Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

If you were McVay and Snead, what off season moves would you make?

January 09, 2018 04:05AM
Do the Rams need 1) a little fine-tuning? 2) an infusion of more talent at certain spots? 3) some significant changes?

I fall somewhere between 1 and 2. To win 11 games or so again next year, a little fine tuning is needed. But to get deeper into the playoffs, there needs to be more than fine tuning.

Understanding that there IS a salary cap, and that this isn't fantasy football, here's some changes I'd like to see.

1) A dynamic change of pace RB behind Gurley (starter quality) that offers a real problem to defenses. Brown is OK, but is rather average. Dunbar is gone. Austin simply can't do much from the RB position because he's too small. Davis is a wild card because he didn't get to play....which itself is cause for concern.

2) Depth on the Oline. This is the offseason to acquire our future LT and let him learn the ropes from Whitworth. And we need Guard depth. Blythe, to me, can hold down the Center spot, but he's never going to be more than average.

3) Unless McVay thinks that Higbee and Everett are going to be substantially better next year, they need a better TE. I don't buy that Hemingway is that guy.

4) NT. Westbrooks is a fine change-of-pace NT. But he can't clog the middle. We need a bigger, better NT.

5) It is becoming clear to me that Barron has some injury issues that may not ever be resolved. So we need to let him go and get a new starting ILB.

6) I can't imagine that Quinn stays. He just isn't a 3-4 OLB and his cap number is way too high. At this point Barwin ought to be a back-up and spot player. So I'm saying we need 2 new OLB starters. I don't know if we have 1, 2 or none on the current roster. Longacre showed more than I ever imagined this year. But a possible star quality OLB is usually required to make a 3-4 D work best.

7) I just don't think our secondary is good enough. It's not bad, mind you. But we need to upgrade to have one shut-down type, particularly at CB.

8) I am torn about our WRs. We have two excellent ones in Kupp and Woods. I have such mixed feelings about Watkins. I trust McVay to decide if Watkins is the right fit for his offense or not. If they decide not to resign Watkins then they need that speedy deep threat and I doubt they get that in the draft this year; it'll have to be FA.

Other than that, I think development of the younger guys, just another year in the systems, improvement by McVay in game day scheme and play calling, and the experience of being winners and being in the playoffs will help them improve another step next season.

They have the salary cap to make some moves. If they release Quinn, Austin and Barron, they'll pick up about $21 million more in cap space.
And since LA seems to be a desireable place for many young people, and the Rams are now the hot, hip young team with the hot, hip young HC, I suspect that the Rams will have some choices in FA that they might not have had before this year.

May be more turnover than we (I?) expect. Because clearly the goal next year is the Superbowl. And now the Rams see where they stand and have a clearer picture of what is needed to get closer to achieving that goal.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

If you were McVay and Snead, what off season moves would you make?

RockRam720January 09, 2018 04:05AM

I side with fine-tuning and development

LMU93422January 09, 2018 04:35AM

Re: I prioritize the O Line...

spagsbacker318January 09, 2018 05:44AM

on the OL

LMU93264January 10, 2018 03:42AM

a point I keep returning to

zn321January 10, 2018 03:52AM

Re: a point I keep returning to

LMU93380January 10, 2018 04:04AM

zn283January 10, 2018 06:37AM

Rams43272January 10, 2018 07:57AM

AlbaNY_Ram246January 11, 2018 12:24AM

3030265January 10, 2018 01:37PM

Steve222January 11, 2018 08:52AM

Re: If you were McVay and Snead, what off season moves would you make?

dzrams426January 09, 2018 05:54AM

What a terrific thread topic!

Rams43319January 09, 2018 07:13AM

3030325January 09, 2018 06:38PM

Still say OL and edge rusher

brgjoe297January 09, 2018 10:42PM

Steve287January 10, 2018 01:00AM

k3551January 10, 2018 07:44PM