Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How Fisher made sense out of nickel role to Lamarcus Joyner

September 07, 2016 04:24AM
How Rams' Jeff Fisher made sense out of nickel role to Lamarcus Joyner
By Alden Gonzalez

[www.espn.com]

LOS ANGELES -- The "Hard Knocks" finale opened with Lamarcus Joyner missing.

The Los Angeles Rams couldn't locate their third-year cornerback, until he showed up in the middle of a walk-through with a T-shirt, shorts and a backpack. Joyner was distraught over his belief that he was not a starter and was ready to quit. "Hard Knocks," the HBO series that follows the Rams through training camp, captured the closed-door meeting he had with coach Jeff Fisher that day. Here's a partial transcript ...

Fisher: "You want me to start, or you want to start? Because I'm here to help."

Joyner: "I don't know, Coach. I don't have any passion anymore. ... I work hard. I do want to be a starter for this team. What's going on? If y'all don't need me, let me know. And just release me. Y'all can have y'all money back. That's what I told them. I said, 'I don't play football for money.' ... Coach, I love this game. I can go work at Walmart. I don't need these people's money. But while I'm here, I'm not going to waste y'all time with the way I work and what I put into it. So why would I want to let any of them waste my time? Like, what's my role? Be honest with me."

Fisher: "The nickel spot, inside. It's the hardest position to play. It's harder than outside. It's the hardest position to play, OK? You're the best that I've had here in years inside. It's a starting position, OK?"

Joyner: "I don't even know, Coach. ... I don't know."

Fisher: "I'm going to tell you a story. You know Steve McNair, right? OK. We're playing in Kansas City [in 2000]. He takes a shot in the chest. And so we put him in the hospital, and then I go over to see Steve at the hospital. Steve tells me he can't do it anymore. He can't play. He's lost his passion. It's not fun. OK. So, we get to the Sunday. And he says he's OK with being the 2. In the Pittsburgh game, the starting quarterback -- backup -- gets the s--- knocked out of him. And we're down by four, with less than two minutes left to go. And I turn at Steve, and I look at him. And he winked at me -- went on the field, four-play drive, we're in the end zone, and we beat 'em. I realized he had the passion. I had to capture it and get it back. I want Lamarcus back. I want your passion. I have to pull it back out of you."

A couple of short exchanges later, Joyner and Fisher were hugging, and Joyner ultimately went back to playing football -- in the nickel spot, technically as the No. 3 cornerback but basically as a starter.

Lamarcus Joyner
Lamarcus Joyner had a frank discussion with Rams coach about his role on "Hard Knocks."
The Rams surprisingly cut linebacker Akeem Ayers, who started 11 games last year and went on to join the Indianapolis Colts. The Rams were holding out hope of bringing him back on a restructured contract, but the closed-door meeting that "Hard Knocks" aired might have shed light as to why they were willing to part with Ayers in the first place.

It's seemingly because they see their third cornerback (Joyner) getting more playing time than their third linebacker (which would have been Ayers).

Last year, defensive coordinator Gregg Williams often ran what some would call "big nickel." It's a 4-2-5 set, though what made it "big" was Mark Barron -- listed at 6-foot-2, 213 pounds -- playing a hybrid position that had him both helping out in coverage and rushing the passer. With Joyner in the game, however, it appears the Rams would run more of a traditional nickel package. Barron and Alec Ogletree would be the two linebackers and Joyner would be the third cornerback, along with Trumaine Johnson and E.J. Gaines, who might miss the Week 1 opener with a quad injury. Maurice Alexander and T.J. McDonald would thus be the two safeties.

It would keep the Rams from having to rely on an inexperienced player as the third linebacker, a group that includes a sixth-round draft pick (Josh Forrest), two undrafted free agents (Nic Grigsby and Cory Littleton) and a second-year player who has yet to start an NFL game (Bryce Hager).

And it appears Joyner is all-in now.

"Let's play some 'ball," Fisher told him as that closed-door meeting was winding down.

Some additional highlights from the fifth and final episode of "Hard Knocks" ...

Channeling Montana: Rams defensive line coach Mike Waufle finally realized why Jared Goff wears No. 16 -- because, as a kid from northern California, he grew up a fan of Hall of Fame quarterback Joe Montana.

"You do a lot of things like him," Waufle told Goff during a recent practice. "You really do. I got to watch him play in practice all the time; I used to watch him all the time."

"He was pretty good," said Goff, the No. 1 overall pick who is currently the Rams' third-string quarterback and will thus be inactive for the regular-season opener. Sean Mannion, a third-round pick in 2015, is currently the backup to Case Keenum.

Quarterbacks coach Chris Weinke compared the two in a meeting, saying: "Sean, really, I think he's had an outstanding camp. I liked him as a rookie, but he's that much better now, in my opinion. I feel comfortable having to put '14' in the ballgame. Next will be Jared. I think the kid has made some great strides. I believe reps are his best friend. He has the mental capacity, and I think as he continues to get more reps, it will help him."

"OK," Fisher chimed in, "who's the 2 against the 49ers?"

Silence.

'I'm cut, brogrinning smiley Those were the words uttered by undrafted rookie receiver Paul McRoberts after he muffed a punt during the preseason finale in Minnesota on Thursday. McRoberts redeemed himself with a leaping catch in the end zone, but he did get cut and was ultimately placed on the 10-man practice squad. "Hard Knocks" spent a lot of time profiling players who were among the final cuts on Saturday, specifically McRoberts, fellow receiver Austin Hill, defensive lineman Ian Seau and veteran center Eric Kush.

"I had a lot of fun here," Kush, who promptly joined the Chicago Bears, told general manager Les Snead. "That's what hurts the most."
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

How Fisher made sense out of nickel role to Lamarcus Joyner

RamBill1283September 07, 2016 04:24AM

Joyner played 8th most defensive snaps in 2015

LMU93993September 07, 2016 04:46AM

Exactly...

Ramsfsninmd567September 07, 2016 05:12AM

Re: Joyner isn't that good

TonyHunter87430September 07, 2016 09:29AM

I did!

Ram Fan Teacher438September 07, 2016 01:56PM

We passed on Allen Robinson to take Joyner.

max525September 07, 2016 02:00PM

Re: We passed on Allen Robinson to take Joyner.

Classicalwit727September 07, 2016 02:24PM

Fisher blew smoke up his butt instead

9er8er418September 07, 2016 05:48PM

We'll see what he really thinks..

sstrams457September 07, 2016 05:28AM

Re: We'll see what he really thinks..

SoCalRAMatic378September 07, 2016 06:12AM

Re: We'll see what he really thinks..

SoCalRAMatic486September 07, 2016 06:48AM

Oops

Blue and Gold498September 07, 2016 08:08AM

Re: Oops

laram480September 07, 2016 09:51AM

not sure i follow

PHDram498September 07, 2016 10:00AM

Re: not sure i follow

Rampage2K-488September 07, 2016 10:30AM

Blue and Gold437September 07, 2016 02:09PM

AlbaNY_Ram585September 07, 2016 05:33PM

yes, sorry

Blue and Gold471September 07, 2016 05:37PM

here is a different look Attachments

Blue and Gold438September 07, 2016 05:54PM

Two examples Attachments

Blue and Gold556September 07, 2016 02:14PM

nickel Attachments

Blue and Gold414September 07, 2016 02:25PM

Two examples... Great Still shots as always B&G thanks!

Anonymous User518September 07, 2016 03:45PM

thanks

Blue and Gold379September 07, 2016 04:49PM

Here is 2009, when Dahl would play LBer in nickel Attachments

Blue and Gold370September 07, 2016 05:02PM

One more variation from 2009 Attachments

Blue and Gold418September 07, 2016 05:23PM

I don't think we've heard the end of this story....

stlrams13483September 07, 2016 02:53PM