Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

LA Rams may lose Von Miller to Dallas…

March 16, 2022 04:54AM
LA Rams may lose Von Miller to Dallas. Prepare for plan B

[ramblinfan.com]

by Bret Stuter

When the LA Rams were stuck in the mud over their efforts to extend All-Pro outside linebacker Von Miller, we knew something was up. Teams that were reportedly in the Von Miller sweepstakes were dropping out. The LA Chargers traded with the Chicago Bears for veteran outside linebacker Khalil Mack. One down. But the market still included the Green Bay Packers, the Denver Broncos, and the LA Rams, right?

Well, the Packers have their own headaches right now. After throwing sacks of cash to re-sign QB Aaron Rodgers, WR Devante Adams is now refusing to play under the franchise tag. This story is just beginning to heat up. Suffice it to say that any move to add an expensive free agent to that roster would be pouring gasoline on an open flame. So it’s down to the Broncos and the Rams now, right?

When word broke that the Denver Broncos had agreed to sign former Dallas Cowboys OLB Randy Gregory to a whopping five-year $70 million deal, we suspected what was in store. The Dallas Cowboys were reported all-in on Gregory, who decided instead to sign on with the Broncos. That ended any interest of the Broncos in Miller.

All my exes live in Texas

But now, a new NFL team may enter the market. Can you guess which one? If you guessed the NFL team with a star on their helmets, give yourself a star.

Now, the fears of the LA Rams are staring at them. A new team has indeed jumped into the bidding. The Dallas Cowboys are reportedly eyeing up the likelihood of signing Von Miller. And if they do, they will have some distinct advantages with Miller.

After winning Super Bowl LVI, promising to run it back, and even teasing the Denver Broncos with the likelihood of signing with them, Von Miller is clearly a man with two Super Bowl rings open to the highest bidder. That is something that the LA Rams front office does not need. After all, if Von Miller wanted to return, he would have done so by now.

Rams do not win bidding wars

Von Miller has plenty of ties to Texas. He has a chicken ranch at Desoto, Tx, and he is a graduate of Texas A&M. It is pretty clear that someone is dragging their feet, and I’m willing to bet the slow-to-act party is not the LA Rams in this case.

Von Miller is an ideal complement to Aaron Donald in the LA Rams defense. But if he does not want to play here, or is so enamored with other offers that he is too hesitant to commit to the team he just won a Super Bowl ring with, then it may be time for the LA Rams to turn to other options? It pains me to say it, but if a deal was going to happen, it would have happened by now.

If the Dallas Cowboys enter the fray, the price for Von Miller could inflate rapidly. At that point, it makes far more sense for the Rams to withdraw from the bidding, spend less on an outside linebacker who can make an immediate impact on the Rams defense, or perhaps turn towards adding ILB Bobby Wagner?

Rams are not a FA team

Historically, the better moves in the LA Rams’ recent history have not been free agent signings, but have been trades. it was clear that the LA Rams regretted signed FA WR DeSean Jackson. And yet, the team depended heavily upon both RB Sony Michel and OLB Von Miller during the 2021 NFL season. Perhaps, and I’m just throwing this out there, the LA Rams do not need to win free agency bidding wars to win another NFL Championship?

If the Cowboys, or any team that successfully bids for Von Miller, offers a contract that would generate the likelihood of awarding the Rams either a third-round or fourth-round compensatory pick, then it may be wiser to walk away.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make him drink. So too, the LA Rams can place an ideal highly-compensating contract under Von Miller’s nose, but they cannot make him sign it. The Chargers and Broncos both walked away from the hesitant veteran. Perhaps it’s time for the LA Rams to consider other options as well?
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

LA Rams may lose Von Miller to Dallas…

Rams43563March 16, 2022 04:54AM

Re: LA Rams may lose Von Miller to Dallas…

SoCalRAMatic168March 16, 2022 05:19AM

Re: LA Rams may lose Von Miller to Dallas…

AlbaNY_Ram128March 16, 2022 05:24AM

He has to decide whether he wants to chase a ring or pad his retirement account

merlin140March 16, 2022 05:21AM

Re: He has to decide whether he wants to chase a ring or pad his retirement account

Ramstien150March 16, 2022 06:34AM

My only tie to Von was that AD wanted him.

alyoshamucci134March 16, 2022 06:25AM

Speaking of Aaron Donald

MamaRAMa139March 16, 2022 06:36AM

No one can speak for him of course, but......

roman18120March 16, 2022 06:59AM

If he wanted to be here, he would have signed already.....

Rampage2K-114March 16, 2022 08:07AM

I dont know about that

The_Zone166March 16, 2022 08:13AM

Re: I dont know about that

Rampage2K-209March 16, 2022 08:19AM

The_Zone96March 16, 2022 08:35AM

AlbaNY_Ram98March 16, 2022 08:47AM

RamsDynasty71March 16, 2022 09:04AM

The Broncos showed us the way