Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

It has as much to do with the rules as anything.

October 01, 2018 03:58AM
I don't think we're getting a better QB product out of college.
I think the rules have made it easier to play QB.
But I also think these guys have to go to exactly the right system with exactly the right coaching so that they can develop. Without it, they will flounder.

Part of it also has to do with the WRs who can now run fearlessly over the middle because it's now illegal to take that guy's head off or even to just hit him hard to dislodge the ball. It used to take a special player to run those routes. Not anymore.

And I also think that we're jumping to conclusions way too soon about how these QBs will fare as time goes on.
Typically the super athletic QBs do the best in their rookie year, and then the next year. But later, after they've been knocked around and injured and turned the ball over enough, they learn that they MUST stay in the pocket in order for their offense to work and for them to survive. Then....turns out that's not really their game and their performance falls off. Andrew Luck still doesn't seem to get it that he MUST stay in the pocket; he ventures out way too much and because he's big he still likes to fight for the extra yard. Pretty dumb for a guy who is supposed to be brilliant.

Sure; there are the occasional Cam Newtons and Russell Wilsons that defy convention. But we're not going to get one of those every year, let alone 2 or 3 of them every year.
Look how some of the "athlete QBs" have digressed. Watson is not nearly as effective as his rookie year; partly because O'Brien is now asking him to run more of a conventional NFL offense. Tyrod Tailor. Kap is the poster boy for this as is RG3. I would put money that Lamar Jackson never amounts to much;he'll be a gadget QB. I feel similarly about Josh Allen; his size, athleticism and arm strength are intoxicating. But he's never been an accurate passer or particularly adept at dissecting defenses in college. They'll tease you with their occasional big game; but mostly they'll make the highlight reels with their legs.

Let's look at these same guys 3, 4, and 5 years down the line. That's when we'll know what they are.

Part of the reason I have such great hope for Goff is that he gets better every year.....just like in college. He's a student of the game; an accurate pocket passer that plays SMART. He makes his living with his mind and his arm; not his legs. Those are the guys with staying power.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Are we in the golden age of QBs?

jemach330October 01, 2018 03:17AM

It has as much to do with the rules as anything.

RockRam138October 01, 2018 03:58AM

Re: It has as much to do with the rules as anything.

kfriel93October 01, 2018 05:48AM

You betcha.

NewMexicoRam74October 01, 2018 09:30AM

Re: Yes nm

Speed_Kills67October 01, 2018 05:39AM

Re: Are we in the golden age of QBs?

kfriel109October 01, 2018 05:39AM

Re: Yes....which makes me wonder....

dzrams82October 01, 2018 08:28AM

Ken112October 01, 2018 10:03AM