Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Why it turned out best for Goff (and the Rams) not to be the starter

August 30, 2016 03:25AM
I've read a lot of posts that says essentially that the deck was stacked against Goff. He was never given a fair chance to earn the starting the job. Didn't get enough time with the 1's, etc.

When did the conventional wisdom change from when it is ALWAYS best to give a rookie QB at least 1 year holding a clipboard, and usually longer? I think I know the answer. It was when FA was introduced and salaries began to skyrocket. It was when teams thought it best to take a QB from college very high in the draft and then "throw him into the deep end" and call it development. And it is when the media went to 24 hour per day TV channels where everything that happens is dissected and debated and then someone is either blamed or congratulated. In other words: enormous pressure was put onto teams to do what the media thinks they ought to do because they have the Bully Pulpit and sway public opinion. Football is, after all, entertainment. And if the public wants things a certain way, smart entertainers try to give it to them.

The Rams have a mature, mid-career QB who has started in the NFL. A guy who is still rising (albeit his physical limitations give him a low ceiling). He has been through 5 training camps and had 4 years of development. He knows the Offense and his teammates. He's careful with the ball, and not likely to lose a game for you. He's seen all kinds of D's so he can better recognize blitzes and schemes and know better what to do than any rookie. Clearly his teammates and coaching staff respect him and trust him. This is something that most teams who have just taken a QB #1 don't have.

We also have the situation that College offenses and Pro offenses are pulling farther apart in schemes, not closer together. Colleges used to help develop QBs for the Pros.....not anymore. Everything in college revolves around option running/passing and shotgun formations and single reads and no huddling (not universally of course, but mostly). There are the rare exceptions such as like at FSU. Thus, one of my favorite QBs to come out in a while, Jameis Winston, was far more prepared than the average QB for the Pro game thanks to Jimbo Fisher (who, by the way, I'd love to replace the current Fisher of the Rams).

Goff came from a fairly typical college system. He didn't take snaps from the Center and it was a heavy passing offense that ran from the shotgun exclusively. What he did have was a great pedigree, nice size (although underweight), a quick release, very good mechanics, excellent and quick footwork, natural balance, and good velocity with excellent accuracy. He played a ton of games, stayed healthy, and got better and better......as far as you can in this type of college offense.

We have all watched what happens to rookie QBs with great promise when they are forced to start when they aren't ready. It is truly tragic. Who can deny the physical ability of David Carr or Couch or Akili Smith and others who were thrown into the deep end and expected to learn on the job? And now with the new CBA that limits contact between team and player how do you quickly develop a position player let alone a QB?

Clearly Goff is still learning. He isn't processing fast enough yet. Yes, it's tough behind the #2 oline and with #2 WRs when our best WRs aren't very good. But the reality is that Goff is going to be able to learn by watching, practice reps, watching film, getting coached some more, and getting familiar with the NFL game. The traditional NFL way from before the new CBA and before mega-buck rookie contracts. He doesn't have to suffer the indignities of being battered and bruised an concussed, and then being doubted by fans and media when he is not instantly Brett Favre.

Goff is a skinny 21 year old with a great arm and a wonderful mind and disposition for the game. Fortunately for him, he's going to be given time to learn the breast stroke before he's thrown into the pool and told to sink or swim. Goff is going to be a good one and have a greater chance to succeed.

Of course, I predicted this and hoped for it unlike some who see it differently, so I'm quite happy with Keenum starting and Goff holding a clipboard. And I think for the Rams and for Goff, he'll be a better QB long term for it. He won't be seeing phantom rushers like poor Jimmy Everett. He won't have zippers on his knees, and become Checkdown Charlie out of self defense like Sam Bradford.

My hope is that Goff will more or less go the route of Aaron Rogers who had time to learn.
I hope Keenum and the Rams O is successful enough that Goff never sees the field this season except perhaps in the last few minutes if the Rams are winning a blowout. But, realistically, I suspect we'll see him by around game 8.

Next year needs to be Goff's year. Next year Keenum needs to go to another team and Goff needs to be named the starter before OTAs. Better for him, better for the Rams.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Why it turned out best for Goff (and the Rams) not to be the starter

RockRam1210August 30, 2016 03:25AM

Well said. (NM)

RFL447August 30, 2016 05:46AM

IMO, he needs to add 20LBs or more

Atlantic Ram422August 30, 2016 05:57AM

Re: IMO, he needs to add 20LBs or more

LMU93414August 30, 2016 06:17AM

Keenum is consistent.

RockRam430August 30, 2016 06:42AM

Consistently average

NewMexicoRam555August 30, 2016 06:59AM

Re: Why it turned out best for Goff (and the Rams) not to be the starter

Blue and Gold415August 30, 2016 07:17AM

Hoping Keenum can win 10 or 11 games seems delusional

promomasterj487August 30, 2016 07:59AM

Re: Hoping Keenum can win 10 or 11 games seems delusional

PHDram423August 30, 2016 08:04AM

How many passing TD's have the 1's put up?

promomasterj573August 30, 2016 08:26AM

Re: How many passing TD's have the 1's put up?

LARams17427August 30, 2016 08:54AM

none at all

TonyHunter87405August 30, 2016 10:10AM

It won't be QB play that holds us back; it'll be WR

RockRam329August 30, 2016 08:08AM

Denver hoping QB Trev Siemian can win games seems delusional....

SunTzu_vs_Camus341August 30, 2016 03:33PM

And best for Fisher when he gets his extension soon..(NM)

PaulButcher59490August 30, 2016 09:03AM

moklerman416August 30, 2016 09:03AM

LARams17384August 30, 2016 09:06AM

how did all those teams do that started the rookie QB???

Rampage2K-438August 30, 2016 09:47AM

Re: how did all those teams do that started the rookie QB???

moklerman313August 30, 2016 10:07AM

Let's see how we all feel after week 3 or 4

stlrams13419August 30, 2016 12:25PM

whoopty whoop

ferragamo79535August 30, 2016 04:47PM

Classicalwit412August 30, 2016 03:18PM

it turned out best for Goff (and Rams) not to be the starter

Anonymous User537August 30, 2016 04:11PM

I'm gonna unpack some of that

9er8er567August 30, 2016 05:43PM

Re: I agree that its best for a guy to develop...but...

BumRap402August 30, 2016 06:36PM