Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

CBS Jeremiah previously had other opportunities

May 17, 2019 11:23AM
[www.cbssports.com]
NFL Network's Daniel Jeremiah reportedly under serious consideration for Jets front-office job
Jeremiah, who replaced Mike Mayock at NFL Network, previously had other opportunities to return to the league
Ryan Wilson

@ryanwilsonCBS
May 15, 2019 at 2:40 pm ET • 1 min read

Mike Mayock went from the NFL Network's lead draft analyst to Raiders general manager on New Year's Eve, a day after the Raiders and coach Jon Gruden put the finishing touches on a 4-12 season. Five months later, ESPN's Adam Schefter reports that Mayock's successor at the network, Daniel Jeremiah, could be in the running for a position in the Jets front office.

Adam Schefter

@AdamSchefter
Just months after NFLN Draft Analyst Mike Mayock took the Raiders’ GM job, his replacement Daniel Jeremiah is under serious consideration for a prominent front-office position with the NY Jets, per sources. NFLN Draft Analyst job has become breeding ground for front-office jobs.

9:56 AM - May 15, 2019

The Jets fired general manager Mike Maccagnan on Wednesday.

CBS Sports NFL Insider Jason La Canfora thinks Eagles vice president of player personnel Joe Douglas could be high on the list of candidates to succeed Maccagnan.

Jason La Canfora

@JasonLaCanfora
Rumblings were rampant before the draft that Jets considering changing GMs and if so, Eagles exec Joe Douglas would be high on list of possible replacements. Strong ties to Adam Gase. We'll see.

8:40 AM - May 15, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy
23 people are talking about this
This is noteworthy because Douglas and Jeremiah are close friends. "A potential package deal for the Jets," Schefter tweeted.

Jeremiah, 41, was a scout for the Ravens, Browns and Eagles before joining NFL Network in 2012. Part of the reason he left the NFL for television was because he was working all the time. Jeremiah broke into the league as a personnel assistant for the Ravens, a job previously held by Douglas.

"Those two years in the office were probably the toughest two years for our family, just because my wife, we lived two minutes away from the facility, and I never saw her," Jeremiah told The Athletic's Sheil Kapadia last month. "So that was a hard, hard, hard time. Especially with two little kids. She's away from her family. And I'm not really around. So that was a hard, stressful period."

This also isn't the first time an NFL team has been interested in luring Jeremiah back into the fold. Kapadia reports that teams have already called but adds that "he can afford to be picky."

Longtime family friend Chris Mortensen, who has been at ESPN since 1991, told Kapadia, "[Jeremiah] had an opportunity to be a head of a personnel department at two different NFL franchises. With one of them, they probably would've promoted him to general manager within a year. And he thought about it, but he decided to just stay put and trust God as we like to say."

Jeremiah, who now has four children, has said that he wouldn't close the door on returning to the league but it sure sounds like he loves his current set up.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Daniel Jeremiah under serious consideration for NY Jets front-office

Rams Junkie411May 17, 2019 11:07AM

CBS Jeremiah previously had other opportunities

Rams Junkie162May 17, 2019 11:23AM

Hmmmm. I think picking TV personalities as FO guys might be a mistake

RockRam147May 17, 2019 11:30AM

Re: Why? It sounds like they have the same background as Snead...

dzrams152May 17, 2019 11:53AM

Snead was a TV guy?

RockRam206May 17, 2019 12:12PM

Re: No...same scouting background...

dzrams136May 17, 2019 12:25PM

Re: Hmmmm. I think picking TV personalities as FO guys might be a mistake

LMU93114May 17, 2019 03:08PM

DJ and/or Mayock may or may not do a terrific job as a GM...

Rams43112May 18, 2019 08:50AM