Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Another nice response without making it personal

March 19, 2023 11:42AM
Deadpool
Ramsdude
Was McVay a little more unsatisfied with the D that we thought? Was he hoping Morris was going to be hired away but had to keep him when he wasn't? This is the defense McVay wants Morris to run. He wanted a Fangio style D and thats why he let go of Phillips, and hired a Fangio student in Staley. Morris comes from the cover 2 school from Monty Kiffin if I am correct. So Morris came in with the understanding that he would continue to run the Fangio scheme. I personally think Morris made the most he could with the ingredients he had. I know everyone hates the off coverage, but IMO and I will stress that its only my opinion, you just cant play alot of press man with a slow as molasses Kendrick at one corner and your 2 safeties that aren't exactly known for their pass defense in Rapp and Scott. If McVay didn't want to keep Morris, Morris would be gone. McVay has let go of plenty of coaches.

***It's hard to respond to posts like this but I will try. First, thanks for the non attacking response. Thanks for not trying to tell me I am a hater, or insinuating that I am an ignorant fan for having a different opinion than you. Thank you for not acting like I stole your GF. I appreciate that.

So, in response to "Morris would be gone" if he didn't want him here. I am not so sure. McVay can be loyal to a fault sometimes. The Colts stinging Morris along made it hard for McVay to move on from him even if he wanted to. By the time, Morris was told no, Fangio and most likely any other DC McVay liked were most likely gone. At that point, I don't see McVay firing a "friend" but I still think McVay wanted Fangio but couldn't get him again. His forcing Morris to run a scheme that he never ran before reinforces that notion.

The only good thing I can see is that maybe McVay is setting Morris up to fail so he can take his one page playbook and go play that soft crap somewhere else. Naw, its basically cutting off your nose to spite your face. My question for you is who are you actually mad at? Snead for bringing in players that can't play press man coverage? McVay for making Morris run the Fangio scheme in the first place, the players for simply not being up to the challenge or Morris for doing what he thinks is best given what he has to work with? For me, this falls on Snead and the scouting department.Find better players and players that fit the scheme McVay wants run.

***There is plenty of "angst" to go around IMO. I think each example you gave would be a legit reason for blame. McVay for trying to force a "system" on a coach who never ran it. Snead for getting the players that Morris needed to run it and Morris for only having one page in his playbook. The Charmin Shell. He is the most un-creative DC in the NFL IMO. If that's due to the scheme not being his, so be it. Then get rid of him and get someone who can run it better. Morris had 3 HOF'ers on his D and still only ran a prevent defense. Having 3 HOF'ers on the same unit shoould make up for "some" of the lack of talent, shouldn't it? Well, we won't know because Morris was too afraid to try anything different than that Ultra Soft Shell. Hence the lack of creativity. As for Morris "doing the best given what he had to work with"...If you think running a Prevent defense 95% of the time is what was "best", I will disagree. Anyway, if it's not Morris's scheme, how would he know what would work best in it or not. Also. as for the players "not being able to play press". You might be right but there is room for doubt since Morris to afraid to try it.

I am sure McVay has a plan but WTH is it? lol

In the words of Vince Lombardi, "What the h3ll is going on out there???".

Ramsey - very good CB. Amazing in run support, but he wanted a shiny new contract the Rams apparently weren't willing to give him. So they moved on. That was the best move for everyone involved. Does it suck? Yep. But longterm its the right move IMO.

Wagner - he wasn't a longterm answer at his age, so why kick the can down the road? Jones looks promising. Is he Wagner? No, not even close, but I think he is more than serviceable. And how often do 3-4 defensive teams have 2 ILBers on the field at the same time? Defenses are in nickel the majority of the time.

Floyd - He was vastly overpaid for his production. And if he was so amazing, given the emphasis teams put on getting good edge rushers, why hasn't he been snapped up yet? Are the Rams gonna miss his production? Oh yeah, but just not at that contract. And he had already been restructured, so that wasn't in the books.

Gaines - signed a 1 year deal worth what? If Gaines was such a vital piece of the defense, why didn't he Rams offer him a 3 year deal?

This one I have an issue with, as do I with Scott. If you are gonna go down the "F them picks" road, then you need to hit on later draft picks. Well, they hit on Gaines in the 4th round and Scott in the 7th round. They developed them into starters for a SB team and then let them go to other teams on contracts that didn't break the bank. I have no idea what Gaines is gonna make in NY, but on a 1 year deal, it cant be much. Scott is averaging 4m a year for 3 years and is 27? The vet min is something like 1m per, so you cannot tell me Scott wasn't worth 3m more than the minimum for 3 years...

Maybe I answered my own question, they think since they developed late round talents like Gaines and Scott and JJ3 and so on and so forth, they can do ith with guys like Lake, Yeast, the Brown boys, and so on. But I am just not thrilled with these 2 moves. ***This I can agree with and I think they can do it again but it might take a year or two***

Rapp - I was a fan of his in college, but he is a box safety that simply cannot cover.

And realistically, the Rams haven't really been burnt by guys that left in FA. JJ3 was way overpaid by the Browns and was cut. Darius Williams was OK with Jax, but another ryear with no INTs. And at 5'-9", is limited with what you can do with him. Fowler hasn't done much either. the Rams make seemingly good decisions in regards to their own FAs. So I'll trust the process, but don't mistake that for me liking or agreeing with it.

When I look at the players you mention above, is a defense with 3 hof'ers, Gaimes, Rapp and Scott all that bad? That's a pretty good core group of players.

Questions for you Deadpool.

How many other coaches would give their right arm to have 3 hof'ers on the D and to make it even better, have one HOF'er at each level?

Out of all the coaches that would love to have that talent, how many do think would only run a Prevent Defense behind them?

Seems like a misuse of hof talent from having a lack of creativity. As I said before, we have the most unimaginative DC in the game. I don't see how it gets any better after losing the only talent he had to work with.

Thanks again for the respectful reply Deadpool. You were able to get your points across without getting personal and insulting. Something some people have a very hard time doing! I very much appreciate that! beer cheer smiley

#HelmetHornsMatter

“Well, the color is good, I like the metallic blue,” Youngblood recently said while laughing, via NFL Journal. “The horn is terrible. It looks like a ‘C.’ When I first saw it on the logo I honestly thought it was a Charger logo.

“Now when I see it on the helmet, it just isn’t a ram horn. There is no distinct curl like a mature ram horn. I don’t know how the Rams could get that wrong. That is your symbol and it has been for what? Seventy years or more? Longer than I have been alive? It’s just not us, it’s not the Rams.”---Mr. Ram Jack Youngblood

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

If our D was so good, why are we blowing it up?

Ramsdude374March 19, 2023 03:01AM

Said all year, I thought the effort was lame too often.

Ramgator152March 19, 2023 03:34AM

Hard to agrue with the lame effort Gator

Ramsdude145March 19, 2023 05:20AM

Re: If our D was so good, why are we blowing it up?

AlbaNY_Ram154March 19, 2023 03:41AM

A serious answer

JimYoungblood53170March 19, 2023 04:00AM

Re: A serious answer

21Dog96March 19, 2023 05:57AM

Now that is funny Dog! Well done!

Ramsdude135March 19, 2023 08:18AM

Re: Now that is funny Dog! Well done!

BerendsenRam60March 19, 2023 12:05PM

IowaRam94March 19, 2023 04:17AM

LSURAM133March 19, 2023 04:35AM

Very nice post as always AlbaNY!

Ramsdude186March 19, 2023 05:43AM

Re: Very nice post as always AlbaNY!

Ramstien73March 19, 2023 05:56AM

Rams4399March 19, 2023 07:22AM

3030160March 19, 2023 06:03AM

Good point 3030

Ramsdude92March 19, 2023 08:20AM

RustyRay81March 19, 2023 08:23AM

21Dog77March 19, 2023 10:12AM

some answers and some questions

Deadpool98March 19, 2023 10:00AM

Re: some answers and some questions

303073March 19, 2023 11:09AM

Agree and disagree

JimYoungblood5382March 19, 2023 11:17AM

Another nice response without making it personal

Ramsdude74March 19, 2023 11:42AM

I'm gonna ask you for a favor.

Deadpool96March 19, 2023 01:18PM

Thanks for posting that Deadpool

Ramsdude75March 19, 2023 01:40PM

Fair enough

Deadpool96March 19, 2023 02:27PM

Agreed.

Ramsdude51March 19, 2023 03:01PM

Re: I'm gonna ask you for a favor.

ramBRO64March 19, 2023 01:48PM

You too Bro? Attacking the poster not the opinion?

Ramsdude68March 19, 2023 01:55PM

Re: Great questions and great answers! (must read)

BumRap61March 20, 2023 07:18AM

An FYI on the current lack of Oldnotdead post imports…

Rams43104March 19, 2023 12:15PM

I am ok with those oldnotdead posts 43.

Ramsdude79March 19, 2023 12:18PM

Re: I am ok with those oldnotdead posts 43.

Rams4387March 19, 2023 12:22PM

I totally understand 43

Ramsdude72March 19, 2023 12:39PM

I heard he was old and DEAD

ferragamo7973March 19, 2023 03:03PM

He and Mackeyser probably alive and screaming at clouds Attachments

JimYoungblood5374March 19, 2023 03:51PM

h2omelonhead82March 19, 2023 03:13PM