Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Stephen Jones says Cowboys won't copy Rams' way of pursuing a ring

July 29, 2022 09:02AM
[theramswire.usatoday.com]

Cameron DaSilva
July 29, 2022 10:22 am PT

The Los Angeles Rams proved last year – and even a bit in 2018 – that being aggressive in pursuit of a championship works. They went against the grain both years, acquiring star players instead of simply using draft picks on rookies and building a young, unproven roster.

Some teams have begun copying that strategy by trading for players such as Russell Wilson, Davante Adams, Tyreek Hill and Khalil Mack, among others, but the Cowboys won’t use that same approach.

Cowboys COO Stephen Jones explained why this week, saying they feel good about building through the draft and using a plan that is “not a flash, sexy way.”

“I know there’s no question when the Rams step up and do what they did and they win a Super Bowl championship, and of course their mantra was, you know, to get some big-name players who did show up for them in the postseason,” he said on 105.3 The Fan, as transcribed by Mark Lane. “Then that becomes, ‘Hey, you know, look at the Rams. Look at what they did. Everybody needs to emulate it.’ I mean it’s a copycat league, and, well, they’re doing it, they won one, let’s do it the way the Rams did it. So, I get that. I understand our fans and what we’re doing here. It’s certainly not a flashy, sexy way we went about it this offseason, but we feel really good that the results are going to be much better.”

Jones isn’t ignoring what the Rams accomplished, but teams would be foolish to look at what Les Snead and Sean McVay have done and brush it aside. It’s not as if the Rams mortgaged their future last season and will now be bottom-feeders in the NFC.

Just the opposite. They’re poised to make another run at a ring in 2022 despite losing Von Miller and Darious Williams. How? Because they still have Matthew Stafford, Cooper Kupp, Aaron Donald and Jalen Ramsey – and just added Bobby Wagner and Allen Robinson.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

BerendsenRam316July 29, 2022 09:02AM

LOL, that sounds kinda arrogant.....

roman18148July 29, 2022 09:40AM

In other news, Dallas hasn't won a Super Bowl since the 1995 season (nm)

AlbaNY_Ram107July 29, 2022 09:59AM

Although everyone is currently saying..

sstrams162July 29, 2022 10:14AM

Re: Although everyone is currently saying..

BerendsenRam123July 29, 2022 10:24AM

Hey. HEY!!!!! How dare you forget???

Ramgator81July 29, 2022 03:35PM

He had Dad's permission to say so!

promomasterj107July 29, 2022 11:22AM

Re: Stephen Jones says Cowboys won't copy Rams' way of pursuing a ring

Rams4395July 29, 2022 12:33PM

Re: Stephen Jones says Cowboys won't copy Rams' way of pursuing a ring

Old Goat108July 29, 2022 01:13PM

Stephen's cruising around in dad's ferrari

merlin95July 29, 2022 01:22PM

Re: Stephen's cruising around in dad's ferrari