NOT that I'm hoping for it, all I'm saying is that unless Keenum falls apart Foles-style, this is the ONLY way to make a tough decision easy.

That's all 6 of one half a dozen of the other.

Any game where Keenum couldn't pull through would also be a game where a rookie is likely to falter.

Think of it this way.

Why create worries.

NOW people are worried that Keenum will start all season?

If it's not one thing to worry about it's another? cool smiley

Either way I don't worry about that. I just figure they will start Goff when they're ready and that may or may not have anything to do with Keenum one way or another.

And I don't worry that Keenum could lose games Goff could win because I figure there are games Keenum the vet could win that Goff the rookie couldn't.

The better version for me is this. The Rams have the best #2 qb they've had since I don't know when, and he's a scrappy starter and gamer with tons of intangibles; AND they have a very highly picked rookie qb with what sure looks like rare talent; AND they developed their 3rd round qb into what looks like a candidate worth keeping an eye on.

That's a good situation.

Personally I am enjoying it.

If I worry about anything it's not qb. It;s the defense. If the defense falls apart for some reason then the scrappy placeholder probably can't help them win and neither could the green rookie.

But I actually don't fret over the defense falling apart. I just kind of acknowledge that if that should happen, as unlikely as it is, that would be the real problem---not qb.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2016 09:58AM by zn.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Case Keenum keeps winning, Jared Goff remains on the bench

RamBill725October 03, 2016 08:25AM

Re: Case Keenum reminds me of the little train that could

jim beam517October 03, 2016 08:44AM

IMO, this is really a double-edged sword.

Saguaro454October 03, 2016 09:19AM

Re: IMO, this is really a double-edged sword.

zn396October 03, 2016 09:39AM

There is one very convenient solution, Sag.

ArizonaRamFan374October 03, 2016 09:42AM

zn354October 03, 2016 09:53AM

Correction.

ArizonaRamFan328October 03, 2016 10:05AM

Re: Correction.

dzrams334October 03, 2016 02:30PM

Well, Davis had a great preseason too

ArizonaRamFan239October 03, 2016 02:35PM

Re: Correction.

zn354October 03, 2016 03:16PM

max496October 03, 2016 09:55AM

Glad we've got Keenum, then.

ArizonaRamFan335October 03, 2016 10:10AM

Rookies all over the league are playing and protecting the ball

promomasterj390October 03, 2016 11:14AM

Re: Rookies all over the league are playing and protecting the ball

zn253October 07, 2016 06:04PM

I'm kinda on the fence on this...

Rams43432October 03, 2016 12:49PM