Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

American Eskimo (Standard)

November 03, 2021 06:54PM
They are described as bright, eager to please, lively, and fun loving—in short, an enjoyable and generally obedient companion. True to this dog’s spitz heritage, the Eskie is independent and tenacious and loves to run, especially in cold weather. They are among the most biddable of spitz breeds, and are calm and well-mannered inside. Because of their watchdog origins, Eskies can be wary of strangers, and may not be the best choice for homes with small children, other dogs, or pets unless well supervised.

I've had this breed of dog exclusively since 1982. My first was a female we got as a puppy and we had her for 17 years. The second was a female we got as a puppy and we had her for 14 years. My third and current Eskimo is a female we got as a puppy and so far we've had her for 7 years. They've all been very smart, very protective, playful dogs, but their personalities have been very different from each other. My 2nd one was "top dog" and I miss her every day because the current one just can't hold a candle to her.

The current Juneau loves to have her head, neck, and ears stroked and rubbed.... but don't rub her hips or shoulders. She'll let you know in a hurry that she doesn't like that. When we enter the house from the garage after running errands, she barks at us like we're intruders and I think it's her way of fussing at us because we didn't take her with us. She doesn't do the tail wagging, jump on us and lick us to death because she's happy to see us thing... ever. She has NEVER done that. She barks at us for about 10 minutes. We have to crate her at night because she WANTS to be crated. We've tried leaving her out at night (which is what we used to do with Juneau #2) so she can roam around the house and she doesn't like it. She'd rather be incarcerated. The current dog is stubborn as all get out and NOTHING scares her or intimidates her. If someone comes to the door, I can't open it if she's not crated. She turns into a Tazmanian devil and I can't even open the door to get a package, greet a repairman, etc. I've tried keeping her at bay with a fly swatter and that's just a joke. It's frustrating and annoying.

Both current dog, Juneau Finish and last dog, Miss Juneau, "assigned" RAMbeau to be their dog walker. When they need to go out, they go to him. However, they both considered ME to be the Alpha. I was the trainer, playmate, companion, masseuse, and food supplier. Every night when RAMbeau and I kissed goodnight, they'd growl and bark as if to say, "HEY.. she's MY girl! Get away from her!!". Very possessive and protective of ME, but not so much of other household members.

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Dog breeds re-visited...

JamesJM215November 02, 2021 05:08PM

There's German Shepherds

IowaRam71November 02, 2021 05:34PM

LOL, I'm kind of with you on that, Iowa...

JamesJM98November 02, 2021 05:43PM

Lot of screaming outside my office window right now...

JamesJM76November 05, 2021 11:35AM

Lily is the same way

IowaRam77November 05, 2021 02:04PM

Beagles.... sigh....

sstrams78November 03, 2021 07:57AM

Re: Dog breeds re-visited...

SeattleRam154November 03, 2021 10:56AM

Typical breed characteristics - Hah ! Attachments

waterfield87November 03, 2021 05:01PM

American Eskimo (Standard)

MamaRAMa83November 03, 2021 06:54PM

That's a breed I've never known...

JamesJM88November 03, 2021 08:56PM

Juneau pics Attachments

MamaRAMa193November 04, 2021 06:11AM

Re: Juneau pics

waterfield78November 04, 2021 07:54AM

Re: Juneau pics

MamaRAMa94November 04, 2021 04:28PM

That's a beautiful doggy...

sstrams74November 05, 2021 01:54PM

A movie you might be interested in

waterfield71November 06, 2021 09:56AM

I'll keep an eye out for it.. one you DON'T want to watch..

sstrams76November 06, 2021 10:49AM

Re: Dog breeds re-visited...

73Ram89November 04, 2021 02:51AM