Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

ADD and McVay... you hit a wellspring in me

March 26, 2023 10:58AM
Hyperfocus and trying to cover all the bases at once are ADHD traits.

ADD'er tend to see the whole forest - and the bark on each tree, and where the shafts of sunlight showe through, all at once. Neurotrypical people have to focus on one part at a time with only a general view of the whole system.

I know.

As an educator in my past life I specialized in bringing these kids around. i researched, developed programs specifically for them, watched a good number of them do more than succeed - they excelled.

Very often ADD and ADHD go undiagnosed - as those traits are often accompanied by hyper-intelligence. We get by with our wits, learn to compensate for and overcome our non-normative traits in a world geared to the norms. Normal, to us, may as well be nothing more than a setting on the dryer, not a description of how we should operate. We tend to exceed the norms, go beyond therm instead of being confined by them, when and if we find our niches.

We also tend to recognize and intuitively understand each other. That's why, among other things, I could dig those kids out. I know what I see in McVay. I watch somebody much like him, temperamentally, shave every day.

You see them everywhere in high profile positions; once they catch on they tend to be high achievers. ADD or ADHD for me is less a stigma than realizing that some people's minds run faster than others, and operate on several different planes at once. We're non-normative. It ain't a disorder, as it's been labeled. It's a particular syndrome with many variants that fall into certain patterns. I call it hyperfocus/distraction syndrome.

We tend to hyperfocus and do best in roles that demand uber-attention at multiple levels simultaneously, (such as football.) When not in hyperfocus mode, we tend toward distraction.

Distraction is our enemy.

Distractions lead us up blind alleys or creates messes to be dealt with later and we never get back on task - unless the task is so compelling that it consumes all of our attention, and eventually all of our energy. We tend toward high achievement followed by burnout, rinse and repeat.

We tend to be hyper-competetive, wanting to excel at whatever rivets our attention. As such, ironically, we want to control what distracts us. (Curious how that works, but it's there.)

And stay with me here: Delegation or letting something go that we could do better if we didn't have something more important to do is a conundrum for us. We can get stuck in it - it"s difficult to outgrow but it can be done - usually on the end of blunt force earning from something that completely knocked us off the tracks.

We need to do more than simply get back on track - and when we realize it, (may take several blunt force experiences) we can go from there. (I hope and pray that McVay reached that point coming out of last year.)

Einstein had a messy desk, while he saw the allness of the universe and could reduce some of its working essentials into mathematical formulas. Edison persevered, hyperfocused on tasks he simply wouldn't - couldn't - let go of in a messy lab for how many years? Inventing what, besides the electric light bulb?

Both of those guys have been assiduously diagnosed, after the fact, as ADD'ers.

I have nothing but high hopes and admiration for McVay. What he learns about himself, how deeply he digs into his own soul will have more to do with his successes from here on out that what else he might learn about football.

Godspeed, coach. I'm pulling for you.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Only 4 players from Sean McVay's first 3 drafts are still on the Rams

BerendsenRam332March 25, 2023 08:05AM

Re: Only 4 players from Sean McVay's first 3 drafts are still on the Rams

dodgerram114March 25, 2023 08:24AM

Re: Only 4 players from Sean McVay's first 3 drafts are still on the Rams

BerendsenRam95March 25, 2023 09:10AM

Yeah, but is it something else?

Ramsdude107March 25, 2023 11:41AM

Re: Yeah, but is it something else?

303049March 26, 2023 05:28AM

Yup, that's what I was thinking 3030

Ramsdude62March 26, 2023 05:52AM

Bottom line:

mtramfan45March 26, 2023 09:16AM

I think I remember someone

Ramsdude55March 26, 2023 09:40AM

Re: Only 4 players... are still on the Rams, because...

mtramfan81March 25, 2023 10:22PM

Re: Only 4 players... are still on the Rams, because...

Ramboni68March 26, 2023 03:36AM

ADD and McVay... you hit a wellspring in me

mtramfan63March 26, 2023 10:58AM

No idea or comment on that

JimYoungblood5362March 26, 2023 11:20AM

Hmm

JimYoungblood53100March 25, 2023 11:54AM

Re: And the Chiefs have 3 players from the same 3 drafts

AlbaNY_Ram108March 26, 2023 03:54AM

Good points, Albany

NewMexicoRam83March 26, 2023 05:02AM

Agreed AlbaNY

Ramsdude62March 26, 2023 05:23AM

Coincidence?

PARAM87March 26, 2023 05:48AM

The NFL has become "Musical Players" more than ever. And it's gonna get worse...

Ramgator60March 26, 2023 07:19AM

Right???

Ramsdude61March 26, 2023 07:28AM

Re: Right???

BerendsenRam55March 26, 2023 10:09AM