Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: The NFL should change its process for compensatory draft awards

June 22, 2022 11:55AM

The Lions were awarded 3 compensatory selections for the 2021 draft, but where were the Jacksonville Jaguars, the Cincinnati Bengals, the Houston Texans, or the Minnesota Vikings? These are all smaller market teams that you’d expect the compensatory formula to benefit as a means of restoring competitive balance, but they are notably absent from the list.

OMG that's one of the worst arguments I've ever read!! banghead

The 2022 comp picks were based on FA gains and losses in 2021. The following info is from [overthecap.com]

The Jaguars lost *one*qualifying free agent in 2021: Keelan Cole. He would have generated a 6th round comp pick for the Jags, but they went out and signed *eleven* qualifying FAs!!! That's why they didn't get any comp picks in 2022: they signed 10 more qualifying FAs than they lost, and upgraded their roster in the process.

The Bengals lost 4 qualifying FAs but also signed 4. They could have had 4 comp picks but opted to sign those FAs instead.

The Texans? Lost one qualifying FA, signed 9.

And the Vikings? Lost 2 and signed 4.

That crap about small market team is bull***t. The Jags, Texans, and Vikings all made out in the FA market and the Bengals were a wash.

How is it that these three teams were able to attract a total of 28 qualifying free agents (while losing 8) if their small market status is a hindrance?

And the Rams? Well, they lost John Johnson, Gerald Everett, Samson Ebukam, Troy Hill, and Morgan Fox in FA. The most expensive FA they signed that year was OBJ, and even if the rules were changed to somehow make him a qualifying FA the Rams still would have gotten at least 4 comp picks. (And I say 'at least' cuz I'm not sure a guy who signs a $1.25M contract with incentives and then only plays in 8 games would even be a qualifying FA.)

The comp pick formula is set up to replenish teams who lose more qualifying FAs than they sign. The Jags, Texans, Vikings, and Bengals as a group lost 8 qualifying FA and signed 28. The Rams lost 5 and signed none. Seems like the comp pick rule is working just fine to me.

AlbaNY_Ram
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

The NFL should change its process for compensatory draft awards

BerendsenRam345June 22, 2022 10:24AM

does this make any sense?

socalmab157June 22, 2022 10:37AM

No. That's not what it's for.

alyoshamucci139June 22, 2022 10:51AM

All good points

OzRam186June 22, 2022 10:58AM

Re: All good points

BerendsenRam87June 25, 2022 09:20AM