Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Some things that I’m hoping to see too, we agree on most counts

September 21, 2023 08:30AM
On Evans: I'm as big an Evans fan as there is, but I don't want to see him in a game until his ball security issue, revealed in pre-season, is remediated. I don't have a clue as to how good he is at pass protection. Akers wasn't much, either, and I saw Evans as potentially a more powerful, decisive runner than Akers.

Both weigh 215 - or did last season. That's also Marshawn Lynch's playing weight. Lynch didn't lack for power at that weight - Akers does. While Evans is not another Lynch, he leans more toward being that kind of a running back. Like you I want to see what Evans has - when he's well-rounded and ready.

Freeman meanwhile can take over short yardage and third down duties, giving Williams a rest. He's big, powerful, and fast enough to make ground-gaining runs, sees creases and holes develop, anticipates and makes powerful quick bursts through them. I look for him to suit up and have a role against Cinncinatti as a short yardage, third down rotational back.

However he does it, McVay needs to call more runs - especially late in games. That said, there has to be a threat for the runner to go more than 1.9 or 3.2 yards per carry - the D has to respect the run. Downfield blocking is a big part of that. The reporter who watched plenty of all-22 confirmed what I thought I was seeing - players were missing assignments and "not there" to get the one or two blocks that would spring a runner after he clears the first and possibly second level of the defense.

It's not a simple issue. It has many facets. The holes have to be there. If not, the runner needs oomph enough to plow through what there is and get some yardage anyway. Williams shows a surprising ability to squirt through where Freeman will burst through or plow through. When the runner gets through, the blocking downfield has to be there.

The playcaller has to be consistent and persistent, waiting for the running game to develop. A good running game fatigues the defense and that shows later in the game.Very often Lynch didn't get uncorked for big gains until after the half. When he did, Russell Wilson became more effective. Count the players in the box. A defense that has to respect the run late in the game and at the same time play against the pass is in trouble.

As to Tomlinson, I want to see him too. Is there a matchup question against bigger receivers? Going into Cincy, has Spoon fully recovered from the cheap shot, or will his time be split, allowing Tomlinson to see more snaps? Kendrick played well against Seattle - except when he didn't. Is McVay weighing Tomlinson's rookie-isms and proclivity for hot-headedness against Kendrick's known quantities?

In the past coach McVay has shown a real reluctance to play rookies. He's over that this year, so my guess is there are things we're not seeing that the Lake/Pleasant/Morris/McVay brain trust is that keeps Tomlinson off the field.

McVays overriding philosophy is to put the players in who give the team the best chance to win - not to see how they'll do. It seems to be working - and with that in mind I'll curb my impatience to see Evans or Tomlinson on the field.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2023 08:36AM by mtramfan.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Some things that I’m hoping to see, preferably as soon as the Bengal game…

Rams43443September 21, 2023 07:19AM

Re: Some things that I’m hoping to see, preferably as soon as the Bengal game…

Old Goat134September 21, 2023 07:30AM

Rams43104September 21, 2023 08:14AM

Old Goat79September 21, 2023 08:39AM

BerendsenRam63September 21, 2023 03:30PM

AlbaNY_Ram65September 22, 2023 04:36AM

Rams4343September 22, 2023 05:45AM

AlbaNY_Ram46September 22, 2023 06:50AM

Rams4346September 22, 2023 06:57AM

mtramfan89September 21, 2023 08:30AM

Rams4373September 21, 2023 09:45AM

mtramfan72September 21, 2023 12:01PM

Rams4353September 21, 2023 01:45PM

Killrazor64September 21, 2023 12:25PM

Old Goat49September 21, 2023 02:36PM

Killrazor61September 21, 2023 10:38PM

David Deacon93September 21, 2023 07:39AM

Rams4379September 21, 2023 08:17AM

oldschoolramfan82September 21, 2023 12:47PM

I'm with you on several

LMU9371September 21, 2023 03:27PM

joram52September 22, 2023 01:56AM