Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

the Fangio-Staley-Morris defense?

August 08, 2023 12:33PM
mtramfan
Smoke coming out of JY53's ears?

My overall takeaway from this informal research and random observation is that the Fangio-Staley-Morris defense is geared to play the percentages rather than gamble (albeit gambling is more exciting - or disastrous, depending) and to be effective is driven by a strong pass rush. Drops and passes defended stats didn't show in my quick lookups but I recall from being force-fed Bronco games during that era that they were tough to pass against. Somebody was always in the QB's grill - and over the course of a game the D got stronger and wore opponents down shile not giving up a lot of points.

All of this confirms my original opinion: You need the horses up front. The effectiveness of the D rests on that.

Is there such a thing as the Fangio-Staley-Morris defense? I think they are 3 different defenses with similar "concepts".

I'm not a Defensive Coordinator and I don't pretend to be one on an internet message board either, lol, but I think all 3 dudes ran their defenses differently than the other.

Fangio is the originator. The one that McVay wanted so bad but had to settle for option 2. lol

Staley ran the scheme his way and did it well enough to get a HC gig pretty quickly by doing so.

Morris tried to run the Fangio scheme his way too but didn't get any serious job offers even after winning a SB.

From what my eyes have seen from all three, Fangio obviously ran it the best. After all, it is HIS scheme. lol

Staley ran it pretty well and even tweaked it enough to get noticed by entire league.

The "Sultan of Soft" Raheem Morris also added his own "wrinkles" to the Fangio system and instantly made it the softest in the league. Those Morris "wrinkles" also made the league take notice resulting in no serious offers for a HC job from any teams at all.

I have never been a fan of "If I can't get the guy I want, I will get someone else to try and imitate him".

The imitator is NEVER as good as the original. IMO, Morris is a perfect example of that.

As for "needing horses" to make it work, I agree 100% but if you line up your CB's 8-10 yards off the ball, it won't matter if you have "horses" or not because the ball will be out of the QB's hands before those "horses" can get out of the gate.

That's just what has been happening too. AD, possibly the greatest "horse" in the NFL's history, had his talent negated due to those large cushions and playing it "safe".

Now, after McVay failed to get his boy Fangio again due to Morris not being hired away had to fire some of the defensive staff to try and make the defense "grow some b@lls".

I really hoping Lake and Pleasant will help bring some "creativity" and "toughness" to the Morris version of the Fangio system...it sure NEEDS it!

#HelmetHornsMatter

“Well, the color is good, I like the metallic blue,” Youngblood recently said while laughing, via NFL Journal. “The horn is terrible. It looks like a ‘C.’ When I first saw it on the logo I honestly thought it was a Charger logo.

“Now when I see it on the helmet, it just isn’t a ram horn. There is no distinct curl like a mature ram horn. I don’t know how the Rams could get that wrong. That is your symbol and it has been for what? Seventy years or more? Longer than I have been alive? It’s just not us, it’s not the Rams.”---Mr. Ram Jack Youngblood

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2023 01:16PM by Ramsdude.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Oldnotdead on the JJ signing…

Rams43598August 07, 2023 02:27PM

Some So Ram on the JJ signing…

Rams43160August 07, 2023 02:30PM

Re: Oldnotdead? Are you sure? on the JJ signing…

mtramfan148August 07, 2023 02:37PM

Re: Oldnotdead? Are you sure? on the JJ signing…

Rams43116August 07, 2023 02:54PM

Re: Pass rush and secomdary play go hand-in-glove.

mtramfan98August 07, 2023 05:06PM

Re: Pass rush and secomdary play go hand-in-glove.

Rams43100August 07, 2023 05:36PM

Re: Oldnotdead on the JJ signing…

Old Goat101August 07, 2023 03:17PM

LMU9395August 07, 2023 03:32PM

Ramsdude55August 08, 2023 07:49AM

AlbaNY_Ram111August 07, 2023 04:10PM

3030101August 07, 2023 04:17PM