Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Oops, that was most likely me...

March 12, 2022 04:11PM
get used to it, I'm getting worse at it by the minute. laughing smiley

Yeah... I'm not surprised by the 'less' than 'elite' entertainment value.... I last saw him MANY years ago but even then it had paled.... what was still electric, and as you point out, was it was Elton... and just being Elton was electric enough to set the crowd on fire.

To repeat from long ago,... I first saw him in Germany, 1972 I think? I had no idea who he was at the time. The man blew the auditorium up... his entertainment value was astronomic. I left in awe. Last time I saw him, can't remember the year but maybe round 2005 or so, that had dimmed.... but don't get me wrong, he still HAD it... but it wasn't like '72... or when my wife traveled without me to Dodgers stadium for one of the most famous concerts of all time. BTW, she went with a friend.

Not a bit surprised he opened with "Benny and The Jets"... you nailed it, that first chord is like galaxy famous. When I last saw him he was solo, (no band with him at all)... and he walked across the stage and struck that chord on the keyboard and then walked away... the audience erupted. He walked away, took a drink or two, talked to someone... seemed like a minute passed and then returned and hit it again... and AGAIN, walking away... and this time the Audience was hysterical. laughing smiley

I love that song.. but it's not one of my favorites by him. Again... most of his most popular songs are not the ones I personally like the best. Well, except for Tiny Dancer.

Sounds to me like that was his original drummer...Nigel Olsson.. I heard he's with him again.

I'm not sure how many times I saw Elton.... although it wasn't a LOT.... I'm thinking... 5, maybe 6? He never failed to blow me away.

There have been bands I expected to be great and WERE... so no surprise.. Elton surprised me, that first time. A few others did that do me as well. ZZ Top... they weren't even the main group the first time I saw them but when the main group took the stage people in the audience were shouting "Bring Back ZZ Top"... and again, I was never a huge ZZ Top fan... I certainly LIKE them however. In that same vein.. the Doobie Bros.... blew me away, and again.. never that big of a fan myself ALTHOUGH today I like them more than ever.

The most in 'awe' I ever was took place in I think the second, after Woodstock, most famous concert of all time? Monterey Pop in '67. I saw my hero... Otis Redding. laughing smiley Also Lou Rawls whom at the time I didn't know that well but he came to be one of my all time favorites.

Also at Monterey - The Association whom I actually played WITH.. my band and them used to practice togethers.. not often, but a few times. Johnny Rivers... again, never a big fan but the man could SING his ass off. Eric Burdon and the Animals... once again, not a big fan, but they were electric in '67. Simon and Garfunkel - mind blowing. Big Brother with Janis Joplin.. mind blowing. Canned Heat... you probably don't know them... they didn't last long.. but a VERY unique sound. Steve Miller Band... one of the most underrated bands of all time. Quicksilver Messenger Service. Moby Grapy. The Byrds.. who were HUGE at the time and deservedly so. Jefferson Airplane.. does ANY group better define the 60's than them? Booker T.. again, VERY underrated. Ravi Shankar... sorry, hated him. laughing smiley The Blues Project. Buffalo Springfield... drummer used to play with my cousin at his 'dude ranch' often.. I think he died recently. The Grateful Dead... nuff' said. Jimi Hendrix.... believe it or not I was NOT a big fan of Jimi.. which is NOT to say I didn't like him. Mama's and the Papa's... loved them. Scott McKenzie... not going to tell you who that is... but ask anyone from the 60's and they'll instantly know. The Who.

No doubt... Pop Festival '67 was the biggest concert I ever attended... or ever will attend... although Speyer, Germany in... '72 I think?, comes close.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Finally saw Elton John last night..

sstrams150March 12, 2022 01:50PM

I was curious how you would react to Elton...

JamesJM155March 12, 2022 02:00PM

I think you got it backwards...

sstrams67March 12, 2022 03:07PM

Oops, that was most likely me...

JamesJM84March 12, 2022 04:11PM

Definitely know who Canned Heat is..

sstrams62March 12, 2022 05:21PM

Time for me to admit something...

JamesJM66March 12, 2022 05:36PM

I always thought John Denver seemed like a..

sstrams179March 13, 2022 05:48AM

saw him around 1993

ferragamo7961March 12, 2022 04:26PM

That surprises me...

JamesJM67March 12, 2022 04:28PM

for real?

ferragamo7973March 13, 2022 04:51PM