Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Love it! Though some cut and paste from last year

February 25, 2024 06:26PM
Gaines and AroB both gone in 2023...

That said Great work Deadpool as always.

Deadpool
I decided 7 years ago I was going to change the way I operated as far as my half assed scouting. I would still do 3 mocks, but it would be post senior bowl, post combine, and pre-draft. The senior bowl answers some questions, like can a D2 player compete with the big guys. How do they handle a pro style offense? How do they interview? The combine can confirm some stuff you think you see or don't see, but the combine is more for the interviews, drug tests and weigh ins.

As with any mock some assumptions have to be made. Here are mine:
1. I'm going to add the 4 comp picks. I'll assume they are at the end of rounds 5 and 6. So these picks are obviously fluid.
2. Free Agency is going to be important. There is cap to play with unlike last year.
3. Allen is already a cap casualty. Robinson is back on a 1 year deal. Dotson is important and I hope gets resigned. I think Fuller is gone, same with JJ3 and Witherspoon.
4. ARob or Gaines is gone. I expect the Rams to resign Gaines.
5. Wentz is gone. I hope I'm wrong. Would he take another 1 year deal?
6. As far as FA signings, I'd look at Edge and CB first and foremost.
7. I think they get Shelton done.
8. Next to Dotson, Jackson is the next biggest priority. I thought he was more than solid, is young, and shouldn't break the bank.
9. I won't do trades, but the Rams will move around and I know they want to close the gap between the end of the 3rd and middle of the 5th.

So, with that all figured in, the Rams need help at Edge, CB, S, RG, ILB and possibly LT. Depth needed at RB and WR and IDL. A QB certainly should be in the mix.

Let's get into this thing:

1.19 Quinyon Mitchell - CB - Toledo - 6'-1" 195 lbs. - He's exactly what the Rams like in a prospect. A football player. Prototypical size, should run decent, is smooth in transitions, fluid lower half and is a ballhawk. He instantly becomes CB1 on the roster. Dominated the Senior Bowl, so that checks yet another box.

Other guys to keep an eye on:
CBs: Terrion Arnold, Alabama is a better fit than McKinstry, Wiggins, Clemson is probably the best zone CB in the draft and would work, and the guy I really wanted to mock in this draft, Cooper DeJean, Iowa. I think he works outside, in the slot, at safety and as the STAR backer. Outstanding punt returner as a bonus.

Edge: Latu, UCLA is not a prototypical speedy, bendy edge rusher, but has an advanced pass rush toolbox and a nonstop motor, meds will be huge on him. Turner, Ala is the top edge rusher, so I don't see him falling to 19. Verse, FSU had a down year compared to last, but he would be exciting in a Rams lineup. Robinson, Penn St, might be the most explosive edge in the draft, but is more an athlete than football player at this point and will need development.

OL:
Graham Barton, Duke is a guy that Rams fans should get to know. He played OC, then LT. I think he moves inside and is either an OG or OC. He plays to the echo of the whistle, nasty temperment and is high IQ. He could replace Dotson or Shelton day 1. The other IOL is Powers-Johnson, Oregon, big, physical and athletic OC. OCs that go 325 and are that athletic are rare. I still think 19 is too high, but maybe not.
Lastly the OTs. I think Fuaga and Latham are RTs only, so I'm leaving them alone. Mims has started 8 games in his entire career, so he is off. THat really leaves Tyler Guyton, Oklahoma. I would only consider him after a move down. 6'-7" 328, with over 34" arms, he fits LT, and is NFL pass pro ready.

Brock Bowers, Georgia - I really think if he gets anywhere near the Rams pick the Rams will seriously consider going and getting him. He played all over and is a decent, not elite blocker. Most dominating TE I have ever seen. Go watch his Auburn game.

JJ McCarthy, Mich - the only QB that could be around that I would look at in round 1. Good arm, athletic and win with his legs. He needs a year or 2 behind a guy, but I love his youth and profile to be needle pointing up prospect.

WR:
Love the top 1/3 of the WRs. Keon Coleman, FSU would be a really nice addition to the WR room IMO. 6'-4" 215 and is a physical WR, perfect for a Redzone target, smooth route runner, but could improve, learning from Kupp could make him elite. Brian Thomas Jr, LSU is raw as a route runner, but he can take the top off and has outstanding size.

2.52 Chris Braswell - Edge - Alabama - 6'-3" 256 lbs. - Power edge, he's strong at the point of attack, can set an edge, can drop into zone coverage. He's a bit stiff and lacks ideal length, but all day power with an all day motor. Excellent STer to boot.

Other guys to keep an eye on:

CBs: it gets thin in round 2 IMO, that's why I snagged 1 in the first round, that said if they don't TJ Tampa, Iowa State at 6'-2" 200 is a nice fit, a tad stiff, so I like him in zone more than man, and he is aggressive against the run. Intelligent defender. Rakestraw Jr, is better at man than zone, but plays both well. Super twitchy, but not as strong as Tampa.

Edge: The other edge to consider would be Adisa Isaac, Penn St, 6'-4" 250, big motor, fast, and looks like a High IQ type to me. Rams will love this guys background. Team leader and ultra productive. Jonah Elliss, Utah is one more. Short at 6'-1", big time motor and just a danged good football player. Highly productive. Good against the run.

WRs: Lots of options here. Xavier Legette, South Carolina is a big, physical WR in the Nakua mold, kick returner to boot. Malachi Corley, WKU, another YAC stud in a shorter package, he's fun to watch once the ball is in his hands. A guy I think will be a "climber" through the process, Ja'Lynn Polk, Washington. Great frame at 6'-2" 205 lbs, Physical styel IMO with vice grips for hands, enough speed to press the top of a defense.

QB: The only guy I would take a shot at here is Penix Jr, Washington. He's a lefty gunslinger that isn't afraid to push the ball down the field. Med concerns and his poise under pressure push him down into the 2nd for me.

TE: Ja'Tavion Sanders, Texas is the only 2nd round TE I have. He's only 6'-3" but at 250 lbs and athletic as all get out, he's a mismatch issue for LBers, not a blocker though. Personally I wait on a TE for value further down the road.

OL: Paul, Houston is great in pass pro, but his run blocking needs help and I'm not sure he has the athletic ability to ever become more than a good LT. Van Pran, Georgia is one of my favorite OCs, big, athletic and smart, can work in any offense, 1 sack in the last 3 years, none in the last 2. If the Rams are looking for a true OG, Christian Haynes, Uconn at 320 lbs, and Cooper Beebe, KSU 335, are athletic, big and strong. Beebe is almost unmovable.

S: I could make a case for both Kam Kinchens and Tyler Nubin as fits. Better value down the road, and more pressing needs.

DL: Darius Robinson, Mizzou, is absolutely a Rams DL, I still need to watch some stuff on him and I currently have him as a 2nd rounder, he probably goes 1st round.

3.83 Cole Bishop - S Utah - 6'-1" 209 lbs. - I wanted to go other directions here, but I keep coming back to him. He has great size, is athletic, high IQ with a nose for the ball. He's physical, but not reckless. Can tend to tackle high at times. The Rams need backend help, and he's great value and a need. He can cover TEs and WRs, he's played single high, split S and was walked up into the box as a Star or extra overhang backer. Super versatile.

Other names that makes sense:

S: Beau Brade, Maryland is the other S, but my concern is the explosives he gave up due to him over-aggressiveness. Outside of that, he's a rock solid pick.

WR: This could be a sweet spot for a WR, but I have plans for that later. Brenden Rice, Ricky Pearsall and Jalen McMillan are 3 guys that fit the Rams WR room.

OL: Weird round IMO for a OL, Zach Frazier, OC WVU is a third rounder in my book, but most have him tabbed as a 2nd. I don't mind him in the 3rd. Van Pran, I think Van Pran is a 2nd rounder, but if he falls into the 3rd, I am all over him. Zak Zinter is a big, nasty OG, but his injury muddies his draft stock. (Broken fibia and tibia) he should be ok.

CB: Max Melton, Rutgers is a favorite of mine and this is a great spot to snag him, Kris Abrams-Draine, Mizzou is a fit as well.

TE: Sinnott, Bell and Stover are all in this range and round 3 to 7 is where the TE group finds its value.

RB: time to start looking at RBs here, Bucky Irving is a nice change of pace back, Brooks, Texas coming off injury might be a decent long term pick, Estime would be a great compliment to Kyren, Corum, Mich would also be a nice 1-2 punch back.

3.100 Dewayne Carter - IDL - Duke - 6'-3" 308 lbs. - High IQ, high motor, team leader that had a great week at the Senior Bowl, his run stopping ability will be a welcome addition to the Rams DL.

Other names that make sense:

See pick 3.83, same guys

5.153 Andrew Raym - Oklahoma - 6'-4" 315 lbs. - A OC that I liked at the Senior Bowl. He uses his hands well and has excellent contact balance coming off the snap. He needs to get stronger, but all the tools are there. I like how he competes through the whistle.

5.154 Joe Milton - QB - Tenn. - 6'-5" 235 lbs. - Nuclear reactor for an arm, elite size for the position, his legs are also a weapon. His accuracy is sketchy and Im not sure how well he can read a defense, but with the tools and it being the 5th round, I'm swinging for the fences.

5.177 Jordan Whittington - WR - Texas - 6'-1" 205 lbs. - Physical, in 1 word. High IQ, team leader, loves to block and self describes himself as "extremely physical" if this doesn't describe a Rams WR, not sure what does.

Other players that make sense:

TEs galore, ILBers to stack next to Jones, OL depth. RB run should start on day 3 and the continue into the 7th round.

6.191 Layden Robinson - OG - Texas A&M - 6'-3" 311 lbs. - Solid pass pro and run blocker, can work in any scheme and has upside. Will need time to develop, but a good foundation to build on.

6.212 Erick All - TE - Iowa - 6'-5" 250 lbs. - He has lined up all over at TE, is a plus blocker, and can press the seam as a WR. I think there is room to develop him into a really good TE.

6.217 Nathaniel Watson - ILB - Miss St. - 6'-2" 244 lbs. - LBer depth with good size, the ability to drop into zone coverage and has shown the ability to blitz. Physical play style. Was named top practice LBer of the week by his peers (OL and RB )

6.218 Jalyx Hunt - EDGE - Houston Christian - 6'-4" 250 lbs. - Project EDGE rusher that flashed at the Senior Bowl, he's a WR turned S turned OLB, that seems like he has a good feel for rushing the passer and also the ability to drop into zone coverage. He is a low risk high reward type with ideal size, length and athletic ability for the position.

Couple things in the recap.

1. I really think the Rams move around a ton to target certain players at certain spots, and I really thing they move 1 pick in the 3rd to drop into the 4th and add something later. There is no way the Rams don't end up picking in the 4th round.

2. I added 2 Edge, 1 CB, 1 OC, 1 OG, 1 DT, 1 S, 1 RB, 1 WR, 1 ILB and 1 TE

3. The CB could be CB1 out of camp, the edge, DT, RB, S, WR and ILB should also have a shot to be rotational pcs early, while the other Edge, QB, TE, OC and OG are all developmental.

4. I really wanted to add a WR in round 2, so I'm hoping they address the edge position in FA.

5. If Dotson isn't resigned and Shelton is, then OG becomes a major issue that should be tackled in the first 3 rounds. I'd strongly consider Beebe and Haynes in round 2, pushing edge to round 3 (assuming they don't make a splash in FA) or taking Zak Zinter in round 3. I think all 3 of these guys could become excellent RGs. Beebe was a RT/LG so he seems comfortable on both sides of the OC, Zinter has always been a RG, and Haynes was also only a RG.

As always feel free to ask questions, add comments or thoughts. I'll hopefully have time to reply to everyone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2024 06:27PM by stlramz.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Deadpool's 2024 Mock Draft 1.0

Deadpool1269February 25, 2024 05:31PM

Love it! Though some cut and paste from last year

stlramz162February 25, 2024 06:26PM

I cut and paste all my mocks at the top

Deadpool121February 26, 2024 08:42AM

Re: I cut and paste all my mocks at the top

AlbaNY_Ram124February 26, 2024 09:12AM

LOL

Deadpool91February 26, 2024 11:47AM

Re: I cut and paste all my mocks at the top

stlramz69February 26, 2024 12:10PM

Re: Deadpool's 2024 Mock Draft 1.0

Ekern55174February 25, 2024 07:14PM

Re: Deadpoole....Out of those 10....Who are the top 3 prospects?

oldschoolramfan145February 25, 2024 07:43PM

I think he is good

Deadpool131February 26, 2024 11:47AM

Re: I think he is good

alyoshamucci111February 26, 2024 12:05PM

yes Pratt, for those reading on their phones, Pratt is good.

Deadpool89February 26, 2024 12:34PM

Thanks for taking the time

OhioRamsFan98February 25, 2024 08:15PM

Excellent stuff.... Barton

Ram_Ruler129February 26, 2024 01:26AM

He has grown on me

Deadpool96February 26, 2024 11:53AM

Re: Deadpool's 2024 Mock Draft 1.0

AlbaNY_Ram117February 26, 2024 03:30AM

Can’t tell you how much I respect your work on these, Dead…

Rams4379February 26, 2024 03:59AM

great read once again nm

21Dog72February 26, 2024 05:02AM

Again thank you very much it much appreciated !

BerendsenRam47February 26, 2024 08:48AM

Love it, as always ...

alyoshamucci157February 26, 2024 07:27AM

Re: Love it, as always ...

Deadpool133February 26, 2024 12:32PM

Oh couple scheme questions .... Edge Coop and Wilson

alyoshamucci117February 26, 2024 02:04PM

I know what you mean

Deadpool96February 27, 2024 09:22AM

Thanks DP.....I really look forward to these

ferragamo7958February 26, 2024 12:20PM

"Impact" players at 19

merlin125February 26, 2024 03:13PM

Mitchell and Braswell

LMU9397February 27, 2024 07:35AM

Question I don't want to start a whole thread over

alyoshamucci136February 27, 2024 12:25PM

Harrison Jr will be WR1 regardless to me

Deadpool112February 28, 2024 10:30AM

Re: Harrison Jr will be WR1 regardless to me

merlin53March 03, 2024 09:37AM

Re: Bump

leafnose50March 03, 2024 05:58AM

I always enjoy your reads, I think this is going to be the Michael Penix draft

Stafford951March 03, 2024 10:25AM

Re: Deadpool's 2024 Mock Draft 1.0 BUMP

leafnose53March 14, 2024 04:55AM