Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

general mid-December thoughts: flexibility

December 16, 2023 06:56AM
To me flexibility is the way to describe it because, as it stands, they can go in a lot of directions to bolster the roster. But there are very few things they HAVE to do as far as big FA $$ or high draft picks.

I think they will go for free agent help at Edge and CB. Good NFL defenses have quality pass rushing and CB play. Period. And while they found a diamond in Young they can't count on (even in the first round) finding an Edge rusher that will come in and give them the immediate pass rush help they need. That said, after they do sign a FA Edge rusher I think the position remains a first round possibility. Having three quality edge rushers to rotate would never, ever be a bad thing.

I'd be all for re-signing Witherspoon but (like Dotson) depends on the market. Ideally their CB3-CB5 are Tomlinson, Durant and Kendrick and they can find a true CB1 in free agency while possibly adding another in the Draft (again, could be as high as late 1st round, maybe 2nd or 3rd).

With Yeast and Lake they have a good base at safety while having the track record of finding good safeties late in drafts. I think they can and will do that again. Plus I think Jason Taylor has some potential to develop into a 3rd safety. He's mostly played ST as a rookie but then so did Nick Scott.

On offense:

In general I'd be for keeping Wentz. Really, what would his FA market be? And if both sides think playing under McVay can help rehabilitate his career then why not? If somehow Bennett returned it would have to be as the QB3. He should have been considered the QB3 from day one when drafted but...

Assuming they end up drafting 16th-19th overall which seems likely now I'm not sure a QB is in the cards unless it's a 2nd round guy (Bo Nix?), which I'd be OK with. With Stafford showing he is still a top-12 QB in the NFL and an emerging OL I'd be totally fine remaining with him and looking at QB options in 2025.

Same at LT where, sure, they could draft a guy if the value is there. A 1st round LT (let's say a top 12-15 overall prospect falls to them) plus then having Jackson as the swing backup would be great. But I also think Jackson has shown up well late this season and overall been an asset and far from a liability. PFF rates him 56th out of 83 OT right now and I don't think he has peaked as a player. Having an inexpensive LT (under the RFA tender- even if that has to be a 2nd round tender) for another year would be a plus for their "team build" formula. More $$ frees up in 2025 and beyond.

Same with Shelton (rated 23rd out of 38 C by PFF). If a center is good value in the middle rounds, go get one to groom behind him and replace Allen.

I hope Dotson can be retained but I'm not paying a RG $15M+/year. It does not fit their team build and with bigger free agent needs at Edge and CB I can't see them paying above $9M/year. This team has worked hard to get their salary cap house in order and the worst thing they could do is try to go out on some big 2024 free agent spending spree. It's not practical and also just not necessary.

I would definitely try to back fill the WR position in the draft given that (a) Atwell and Skowronek will be free agents after 2024 and (b) Kupp will turn 32 in 2025. Find another 4th or 5th round developmental guy that can take on a bigger role in 2025.

At TE, they are set at the top with Higbee and Davis. Higbee will be 31 in January and needs a rebound year in 2024. if not they could save $5.4M in cap space in 2025. But do they like what Hunter Long was showing them as a TE3? Hard to know. Sort of expensive for that role but then again a 3rd, blocking TE is a valuable position they'd been missing for a while so maybe not. If Long goes I'd dip into 2nd or 3rd tier FA for a veteran blocking TE.

At RB, draft one every year on day 3. Period. Williams, Rivers and Evans are good to have but keep adding there every spring and hope you hit on every 3rd or 4th guy.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2023 07:00AM by LMU93.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

A peek at how I think Snead currently views his offseason options…

Rams43391December 15, 2023 07:09AM

Not one comment or reply?

Rams4384December 16, 2023 05:43AM

Re: A peek at how I think Snead currently views his offseason options…

droopy97December 16, 2023 05:48AM

303079December 16, 2023 06:00AM

Rams4379December 16, 2023 06:07AM

303077December 16, 2023 06:44AM

Re: Bennett

mtramfan85December 16, 2023 10:47AM

Nice breakdown

Ridgewood Ram88December 16, 2023 06:50AM

general mid-December thoughts: flexibility

LMU9381December 16, 2023 06:56AM

You are creating too many holes and thinking every pick will make the team

ferragamo7963December 16, 2023 09:30AM

Re: general mid-December thoughts: flexibility

Killrazor49December 16, 2023 10:08PM

oldschoolramfan104December 16, 2023 08:09AM

+1...

SunTzu_vs_Camus60December 16, 2023 11:22AM

The main effort ought to be defense, defense, defense.

RockRam45December 17, 2023 03:22AM

Question on how Snead Views team needs

David Deacon43December 17, 2023 07:05AM