Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I'm wondering if the Rams draft strategy will change or start to change this year

April 01, 2021 01:38PM
I was thinking about this the other day while conversing about why Meinerz makes sense and it got me to thinking. Which is never good. Anyhow. I started wondering if the Rams might be changing their drafting M.O. going forward.

Their M.O. (for at least the most part) is to draft for plugging future holes. Vary rarely are guys drafted with the thought they will contribute immediately. There are obviously exceptions, and some are forced into service early, and some force their way into the lineup early. That doesn't change how they draft.

But I got to thinking, maybe they go for more of a draft to help now approach. There are a few reasons for this.

1. With a young Jared Goff (under a new longterm deal ) had a long franchise QB window. With a soon to be 34 y.o. Stafford with 2 years left on his deal, the QB window (for now) is much, much shorter.

1a. Speaking of Stafford. He was brought to LA to bring a SB trophy home. Not get to the NFC semis every year. This leans more towards filling current holes, then worrying about future ones. Because how does filling future holes help win a SB in the next 2 years? It doesn't.

2. Speaking of old, Whit is at or near his end. I think the only draft pick that makes sense early that looks at future needs is at LT. If they don't believe in Evans or Noteboom.

3. And the last player I was thinking about is AD. He will be 30 before the season. His window might be longer than others because we are really not sure how Kryptonians age on earth under our yellow sun. But its time to get busy winning while he is at his peak or barned near it.

4. The new stadium opens to the actual public this year. Might be time to really push the pedal to the metal. Its not like they aren't winning now, but just a little more of a push. not a McVay issue, but Snead might feel that pressure from above a bit.Kronke is hands off, but even still...

5.Lastly, outside of Corbett and D. Williams (who could be tagged) there are no Rams FAs that absolutely have to be resigned. So who exactly would the Rams be drafting to replace? I guess Williams and Whit.

I'm not sure they will change their philosophy, but the thought crossed my mind if they were to, this might be the year.

Don't waste your time looking back, you're not going that way. - Ragnar Lothbrok
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

I'm wondering if the Rams draft strategy will change or start to change this year

Deadpool500April 01, 2021 01:38PM

Re: I'm wondering if the Rams draft strategy will change or start to change this year

BerendsenRam165April 01, 2021 01:49PM

Not sure whether it is a team strategy or a GM philosophy

RockRam208April 01, 2021 02:06PM

Re: Not sure whether it is a team strategy or a GM philosophy

Rams43134April 01, 2021 02:26PM

You bring up a good point I never thought about

Deadpool136April 01, 2021 04:10PM

Rule of Thumb: Coaches draft for now: GMs draft for tomorrow

leafnose91April 02, 2021 07:01AM

Re: Rule of Thumb: Coaches draft for now: GMs draft for tomorrow

Rams4359April 02, 2021 07:36AM

dzrams61April 02, 2021 08:12AM

Rams4355April 02, 2021 08:23AM

dzrams69April 02, 2021 08:34AM

Rams4390April 02, 2021 08:51AM

Re: I'm wondering if the Rams draft strategy will change or start to change this year

Rams43154April 01, 2021 02:07PM

Thanks 43

Deadpool173April 01, 2021 04:12PM

With Kroenke, Demoff, Snead and McVay they are in permanent win-now mode

RockRam114April 02, 2021 08:13AM

dzrams250April 01, 2021 02:09PM

yeah, this makes a ton of sense

Deadpool171April 01, 2021 04:26PM

Really insightful point (nm)

RockRam68April 02, 2021 08:15AM