Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Correct.. Best "bar none" ?

Anonymous User
June 23, 2017 04:57PM
zn

That;s because that;'s not how you judge a DT like Donald. Doing that is like judging qbs by the number of interceptions they catch.

Huh? my response was to RFIP about best defensive player in the NFL "bar none."

Comparing the impact that an NFL QB has on the team to a DT is fruitless.....

Here's another list of DTs who did not single handedly win games for their teams. Lilly, Olson, Page, Sapp, Randle, Randy White, Joe Greene, Cortez Kennedy, Klecko, and so on.

Elite DTs don't operate by regularly winning games single-handedly.

My point to RFIP was that the "best" defensive player in the NFL does have a single handed impact for winning games. Players like (LT) Lawrence Taylor, Reggie White, JJ Watt and Von Miller make the players around them better because of their impact.

They operate by (1) forcing offenses to account for them on every play at the gameplan level, and (2) making plays anyway, at a high level. See what that does is make things easier for the rest of the defense. Only elite DTs do both things, and they are rare.

I never said AD wasn't elite or that an elite DT doesn't make a HC/offensive coordinator have to construct a special game plan for his presence. I'm well aware of how a team has to game plan for an elite DT.

I remember reading an article about how Bill Belichick game planned for AD last year and he ended up with (2 solo tackles & 1 assist with no sacks) I know it was the Patriots but that didn't affect Von Miller. The last 2 times the Broncos faced Belichicks game planning, Von got 7 tackles & 3.5 sacks. I mention Miller because I rank him higher than AD which was my point to RFIP.

There;s a reason for that. No offense can allow defensive disruption in the middle of the formation, that close to the ball. The whole play is dead if they can't control that area.

This in many ways is true but again my point was AD isn't the best defensive player in the NFL and his disruption up the middle didn't help the Rams win games in the 2nd half. The example of the whole play is dead if they can't control that area example is obvious but did his performance in that area help win several games for the Rams?..

So they have to commit resources to it no matter what. It changes the entire numbers game.

My point to RFIP wasn't about resources... Did the impact of AD forcing defenses to commit extra resources change the outcome of games?

The opposite of that is what Kromer does. Kromer says for the record that guard is more valuable to him that tackle because he wants a clean pocket and power in the running game. He needs OGs who stone defenders at the LOS. This solidifies everything else they're trying to do.

If you listed all the top, elite qbs and all the top, elite LOTs in NFL history, each list would be longer than the list of top, elite DTs. In fact they;re rightfully legendary. If I rattled off a list of the top offensive tackles in NFL history, there would be names a lot of fans would not immediately recognize. My list of top elite DTs? Everyone knows who they all are.

Slipping in Kromer and how his strategy of the offensive line going against an elite DT has nothing to do with my general point of ranking AD as the best defensive player in the NFL.

You can reach for the stars all you want.. My thinking of AD remains steadfast... to each their own

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Aaron Donald can't be paid enough...

Rams43775June 23, 2017 05:43AM

and there it is....

Rampage2K-449June 23, 2017 07:51AM

Re:Conversely....

laram289June 23, 2017 08:52AM

Re: Re:Conversely....

Rampage2K-246June 23, 2017 09:02AM

Re: "No bidding war"...

laram266June 23, 2017 09:24AM

Correct

RFIP217June 23, 2017 02:04PM

Anonymous User224June 23, 2017 03:24PM

zn214June 23, 2017 03:51PM

Anonymous User322June 23, 2017 04:57PM

zn193June 23, 2017 05:31PM

Re: What's nonsensical...

laram198June 23, 2017 03:40PM

Agree on not giving Donald whatever he wants, but...

Saguaro245June 23, 2017 01:42PM

Re: Agree on not giving Donald whatever he wants, but...

Rams43176June 23, 2017 02:16PM

If we can get that deal, yeah.

ArizonaRamFan193June 23, 2017 02:24PM

Re: If we can get that deal, yeah.

Rampage2K-277June 23, 2017 06:31PM

I wanted to believe you were wrong, Rampage/43/laram.

ArizonaRamFan231June 23, 2017 09:27AM

Re: I wanted to believe you were wrong, Rampage/43/laram.

Rams43204June 23, 2017 02:20PM