Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Dog breeds re-visited...

November 02, 2021 05:08PM
I currently have two dogs... a Chocolate Lab and a Siberian Husky. NEITHER are even close to adhering to breed characteristics. For example:

The Siberian LOVES the water... is obsessed with water actually. When out for walks if Roxy, (the Siberian), spots a puddle she's going to dive in. Doesn't matter the weather.. rainy, cold, she's getting in the water. The Chocolate Lab? Lab's who take to water like a fish? Doesn't care for it that much. He will get in but only cautiously and sparingly.

Siberians while known for being gentle dogs DO possess a stand-offish demeanor, (or should according to breed characteristics)... at least around strangers. Not Roxy... Roxy loves people, any people. That Axe-Murderer about to exterminate your entire family? That would be Roxy's best friend. And Rocco, the Lab? Labs's.. known for loving any human being alive and so gentle that they make a diehard 60's Hippie seem a sociopath? Rocco, (the Lab), is schizophrenic. Wont' attack, (bite), but will bark threateningly from afar.. WHILE wagging his tail hoping the 'stranger' will "think" he's a bad ass while in reality isn't.

Rocco is bigger than Roxy... and older. BUT.. Roxy controls the dinner plate. Rocco must wait his turn. If we scold Roxy for not being more 'sharing' she pouts. Then after we depart she will give Rocco the cold shoulder for the best part of a day.

Neither pays a lot of attention to commands. They WILL show guilt but then both will continue with their instinctive bad behavior unable to ward off discipline. They exhibit their guilt very differently, however. Roxy, the Siberian, will stay close and do her best to hit you with a guilt trip... sad eyes, you know the type. Rocco, on the other hand, will go far away and cower... and note: neither has EVER been physically admonished. I think Rocco wants us to think we are terrible people who have abused him terribly... even though it's the exact opposite.

They both love us, her family... as long as us, (her family), are not out with them... in which case they vie for our attention to the point of nipping at each other. You cannot pet one without petting the other.. and when you pet the 'other' then the 'other' will throw a hissy fit and try to physically remove your petting hand from the 'other'. Jealousy is rampant.

The UPS guy has gotten into a very bad habit... he will drop my packages off all the way out by the road, (a good distance)... the FedEx lady, on the other hand, had made life long friends of both and after dropping off the package will spend another few minutes frolicking with Roxy and Rocco in my front yard.

Ok, so... does your dog(s) exhibit typical breed characteristics? - JamesJM
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Dog breeds re-visited...

JamesJM215November 02, 2021 05:08PM

There's German Shepherds

IowaRam71November 02, 2021 05:34PM

LOL, I'm kind of with you on that, Iowa...

JamesJM99November 02, 2021 05:43PM

Lot of screaming outside my office window right now...

JamesJM76November 05, 2021 11:35AM

Lily is the same way

IowaRam77November 05, 2021 02:04PM

Beagles.... sigh....

sstrams78November 03, 2021 07:57AM

Re: Dog breeds re-visited...

SeattleRam154November 03, 2021 10:56AM

Typical breed characteristics - Hah ! Attachments

waterfield87November 03, 2021 05:01PM

American Eskimo (Standard)

MamaRAMa84November 03, 2021 06:54PM

That's a breed I've never known...

JamesJM88November 03, 2021 08:56PM

Juneau pics Attachments

MamaRAMa193November 04, 2021 06:11AM

Re: Juneau pics

waterfield78November 04, 2021 07:54AM

Re: Juneau pics

MamaRAMa94November 04, 2021 04:28PM

That's a beautiful doggy...

sstrams75November 05, 2021 01:54PM

A movie you might be interested in

waterfield71November 06, 2021 09:56AM

I'll keep an eye out for it.. one you DON'T want to watch..

sstrams77November 06, 2021 10:49AM

Re: Dog breeds re-visited...

73Ram89November 04, 2021 02:51AM