Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: I think its a heavy lift

February 05, 2020 10:30AM
I like the idea of either FA guard... the injury history of Scherff gives the edge in preference to Thuney although to too read that Thuney is not as strong in the run game and the Rams so desperately need some of that toughness.

IMO there is so much uncertainty with the OL and there is no way the Rams can just stand pat with what they have. Trading Havienstein is the right move and I don't think we have much choice but to resign Blythe but drafting a center/guard seems smart to me

I do appreciate the effort here tho' man... good stuff

I always look to see where you are on this stuff.

dzrams
I post a mock offseason every year. This year I haven’t looked at any draft stuff yet so it’s just going to be the plan through free agency and the general draft strategy.

The primary focus is on improving the OL. They have a lot of young pieces but no standout performers for the OL and I honestly don’t believe that this offense returns to top 3 status without a better than average OL. I simply don’t see them going into another season with question marks on the OL.

Unfortunately, focusing on the OL means that we endure some painful losses on the defensive side. I think that Fowler and Littleton get huge offers elsewhere and walk. IMO, because of the anchors in Donald and Ramsey, the defense has a better chance of absorbing the loss of the two LBs and still being ok than the offense does if it doesn’t have a top performing OL.

On to the plan....

Cuts:

Eric Weddle - This cut saves $4.25M on the cap. With JJ coming back, Rapp in the fold, and Weddle being but a shell of his former self, it’s time to thank him for his veteran leadership this year and move on.

Trades:

Havenstein - Saves $5.4M on the cap. Bobby Evans’ emergence makes Havenstein expendable. The purpose of the trade is to free up $5.4M to use elsewhere on the line. I believe he’s tradeable since he’s shown himself to be a solid RT that had a down year due to injury.

Re-sign:

Andrew Whitworth - He resigns for 1 year at $7.5M. At nearly 40, he was still the best Rams olinemen and his replacement in Noteboom isn’t ready since he’s coming off of a major injury. Noteboom becomes a super sub and continues to be groomed for the LOT spot next year.

Austin Blythe - 2 years at $2.25M per year - I don’t think Austin will be very expensive to resign. He provided a steady vet presence to stabilize the OL in the 2nd half. He was much better as a center than as a guard so he will be penciled in as the starting center. However, this signing doesn’t preclude them drafting an upgrade if one is available but it does mean that drafting a center is no longer an acute need. The general idea is to head into the draft with very few acute needs. That’s when Snead is at his best.

Marqui Christian - 2 years at $3M per year - Marqui was a solid part of the very strong secondary. He is excellent depth. Between JJ, Rapp, and Christian the Rams safety room is in great shape.

ERFAs - Johnny Mundt, Josh Caraway, Coleman Shelton are all good depth and are cheaply retained for one more season before they become restricted free agents.

Players Let Go:

Other than the 3 players resigned above and the ERFAs, everyone else walks. Fowler, Littleton, Brockers, Zuerlein, Bortles, Hager, Fox, Natson, Mike Thomas, and Dante Deayon. The first three guys should get strong offers elsewhere which means that they should get 2 high comp picks in 2021 assuming that we sign a vet OL as my plan calls for. One other possibility is them restructuring Goff’s contract to franchise tag Fowler for the purpose of trading him for a 2nd this year.

Free Agents:

Joe Thuney, LG - 5 years, $13M per year - My guess is the Rams, with the loss of Saffold this last year, are acutely aware of the need for a strong vet presence and top performing interior OL player. The two options are Scherff and Thuney. Both are highly ranked guards. I’m going with Thuney because I believe he’s the most realistic for two reasons. The Pats will probably let him walk because they’ve already committed dollars to the guard opposite him. Secondly, he’s a LG which means we can leave the right side of the line alone. Both Thuney and Scherff would provide a long term, veteran presence like Whit did several years ago and take this OL back to a top 5 unit like in 2017. IMO, this is necessary for Goff to thrive.

Alternative option: Brandon Scherff, RG - 5 years, $14M per year - Scherff is very good in pass and run blocking while Thuney is best in pass blocking and not quite up to Scherff’s standard in run blocking. He may be tagged and I don't relish the idea of upending David Edwards again or he'd be plan A.

Draft:

With no acute need on the OL, the draft would be heavily focused on DL and LBs while still keeping an eye out for a center upgrade, another WR or RB, and a kicker. (Names for draft picks will follow in a couple of weeks or month...)

Thoughts everyone?
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Dzrams' Offseason Plan

dzrams656February 05, 2020 08:50AM

Re: Dzrams' Offseason Plan

Rams43181February 05, 2020 09:15AM

dzrams137February 05, 2020 09:34AM

Rampage2K-118February 05, 2020 09:31AM

dzrams109February 05, 2020 09:40AM