Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Unless you count PED's, of course...

October 01, 2018 05:26AM
Lemme' tell ya how long it had been since we played... I got a blister. Not a bad one... but I got one.

When our gig calendar first began to ebb.... a few year's ago.... I bought a pair of drummer gloves because I knew that 'blisters' could be likely. Problem is: I hate them. I HAVE worn them... but having never worn them in the past they didn't feel right to me. Probably more 'mental' than anything but I just couldn't get used to them. At this last gig I didn't wear them because I didn't bring them... hence the blister. However -

Upon teardown I found that actually yes, I had brought them... for some mysterious reason I had put them in my cymbal case instead of my stick case so I didn't notice them when setting up. But... not to worry, we have a 'bye month' coming up so I should be good to go after some rest and recuperation.

Not practicing is a bad thing. A very, very, very bad thing. I always do a few rudiments when we set up just to get loose.... a paradiddle, and to get 'feel' I try to do a smooth buzz roll. This gig Sat. I knew I was in trouble immediately when I couldn't get the paradiddle down and my smooth roll was anything BUT.

As the night wore on those rudiments and my stick control improved, (even with the blister), but never the less I was not happy at all with my performance. Which brings up a huge advantage I have over a guitar player like you, Steve. On those nights when things just aren't quite 'clicking' I can back off.. and back off considerably... and have a 'great' night... getting meter down, keeping a simple but nuanced beat going WORKS for a dummer.... whereas a guitar player, especially the LEAD guitar player... can't do that.

It's kind of 'strange' what getting old changes.... speed mostly. If I concentrate on meter and nuance I can still play some nice stuff.... but the rowdier stuff that requires more speed, even if technically much easier to play, is a challenge.

And while I'm at it: My most difficult challenge in my current band. We have a rhythm guitar player who is a good ole' country guy... never really mastered his guitar, or music period. Played solo most of his life. He has this habit of slowing and speeding up during songs... and I have to try and follow. It's tough, to say the least... because it can happen instantly, not a gradual slowing or increasing of tempo but instead he can do so suddenly and with no indication that it's coming. He's singing during this so when it catches me off guard it's ME that sounds like I've lost the beat. laughing smiley I've played so long with him I have learned when he's most likely to do that BUT.. he still catches me leaning every now and then.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Long day for me, Steve... football, music...

JamesJM192September 29, 2018 06:35AM

Re: Long day for me, Steve... football, music...

RamsFootballFans.com87September 29, 2018 09:38AM

OK-what's a "flintstone"? (nm)

waterfield82September 29, 2018 09:58AM

Flintstone brand vitamins.. Attachments

sstrams214September 29, 2018 11:04AM

Thank goodness for Flintstone vitamins..!

sstrams76September 29, 2018 11:02AM

Yup, I owe Fred a huge thanks... I made it thru the day.

JamesJM144September 30, 2018 04:29AM

No drugs or alcohol, huh?

sstrams158September 30, 2018 07:43AM

Unless you count PED's, of course...

JamesJM77October 01, 2018 05:26AM

paradiddle?

21Dog81October 01, 2018 05:59AM

Basic drum riff....

JamesJM87October 01, 2018 06:17AM

I hear ya, Jimmy..

sstrams73October 01, 2018 06:31AM

Interesting point... losing interest....

JamesJM93October 01, 2018 06:40AM

Exactly..

sstrams82October 01, 2018 06:48AM

callouses / loss of interest...

RAMbler83October 01, 2018 10:47AM

More like mermaid man and barnacle boy...

JamesJM89October 01, 2018 10:59AM

Oh yeah.. when I was a teenager..

sstrams82October 01, 2018 12:42PM

Over the years we had 'roadies' a few times...

JamesJM80October 01, 2018 12:55PM

Yeah, I definitely get that..

sstrams77October 01, 2018 01:13PM