Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Too early but... who the Rams keep and who they allow to walk

December 31, 2021 09:20AM
Agree that Miller is gone.

I think the Rams will have to choose between Allen and Corbett.

I also thought Shelton looked good, but a.) I don't know how Shelton does with the line calls compared to Allen; b.) Concerned that once there's tape on Shelton teams will find a weakness in his game. And as a pro-bowl alternate maybe Allen's market value is higher than I think?

Corbett might be hard to hang on to for the very reason you like him. It might come down to which position they think they have better depth.

A'shawn is under contract for next season. $9.5M cap hit, $5.5M in dead money if they cut him. Since the Rams only save $4M if they cut him I think they keep him.

I can see the Rams letting SJD go, especially if they keep A'Shawn. SJD might cost more that $4M so keeping A'shawn over SJD might be the best cap move ...

This is Whitworth's latest comment about retirement, from this Dec 9th article: [www.profootballrumors.com]

To me, the only way that I would retire is there’d have to be a situation where either financially the Rams can’t afford me or there’s just some way where it doesn’t work out for the both of us for me to be back. So that would really be the only scenario where I would ever really see me retiring.”

So I wouldn't count on him retiring. And considering how much McVay likes Whit, and how well he's still playing, and how much he has meant to the Rams since he got here I would be stunned if the Rams cut him. So I see Whit playing again in '22, hopefully at a reduced price.

... which means I don't think the Rams will keep Noteboom. The Rams OL depth has held up nicely this year and I think the Rams will let Boom and either Allen or Corbett go, and head into next season with Whit, Edwards, Havs and either Allen or Corbett back from this year's starting OL. And then find a 4th starter plus depth from this group: Anchrum, Shelton, Jackson, Evans, Demby, Pircher, Kolone, and Brewer. Plus whoever they draft and/or sign as UDFA.

In addition to DWill, Deayon is also a FA. I see the Rams keeping at least one of them, and I suspect DWill is the priority. With Long, Rochelle, Hall, and Haley already on the team plus the flexibility of some of their safeties to play the slot the Rams can afford to let one of these FAs walk.
-----------------------------------------------------

You didn't mention ...

Demby Shelton, Howard, Gay, Hughes, Woolford, or Reeder. They are all RFA or ERFA and I think they'll all be back. Maybe not Demby, but Carberry seems to be spinning straw into gold up and down the depth chart so who knows.

OBJ, but I think he's gone.

Mundt. The Rams showed that they have no blocking TE besides Mundt. Unless they come up with one, and unless the NFL is dying to pry Mundt away from the Rams I think he'll be back.

Obo. He has not made himself indispensable. And even if Miller goes the Rams will still have Floyd, Hollins, Lewis, and Garrett. 4 OLB is enough, but with questions about Lewis' health and Garret's development maybe hanging onto Obo on a team-friendly deal wouldn't be such a bad idea.

AlbaNY_Ram

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2021 09:26AM by AlbaNY_Ram.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Too early but... who the Rams keep and who they allow to walk

RockRam561December 31, 2021 07:58AM

3030221December 31, 2021 08:12AM

Rams43215December 31, 2021 09:15AM

AlbaNY_Ram402December 31, 2021 09:20AM

Rams43208December 31, 2021 09:35AM

me too