Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I'm not a big fan of Noteboom as the pick at #87

Anonymous User
April 28, 2018 03:15AM
I'm not a big fan of Noteboom but the Rams desperately needed help on the Offensive Line in this draft.

I'm not going to pop off and say Noteboom was a reach in the 3rd round and Snead's scouting department was clueless with the pick.

I think most of us agree that this was as much of need pick as any position group the Rams had going into this draft.

I'm not upset with the selection of Noteboom and I don't think there were way better OT's on the board like some fans might argue.

Like many of us Rams fans, I can only hope Snead and his crew got this pick right based on future the vision for the
O-Line in 2019 and beyond.

Of all the position groups, I do the least amount of film review on the O-LINE. It's a tough group to scout and you have to watch every single snap of them on running a passing downs to get a clue.

There can be a lot of guessing on their actual blocking assignments let alone projecting their upside from the college scheme they played in.

Joseph Noteboom, OT, TCU: 2018 NFL Draft Scouting Report

by Erik Lambert1 month ago

STRENGTHS:
Has a big body and a good power base. Defenders tend to go the opposite direction when he gets a head of steam coming at them. Seems to have adequate footwork. Isn’t caught flat-footed very often and does a good job of anchoring against bull rushes.

Shows solid awareness to pick up pass rushers late either after double-team blocks or on stunts and blitzes, managing to run them out of their lanes to the QB.

Noteboom here showcases the ability to get back into his pass set quickly, giving up no edge space to the rusher. He’s initially jarred by the first punch but manages to maintain his balance and not get knocked off his feet. The QB has enough time to unload the football. It happens so quickly but this was a good block that could’ve gone very wrong.

Has enough mobility to pull or get to the second level on screens and run blocks. He’s not an elite athlete but he’s not hampered in any category. Pass protection really stands out when his hands are right. If he gets the inside grip, the rep is over.

He stonewalls guys with regularity. For being a big guy who spends the majority of his time with his hand out of the dirt, he does a pretty solid job of maintaining good pad level to maintain leverage.

WEAKNESSES:
This problem also shows up in his lack of punch. He does try to give the defenders enough of a jarring block to throw off their timing. Hand and arm technique need work. Too often lets defenders get into his body, which will open him up to easy spin and counter moves.

This is a perfect illustration of a savvy pass rusher using better hand technique and long arms to force Noteboom into almost completely whiffing on the block. This forces Noteboom to blatantly hold the guy to stop him from crushing the quarterback. That will be called for a penalty quite often in the NFL.

Doesn’t always play to the whistle. Has a tendency to cease his blocking when it seems like the play is over, allowing his assignment to get in on the play.
Seems to show a somewhat passive style.

Not much aggressiveness or any sort of mean streak. He never really tries to impose his will when blocking. Can tend to get a bit frustrated at times and that impacts his play. Has to learn to get over his mistakes quickly and move to the next play. Pro Comparison: Chris Williams

The former 1st round pick had a lot of potential when he came out of Vanderbilt but there were some holes in his game that raised a red flag or two. Most notable was his inconsistent hand usage and his general lack of nastiness in his blocking. Injuries eventually slowed him and he was moved to guard where he became a decent player. Noteboom has a similar style and body type. He should be able to stay at tackle though if he avoids injury.

Projection: 3rd Round
Not enough things stand out about Noteboom to make him a top 64 pick. He’s got upside for sure but he’ll likely require a year of work before he’s ready to man an edge for an NFL team. How high he goes will depend on how much work he puts into and how bad he wants it when he finally arrives up here.
[nflmocks.com]

Scouting Report: Joseph Noteboom (Draftblaster)
2018 NFL Mock Draft
DraftGeek’s Mock Draft
School: TCU Position: Offensive Tackle Class: Senior Height: 6-5 Weight: 319 lbs Projected Draft Round: 4-6

Scouting Report: Has a confounding prospect profile that is typical of most of the offensive linemen coming into the NFL lately- shows signs of good technique, balance, hand usage, bend, etc., but is wildly inconsistent. This pattern has much more to do with the offensive systems and the type of coaching they are receiving, as it doesn’t match what is expected of them in the next level.

However, he showed well during the Senior Bowl, and if teams decide that circumstance is the reason that his tape is what it is, he could move into middle, even upper rounds. He has a big frame, but needs to add more quality bulk, but his athleticism and technique have shown enough to get the attention of scouts.

Video Highlights: If you have the patience, you can watch every snap of him from this game vs Baylor and see many positives but negatives as well.
[www.draftblaster.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2018 04:13AM by Florida_Ram.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

I'm not a big fan of Noteboom as the pick at #87

Anonymous User741April 28, 2018 03:15AM

Rams used to toss off 3rd rounders

max307April 28, 2018 03:27AM

several

zn304April 28, 2018 04:21AM

That is an excellent track record

NewMexicoRam339April 28, 2018 04:41AM

Re: That is an excellent track record

zn208April 28, 2018 05:57AM

Its not about the track record, it's about expected outcome