Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Though not a scheme I like

November 30, 2022 11:49AM
leafnose
Is it being used as a salve to patch up the lack of talent?

Or is that right? The assertion that this McVay willing the scheme onto Morris?

Most of all, do you think this is being played too a fault? Are they sacrificing some alternate installs to avoid explosives?

BTW, not seeing what's going on in the backend of the defense when Mahomes was unable to find a open player is somewhat reassuring.
Yeah, things are going well, but it wasn't as if Patrick was shredding us the entire game. And yeah, #6 is taking the brunt of targeting.

as said a lot of times--I never was fan of the gap-and-a-half front or the Fangio scheme, but admit I never studied it before.

The second thing you say is true. This is the Fangio scheme, which Brandon Staley brought to the Rams and is what McVay wanted. When
the Rams faced Fangio in 2018 they slowed Rams offense, if you remember Rams were killing it, Goff was killing it, then he began to regress.
That regression could be traced to the Fangio defense. Staley was with Fangio in Chi then Denver

SO, yes, McVay wants this scheme. And if he didn't he could tell Morris what to do. When they meet and gameplan McVay must not be
telling the coaches to make significant changes.

Anyway - there are ways to play the defense less deep on the outside--other teams play pff, but since 2020 Rams play 7.5 to 7.9 yards depth
on average by the measurements ACS uses...and QBs get the ball out quick vs Rams, 1st this year, 3rd last year...

So, the scheme is used to not give up big plays over the top, chunk plays in the seams, and to keep opponents to 20 points a game. They do it by first
playing a lot of coverages out of the same presnap look. They show the 2-high shell and play Cover-2 or more often rotate on safety down and play Cover-3
or stay in two high but "drift" to Cover-6 (and 8 which is the counterpart to 6) or Cover-4, and they can play 2-man as well.

Why Rams play softer than others teams, I don't know (I also don't whine like a b!%ch like oldnotdead does), but only suspect
it is that the DBs are not stellar, other than Ramsey. Also, to some degree, the depth can be altered by the CB himself---

I have learned to accept the scheme is what it is. I reject, however, the notion that Morris is stupid and a coward and should be fired
but I wish we'd have installed a defensive front that was four men in a one-gap scheme like Jets or 49ers or even Dallas---with
multiple coverages but we had that in Fisher's scheme. I think one-gap is more defensive line friendly than gap-and-a-half or two gap.
But we don't get what we want---I didn't even want Phillips, I thought there were better options at the time,

As far as installs, I DO think they are not using the full Fangio scheme in that there are things I see Philly doing that Rams don't do.
They are more complex, I mean they do a lot of the same things, but they also add to it. They have two ball-hawking safeties and Rams
have none, so we cannot do the things they do just on that front. They also have two corners than can play both man and zone...Rams
don't have that---only Ramsey.

I think although the defense is good, it would be better if the pass rush could get home. Floyd and Gaines--both had 2 sacks a couple of weeks
ago then another shutout---they have not been mustering a rush all year. And also, it is not just lack of sacks it is lack or pressure. A QB can get
ball out fast and still be affected by the rush. Just like last year and year before. Floyd, and some of the interior guys disrupted things, beat their guy,
got some hurries and hits. Ball may have been gone fast but throws were affected.

So, a good rush by four guys would make this a top 5-8 defense rather than a top 10-12 or so defense.

Personally, I don't know why Kendricks is playing or why they even took him...I don't know why Rochelle is not playing. It may have to do
with the ability to learn the skills needed to be an NFL player as opposed to being a good college player. That's just a guess.

You look at teams who use this scheme and do well--have good personnel in secondary, Denver, 2 All-pros, and 3 other good players. Same with Philly

But with Chargers they seeming have some talent in secondary, but they are bad as this scheme--they are bottom ten defense in most categories
there are at least several other teams running it--GB, MIN, SEA, and there are a lot of other teams you see it some of the time...and some of them stink and others are good and it would be interesting if someone looked at he success or failures and see if there is a correlation to the personnel--I think there probably is and also the better and smarter the DBs the more can be done---but that's again, just a guess.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

What’s going on with our Rams secondary?

Rams43344November 29, 2022 07:05AM

Soft play has made them soft n lazy.

Ramgator106November 29, 2022 07:09AM

Umm, I don't think I agree...

JamesJM100November 29, 2022 07:21AM

Re: Soft play has made them soft n lazy.

Rams4389November 29, 2022 07:24AM

I'm not so sure. Tackling is weak......

Ramgator89November 29, 2022 07:44AM

Re: I'm not so sure. Tackling is weak......

Rams4377November 29, 2022 07:55AM

Re: Soft play has made them soft n lazy.

Old Goat83November 30, 2022 11:18AM

Ya, been wondering the same!

fullcurl153November 29, 2022 07:24AM

Re: What’s going on with our Rams secondary?

LMU93105November 29, 2022 07:55AM

Rams4398November 29, 2022 10:29AM

I really enjoy your posts

Hazlet Hacksaw100November 29, 2022 03:47PM

Wait, I am pretty level headed too

Ramsdude80November 29, 2022 03:50PM

Last year's coach is DC for the Broncos

promomasterj146November 29, 2022 07:59AM

What promo said! (Nm)

3030146November 29, 2022 01:36PM

I think I know what happened...

Ramsdude210November 29, 2022 10:40AM

Re: I think I know what happened...

BerendsenRam85November 29, 2022 04:00PM

Jacobarch chimes in…

Rams43179November 29, 2022 10:47AM

Star is just the name for slot

JimYoungblood5377November 29, 2022 11:34AM

Re: Youngblood......how do weigh in on the scheme?

leafnose78November 30, 2022 07:23AM

Though not a scheme I like

JimYoungblood5353November 30, 2022 11:49AM

Merlin certainly doesn’t hold back here…

Rams43102November 29, 2022 02:17PM

Oldnotdead has his say, too…

Rams4391November 29, 2022 02:20PM

Ramstien61November 30, 2022 04:49AM

good secondary play usually coincides with a good pass rush

Rampage2K-81November 30, 2022 10:06AM

BonifayRam has a few thoughts on Rams secondary…

Rams4366November 30, 2022 01:53PM

Re: BonifayRam has a few thoughts on Rams secondary…

Ramstien97November 30, 2022 01:59PM