Re: Good caveats..

March 03, 2018 02:33PM
laram
dzrams
laram
dzrams
Rams43
Exactly, dz.

Last year they got good production and good results from such as Webster, NRC, and Barwin.

Nary a top tier FA among them.

Why couldn’t they do something similar this year at CB, NT, ILB, or OLB?

Then they could let the draft come to them taking BPA at need positions.

Sure makes sense to me.

Exactly.

I expect to see some 2nd tier signings just like last year.

I feel that Snead likes to head into the draft with having no acute needs.

They ended up middle of the pact on defense with TruJo and Quinn on defense and an offense that forced teams out of their comfort zones.

Webster was forced into the starting role and actually played like a backup.

So lets assume with a year of tape the offense is not quite as prolific as last season and the Rams need more from the defense.

I think that's a logical assumption.

Anyway the Rams are gonna need some playmakers other than Donald and Peters.

Not just Red Players and looking around I see a bunch of them.

I see your point. And agree that the defense could really use more playmakers besides Donald and Peters.

But I have a few counterpoints....

First is the assumption won't be quite as prolific as last season. (Let's assume Watkins is back b/c if he's not I'm really mad.)

While it's logical to assume that a year of tape could negatively affect the offense, I think that could be more than offset by improvements in Goff and McVay. They are both young and just perfecting their craft.

It's just as logical to me to assume that they both get better especially since, in the case of Goff, we saw him take a major step up in year 2 from year 1.

So overall, if there were no changes on O, I expect it to be better.

On D, it arguably had only Donald as a playmaker last season. AD was the engine that made the D go.

Quinn came on strong in week 10 but before that, he wasn't playmaking.

TruJ wasn't a playmaker at all last year so if Peters does what he typically does, the D already has an extra playmaker versus last year.

At best, the D had 2 playmakers last year from week 10 on.

Even without the addition of another playmaker, they will have two in AD and Peters which matches the amount they had for a small portion of the year.

BTW, I see Joyner as a playmaker.

All that said, I'd love to see them add another playmaker on D. I think they have the funds to do so if they want to.

The Rams offense had problems with top defenses last season.

Well they play more of them this season so they will need marked improvement from McVay and Goff.

McVay had issues in the redzone in Washington...I saw no improvement with the Rams.

Can he improve in that area and why after 3 years should WE expect that he will?

So the Rams D finished middle of the pack in D, 19th in points allowed against a 17th strength of schedule..

This season they step up to #5 strength of schedule.

Two playmakers and a bunch of Red players is not gonna be enough to offset the schedule change this season.

And looking at the landscape where is the help coming from, a draft pick, cuz there's no more money to add another top flight defender.

Two very good points.

I don't have an answer on McVay's weakness other than to say that he's still young; he can improve over time.

I have more confidence though that Goff will improve. Ultimately, the players on the field are the most important.

If your QB is making great decisions in the RZ, and has the weapons, that should eventually become a strength rather than a weakness.

In my 2018 Mock Off Season, I proposed signing Jimmy Graham to a short term contract to add another RZ weapon in order to make that weakness a strength. You poopooed that idea so... who knows. If they don't improve TE, they need major improvement from Goff.

On the D, something needs to be corrected.

Per Teamrankings.com, we had the 12th best scoring defense. Prior to the throwaway San Francisco game, it was the 9th best. It was 17th in yards per game.

I don't know what was 19th; I recall seeing that number somewhere too but it wasn't scoring D.

The D was better than middle of the pack last year. I want another playmaker to make it elite.

I can't say I agree that there's no money to add a top flight defender. I guess that depends on your definition of top flight.

I think they have the money to add a very good - not elite - CB that is a better scheme fit and costs less than TruJ. The CB market is abundant this year.

I don't expect players like Breeland, Rashan Melvin, Kyle Fuller to get TruJ money but they could still be upgrades because they are better at man coverage and will allow Wade to fully unleash his scheme.

With Peters being so inexpensive and Quinn being traded, they may have money for one of those types.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

I expect at least, 2, probably more, FAs to start on D this year

RockRam623March 03, 2018 03:36AM

I agree in principle

max210March 03, 2018 03:53AM

I am not sure Wade is concerned with run D

LMU93218March 03, 2018 04:08AM

After the Atl game, he'd better be

Old Goat196March 03, 2018 06:33AM

It was the second half...

jemach195March 03, 2018 06:39AM

Re: Delete...NM