Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Question for the board.... NFL Ref's Biases.....

November 06, 2023 01:13PM
First allow me to state my opinion... yes, I think there is bias, but not in the manner many define it. I don't think there is 'cheating'... (although I'm sure that in the history of the NFL that HAS happened but I do not think it's prevalent or even close to it) I think it's subconscious bias... example: A player known for committing a lot of fouls is watched more closely... and close calls skew against said player.

So Kendricks. I'm not put off by him not starting, (this ain't about that), but at the same time I think he can no longer defend in the same exact manner other DB's can defend.... if it's close he's getting a flag. He has that reputation... subconscious bias.

i think that subconscious bias applies to 'teams' as well. Teams known for committing fouls will be watched more closely and 'close calls' will be skewed against them. Elite teams, or the more popular teams... the opposite. They are not watched as closely and close calls will skew, (even if slightly), in their favor.

Someone may bring up 'pay back' calls.... different animal, IMHO... but yes, I think they exist. But, again, I don't think it's rampant among officials.

In the end I see no solution to this....it's human nature.... and I'm ok with it.... and will admit I'm ok with it even after I throw a hysterical fit about a lousy call against our Rams. - JamesJM
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Question for the board.... NFL Ref's Biases.....

JamesJM215November 06, 2023 01:13PM

Re: Question for the board.... NFL Ref's Biases.....

Old Goat76November 06, 2023 01:37PM

Raiders used to be a prime example

NJRam71565November 06, 2023 01:39PM

waterfield105November 06, 2023 01:47PM

GRAM Torino65November 06, 2023 02:26PM

BerendsenRam50November 10, 2023 05:21PM

I don't know about bias

NewMexicoRam97November 06, 2023 03:16PM

Re: ...calling penalties when the foul ISN'T EVEN THERE?

mtramfan87November 06, 2023 08:36PM

sfbayram42November 07, 2023 02:45AM