Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Oldnotdead on Carberry and Rams OL...

April 01, 2021 10:15AM
I think oldnotdead meant Evans at RT in his projection below. But he typed Edwards at RT in a brain fart.

Here’s oldnotdead...

Carberry likes to run right at defenses. If he has his way IMO he would run a gap power and inside zone schemes between the tackles as his primary attack. He's experienced in patching up injury decimated lines. What I like about Carberry over Kromer is Carberry teaches, and understands how to develop young talent. Kromer is fine when he has vets, but obviously doesn't really know how to develop young talent. When you look at the development of the Ram's young talent under Kromer it was clearly behind the curve. That is why IMO Kromer is rightfully gone and Carberry brought signed.

As far as 3 new faces on the o-line that could mean just about anything. I can clearly see the need for increased depth at OT and does it also include the shifting of players such as Edwards from LG to RT and Allen as the starting Center? I think they are looking at adding new depth more than new starters unless a young proven vet FA falls in their lap. But since they have stood pat during the initial FA period I think it will be via the draft and as UDFA. I wouldn't discount a trade much in the same way guys like Corbett and Young have been acquired. Veterans but still on their first contract. The biggest trade bait on the o-line is Havenstein. Despite his faults, he potentially could have trade value with the Chargers as he's better than their current RT. But there is no one on their o-line worth trading for.

I think what the 3 new faces refer to are 3 positions with new starters, LT Noteboom, C Allen or Shelton, RT Edwards. That then opens two depth positions TBD in OTAs and TC.

This team is clearly in a win-now mode so I really don't expect any rookie starters on the o-line. Clearly, the Rams history shows they prefer to redshirt them as rookies and allow them to compete for starting positions in their second year. They are looking like an old-school team that understands most rookies require a 3-year development window, redshirt year one, backup year two potential starter year 3.

I've been saying for a long time the o-line as it stands has talent enough to be pretty damn good with the guys they have on the roster. The way I see the o-line roster right now is:

LT Noteboom
LG Edwards
C Allen or Shelton (I think Allen has the edge, but my preference is Shelton)
RG Corbett
RT Edwards

Gameday reserves: Allen or Shelton C/OG, Swing OT TBD, Swing OG/OT TBD

I think the starters are pretty much on the roster with only one reserve position to be filled with either Allen or Shelton. I think Havenstein's poor playoff performance against Seattle a division opponent should have cost him his job. They traded for Corbett and he's played well at both LG and RG. I think this is a final prove it confirmation year but expect him to be extended. Evans also played well when he took over for an injured Edwards and I would be surprised if he is demoted. He played well enough to warrant another starting season and it frees up Edwards to replace Havenstein.

The bottom line is I think with a relatively immobile Stafford, they will think long and hard starting a rookie on the o-line and that is especially true at C who needs to make the o-line calls.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

About Carberry’s impact on Rams OL thinking this year...

Rams43620March 31, 2021 02:03PM

Oldnotdead on Carberry and Rams OL...

Rams43382April 01, 2021 10:15AM

Re: Oldnotdead on Carberry and Rams OL...

zn289April 01, 2021 11:53AM

BearlyThere183April 01, 2021 12:12PM

Rams43175April 01, 2021 02:46PM

zn282April 01, 2021 03:44PM

Rams43170April 01, 2021 04:13PM

except

zn148April 01, 2021 05:21PM

Re: except

stlramz164April 01, 2021 09:15PM

Re: except

zn132April 02, 2021 03:31AM

dzrams141April 01, 2021 04:45PM

lots of guesses but...

db239April 01, 2021 12:11PM

He lost me at LT

3030237April 01, 2021 12:20PM

Uh ...yeah

PHDram140April 01, 2021 06:24PM