Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rams rumors: Schrager says McVay was ‘over Goff’...

February 05, 2021 08:52AM
Rams Rumors: NFL Network’s Peter Schrager says McVay ‘was over’ Goff

Blaine Grisak of DowntownRams

The Rams traded QB Jared Goff in exchange for Matthew Stafford. The biggest question now is why? According to reports, McVay was ‘over Goff’.

The Los Angeles Rams shocked many last week when they traded away quarterback Jared Goff and draft picks in exchange for quarterback Matthew Stafford. Goff helped the resurgence of the Rams back in LA and helped the team reach a Super Bowl. His 44 wins since 2017 were second-most in the NFL.

A lot has changed since 2018, notably how Sean McVay soured on Goff. Details have come out about their relationship and how McVay had a pretty negative opinion of Goff down the stretch due to his poor play. NFL Network’s Peter Schrager added to that, saying McVay was “over Goff” on the Dan Patrick Show on Thursday. Schrager has strong connections to both McVay and Goff, so what he says on the subject, is worth taking into account. There’s a lot here, so I’ll break it into three parts. Said Schrager:

“McVay was over Goff. He was done. It happened this year and it wasn’t necessarily Jared’s doing. I think the defense being the leader in this thing, McVay not being able to do the same things that (Matt) LaFleur was able to do with (Aaron) Rodgers, and what he’s watching other teams do…Once they got to this point it was ‘do we try to rebuild or do we just move on for both of us?’ And McVay wanted to move on.”

This falls in line with what other reports have said. McVay soured on Goff. He felt like Goff was holding him back. When the Rams signed Goff to the long-term extension, their belief was that he would continue to develop with McVay and the two would become an elite quarterback-coach combination.

However, that never happened. As we’ve seen, Goff regressed over the last two years and wasn’t moving where McVay wanted to take the offense. Teams adjusted to McVay and in order for McVay to continue to be successful, he also needed to adjust. Goff’s limitations wouldn’t allow him to do that.

How the Rams-Stafford Trade Went Down

“Once Stafford came into his life, and when I say came into his life I mean, the thought of Stafford and the wonder of what he can do with his arm, and how smart and how cerebral…it was over. And McVay made the call. It’s a business. I think Sean is going to be respectful to Jared. He’ll also be unapologetic. He believes this team had run its course with Jared Goff. He wanted Matt Stafford.”

Schrager also detailed what McVay’s thought process was as the trade went down. It sounds like McVay fell in love with Stafford and the idea of Stafford. Now, hopefully this isn’t a situation where the idea of Stafford is better and greater that Stafford the quarterback himself.

This was a business decision. At this point in the relationship between McVay and Goff, McVay felt like it was best for the two sides to move on. However, given what the Rams gave up, the pressure is on for McVay to succeed. If he doesn’t, the failure of the Rams offense lies squarely on McVay.

What’s Next for Jared Goff?

“Goff could make him look foolish. If Goff goes on to have this incredible career in Detroit or even anywhere else he ends up, he could make McVay look wrong. But as someone from the Rams side told me, ‘Are we living or are we existing?’ They want to live.”

Schrager brings it up in the video, but the Lions like Jared Goff. Brad Holmes was someone who helped make the decision to draft Goff over Carson Wentz. This is a 25-year old quarterback that, if it works out, the Lions can build around. They have the seventh overall pick and they’ll be able to surround Goff with talent. If the Lions take J’Marr Chase, he’ll be the best individual wide receiver that Goff has had and DeAndre Swift is his best running back since Todd Gurley.

Goff isn’t being given a fair shot by a lot of people, but with Anthony Lynn as his offensive coordinator and the potential weapons on offense, he’ll have a chance to succeed. The Rams and Lions will play next season at SoFi in what will likely be a primetime game.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Rams rumors: Schrager says McVay was ‘over Goff’...

Rams431129February 05, 2021 08:52AM

Re: Rams rumors: Schrager says McVay was ‘over Goff’...

cool_hand_luke563February 05, 2021 08:57AM

Rams43273February 05, 2021 09:08AM

that's a good point

LMU93486February 05, 2021 09:12AM

Re: that's a good point

Rams43293February 05, 2021 09:14AM

Re: that's a good point

VANRAM193February 05, 2021 02:09PM

zn369February 05, 2021 09:34AM

waterfield192February 05, 2021 09:41AM

Only 4 bad games? Against teams that did not make playoffs?

promomasterj229February 05, 2021 09:54AM

dzrams370February 05, 2021 10:05AM

zn221February 05, 2021 11:14AM

dzrams190February 05, 2021 11:25AM

zn191February 05, 2021 12:11PM

dzrams277February 05, 2021 01:21PM

zn167February 05, 2021 01:54PM

So why in your opinion

PHDram269February 05, 2021 05:18PM

Steve266February 06, 2021 05:25AM

I think Goff has one role there

merlin576February 05, 2021 10:48AM

Re: I think Goff has one role there to win same as Stafford but it about perspectives

BumRap208February 05, 2021 11:24AM

Here's my rationale there Bum

merlin183February 05, 2021 05:50PM

here is the video....

Rampage2K-168February 05, 2021 02:32PM

Maybe Lions Don't Draft a QB.

den-the-coach213February 06, 2021 04:49AM

Re: Maybe Lions Don't Draft a QB.

zn179February 06, 2021 05:19AM

Re: Maybe Lions Don't Draft a QB.

Rampage2K-252February 06, 2021 07:06AM