Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Bryce Young a cautionary tale (When will the NFL ever learn?)

November 11, 2023 06:26AM
I reckoned some of you would disagree and that is 100% okay. I generally disagree with many here on a whole slew of topics. No need to apologize, I am not a snowflake.

I am not interested in the detailed deep dive of this trend because it is supermajority true and accurate. Winning QBs are usually cerebral pocket passers that make quick great decisions and are accurate. Warner, Brees, Manning, etc... and even the Whiner's Montana and Cheatriot's Brady.
The NFL over the past 20-30 years is littered with these forced "athletic" QBs who mostly BUST, have only 1-2 good years at best B4 the NFL adjusts to their weaknesses or who once they start getting injured and can not run around as much quickly lose effectiveness and flop. They fail because they never become true passers as they always lacked the quick processing, decision-making and accuracy even though they are usually blessed with strong arms. It's OBVIOUS and a common observation. Scores of these examples abound. There are always a few exceptions of course like but this does not mean the trend is not 80-90%+ true across the board for most QBs that fit the prototype.

To your post, Lamar Jackson is NOT a great passer (never has been nor likely will be) and quickly becomes exposed as the mediocre at best QB (outside of his legs/athleticism) when he plays against play-off caliber defenses. Check his play-off record and wait until this year's play-offs. How you play against below average teams does not impress people. Just look for the next bone-head play or lack of accuracy pattern playing out. It's there because that is a common trait of these types of QBs.

The Rams need to improve their OL either-way (a must for most consistent winning teams) not accept having a below average or mediocre OL as you seem to be implying they are fated to accept.

I reject your premise and maintain that a player with true QB traits (not more athlete than Qcool smiley is preferred. A healthy Stafford behind a solid OL definitely fits the bill to an uncommon degree but he is aging and injury prone now after over a decade plus of playing on poor Detroit teams (getting beat-up passing all the time with no running game and poor OLs) so perhaps investing in the OL and a quality QB prospect with legit "QB skills" is a faaar better idea. No more rock & jock immature knuckleheads who lack accuracy and whose football IQ is so limited they have to be protected with limited and simple offensive schemes and/or can only succeed with all-star teams around them.

Just focused on sustainable winning QB traits, not popular short-term QB trends with a low percentage play-off/SB win rate. Go back the past 40 yrs. and evaluate the supermajority of the winning QBs. They have traits more in common with Warner, Brees and Stafford rather than Newton, Vick, Jackson, Young, Murray, Watson and most of the current crop of "athletic QBs".

This is also why coaches and OCs who can truly draft and develop these QBs are rare and highly valued. McVay did not feel he could develop Goff so that is why he traded for an established stud veteran with elite QB skills but something is very OFF about McVay the OC/play-caller now.

Old Goat
GRAM Torino
Lamar Jacksons, Deshaun Watsons or Kyler Murrays of the current QB world.
Uber athletic immature knuckleheads who can NOT put the football in the hands of the right targets, at the right time and in the right place consistently.

Sorry, but I think you overgeneralize here quite a bit. Lamar Jackson is a "Uber athletic immature knucklehead" who can't put the ball in the right place consistently? Have to disagree with your assessment. I also see you left Wentz out of your dynamic, though he fits it to a T.

The Rams will need to secure the heir apparent to Stafford this off-season, through the draft or FA. With the state of our current Oline, he'd need to be a running QB. My hope is it's someone young who can win and grow the fan base. Goff used to get booed at the home stadium, and we need a guy the local fans can get behind. It makes little difference if he's a "running QB" or pocket passer. Most these days can do a bit of both. Just pick a guy who is a team player and not all about himself, and plug him in behind Stafford until he's injured again.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2023 06:57AM by GRAM Torino.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Bryce Young a cautionary tale for what Rams do with 1st round pick…

Rams43312November 11, 2023 03:10AM

GRAM Torino69November 11, 2023 03:58AM

Old Goat55November 11, 2023 05:44AM

GRAM Torino53November 11, 2023 06:26AM

Re: Bryce Young a cautionary tale for what Rams do with 1st round pick…

alyoshamucci73November 11, 2023 03:58AM

six2stack39November 11, 2023 04:09PM

droopy49November 11, 2023 04:43AM

What a Beyond Wasted No.2 Overall Pick that was !

BerendsenRam30November 11, 2023 04:15PM

I think the lesson with Young

merlin47November 11, 2023 04:23PM

O LINE!!! O LINE!!!!! Followed by D LINE!!!

Ramgator56November 11, 2023 04:27PM

Ramboni46November 11, 2023 06:09PM