Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A peek at how I think Snead currently views his offseason options…

December 15, 2023 07:09AM
Emphasis ‘currently’.

First thing is to make some important decisions at several key positions and each of these decisions will have ripple effects.

1. Do Rams like Wentz for future Stafford replacement and as current backup QB? And would Wentz be amenable and affordable in the meantime? OR will Rams opt to use a 1st for a QB that they really like from this draft class bumper crop? Or maybe trade up to get one? There is no higher value than acquiring a franchise QB and while Stafford is playing well right now the clock is always ticking on his Rams career. Yeah, choosing a QB is always risky but show me a playoff team that DOESN’T have a quality QB. I’ll wait…

2. Do Rams splurge on a top level FA Edge opposite Young or will they prefer to gamble on getting one high in the draft? Getting a good edge is a necessity, the only question is FA or the draft?

3. Will Snead similarly to go FA for a top CB or spend a high draft pick to get one? And is Witherspoon worth extending, as well?

4. This is reportedly a tremendous WR draft. Will Snead snag one or is he content with extending DeMarcus Robinson as a WR3? Or maybe he’ll do both?

5. Will a starting LOT even be there in the 1st when Rams pick and, if so, will Snead pounce or does he think AJ can hold down the fort at LOT now that he’s healthy?

6. Extend Dotson and where is the ceiling that Rams are willing to pay him?

These are just a few of the decisions that Snead must make before he even contemplates FA and later the draft.

Here are my hopes for Snead’s decisions:

Sign Wentz for immediate backup QB and future starter. This frees up many options for the draft and solves a looming void that may arrive sooner than anybody wants. Hopefully, Wentz will be amenable and affordable.

I would move heaven and earth to sign best available Edge. What better way to invest cap dollars on Rams biggest need and at such a premium position? Would make life so much easier for Rams new DC (see what I did there?)

I would extend Witherspoon if at all reasonable. A bird in the hand thing and he’s earned it. But I would keep an eye out for best value as another starting CB to pair with him from either FA or the draft. We’re too unproven at CB to entertain a SB run just yet.

I would keep AJ at LOT. Might not be All Pro but more than adequate if healthy. Besides, an elite LOT won’t be falling to us at picks 15-20 anyway, which is where I think we’ll be.

I would extend DeMarcus Robinson at a reasonable price despite the tempting WR draft class. Rams can still draft a WR if they want to. Heck, Kupp was a 3rd and Puka was a 5th. Maybe Snead will do both?

Might be smart to extend Shelton, too. Not an All Pro, but he is effective and this OL is gelling nicely.

Keep drafting a RB every year. This should be Rams policy for foreseeable future. Doesn’t have to be a premium pick. KW was a 5th and Pacheco of the Chiefs was a 7th.

Keep drafting S where Snead sees value. Fuller is a goner and our S room is not there yet. I would love to see more ball hawk type Safeties with speed when they profile candidates.

Rams TE room could use some bolstering. Love Davis Allen’s upside but I think Higbee is trending downward and I have little faith in Hunter Long. Hopkins is a goner.

At this point it’s just a matter of Snead and his scouts finding gems at many positions with all picks not already traded to accomplish potential QB acquisition if they choose not to keep Wentz.

We’ll see a sprinkling of picks at the following positions and hopefully they will be halfway as successful as this 2023 crop:

RB
OL
TE
WR
DL
ILB
CB
S

I love our current assistant coaches with the exception of Blackburn. Unfortunately, I think we’ll have a few scooped up by other teams, but what’s new?

If Snead can pull off another stellar offseason, and he has the picks plus a healthy cap situation, I truly believe that Rams could be in the 2024 SB conversation.

Thoughts?
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

A peek at how I think Snead currently views his offseason options…

Rams43390December 15, 2023 07:09AM

Not one comment or reply?

Rams4384December 16, 2023 05:43AM

Re: A peek at how I think Snead currently views his offseason options…

droopy97December 16, 2023 05:48AM

303079December 16, 2023 06:00AM

Rams4378December 16, 2023 06:07AM

303076December 16, 2023 06:44AM

Re: Bennett

mtramfan85December 16, 2023 10:47AM

Nice breakdown

Ridgewood Ram88December 16, 2023 06:50AM

general mid-December thoughts: flexibility

LMU9381December 16, 2023 06:56AM

You are creating too many holes and thinking every pick will make the team

ferragamo7962December 16, 2023 09:30AM

Re: general mid-December thoughts: flexibility

Killrazor49December 16, 2023 10:08PM

oldschoolramfan104December 16, 2023 08:09AM

+1...

SunTzu_vs_Camus60December 16, 2023 11:22AM

The main effort ought to be defense, defense, defense.

RockRam45December 17, 2023 03:22AM

Question on how Snead Views team needs

David Deacon43December 17, 2023 07:05AM