Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: If you were McVay and Snead, what off season moves would you make?

January 10, 2018 01:00AM
I edited some of rockram's to make it shorter...

1) A dynamic change of pace RB behind Gurley
Yes, on the cheap, of course.

2) Depth on the Oline. This is the offseason to acquire our future LT and let him learn the ropes from Whitworth.
Get the guy to replace Whit this year with our #1--if he is there. Sign a center who can run block and make calls. Trade up in the 4th to Draft a guard if one is there.

3) Unless McVay thinks that Higbee and Everett are going to be substantially better next year, they need a better TE. I don't buy that Hemingway is that guy.
Yes, I give up on Higs with the playoff drop in the endzone. Keep him as TE #3, and for blocking. THough Carrier might be better in both anyway, we can't cut him. Everett will become a B+ version of Reed from DC. Everett has the moves and intelligence to make it happen; I am sincerely surprised that he didn't make big splashes in the last 6-8 games. I wonder what will become of Heminway---is he that guy??

4) NT. Westbrooks is a fine change-of-pace NT. But he can't clog the middle. We need a bigger, better NT.
Get a cheap, big ol fat guy who still has some juice--not from the draft. I wouldn't be surprised that if Tanz Smart puts on 15 pounds--then he could be come that guy at 6'0"...short squat, some quicks.

5) It is becoming clear to me that Barron has some injury issues that may not ever be resolved. So we need to let him go and get a new starting ILB.
His injuries might continue given where he lines up....so, maybe we do cut him, however.....
In my opinion, none of our losses can be attributed to Barron's light weight. The 4th quarter of the Vikings game, and the Redskins game in part might be because he was "engulfed" at the point. But we didn't lose any games because of him. (am I right, let me know).
However, in general, he is the toughest stud outside of Brockers we have on our team...and you gotta keep guys like that if you can. I think we keep him....unless we can save $8mill a year by cutting him

6) I can't imagine that Quinn stays. He just isn't a 3-4 OLB and his cap number is way too high.
I agree, however, Maybe Quinn is back if we don't find one guy in the draft or free agency. I am 85% sure we will, though smiling smiley SIGN the best passrushing OLB available....someone like an Orakpro....THIS IS THE HARDEST CHOICE OF THE WHOLE OFFSEASON. Is there anyone available....do we have to keep Quinn?
Quinn looks like he lost passion, and isn't a true 3-4 end anyway. He lost too much weight to make inside moves, and doesn't look like he can cover down the field. I thought his "wrestling' background would give him some 'technique' and the like---but to no avail.
Also, Ebukam looks very good to me; I think he is smart, fast, strong and has some atttiude; I expect some Kevin Green-like play from him on the strong side. No question he will be the starter.

7) I just don't think our secondary is good enough. we need to upgrade to have one shut-down type, at CB.
a) 100% agree; even if K Webster comes back healthy his techniqe on 9 routes is atrocious; doesn't locate the ball, and does all sorts of things that allow the ball to get through; that isn't playoff quality CB play. We need a 3rd rounder like Jeremetrius butler (Don Griffen, McKyer 49ers)...cheap (3rd-4th rounders) who are awesome run and chase guys with slight frames and can't tackle....why? Because if they could tackle, they would be 1st rounders!!!! Hello, mate.

b)We 'secure' the best free agent best corner, we still draft the 3rd-4th round guy who can man up all day long.
c)Kayvon as the 3rd CB---can he play slot? IF not, keep NRC.
d)Keep Troy Hill as our 4th....
e) If we need, we resign NRC as the slot corner. He isn't soooo great in my opinion. But, certainly better than the
Steeler slot corners through the years.

both Kayvon and Troy are 'startable' for 2-3 games
8) I am torn about our WRs. 2 excellent ones in Kupp and Woods. I have such mixed feelings about Watkins.
I trust McVay to make the choice.
However, if I make the choice I look for the next '9' route runner--a la Ted Ginn, Mike Wallace, Tony Martin, Flipper etc. Flipper caught 44 balls in 1989---not a lot. Watkins in 15 games caught 39. HOWEVER, I do know Sammy is a good route runner, unlike these "9" guys (4.4/40), and Sammy had 8 TDs--yes, he is huge in comparison. But, in our offense, Gurley, and the TE might catch 120-150 balls together. SO, will Sammy ever catch 60-80?? NO way, no way.
So, Sammyhas to be at the right price for me.

I will add: if we don't have a guy that requires safety help, our offense will sink to average in 2018. Sammy's job was very, very important. I do think Mike Thomas has some of these '9' route skills, along with other good route running that will cause safeties to fear. I don't like Josh Reynolds that much, but maybe he and Thomas together can do that....but really, it isn't whether they can--->>it is whether the safeties and the D coordinators think they can. Fear is more important than ability.

9) Sign Lamarcus to a 'good' contract'. If Lemarcus gets $2-3 million more elsewhere, well, letting him go might happen. JJ is a good FS. Find a cheap SS, or allow Blake Countess and the boys see if they can do it. I like Blake....he can't hold up a whole season, but that is why you resign Cody Davis. Joyner is a baller and a great player, but there might be other priorities.
10) Get a backup QB who isn't an embarrassment....with feet and enough arm
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

If you were McVay and Snead, what off season moves would you make?

RockRam721January 09, 2018 04:05AM

I side with fine-tuning and development

LMU93422January 09, 2018 04:35AM

Re: I prioritize the O Line...

spagsbacker318January 09, 2018 05:44AM

on the OL

LMU93265January 10, 2018 03:42AM

a point I keep returning to

zn322January 10, 2018 03:52AM

Re: a point I keep returning to

LMU93381January 10, 2018 04:04AM

zn284January 10, 2018 06:37AM

Rams43273January 10, 2018 07:57AM

AlbaNY_Ram246January 11, 2018 12:24AM

3030265January 10, 2018 01:37PM

Steve223January 11, 2018 08:52AM

dzrams427January 09, 2018 05:54AM

What a terrific thread topic!

Rams43319January 09, 2018 07:13AM

3030326January 09, 2018 06:38PM

Still say OL and edge rusher

brgjoe298January 09, 2018 10:42PM

Steve287January 10, 2018 01:00AM

k3552January 10, 2018 07:44PM