Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sean McVay 'very interested and intrigued' by broadcasting, but now wasn't the right time

March 03, 2022 08:07AM
[theramswire.usatoday.com] Sean McVay 'very interested and intrigued' by broadcasting, but now wasn't the right time

Skyler Carlin
March 3, 2022 6:19 am PT

In the week leading up to the Super Bowl between the Los Angeles Rams and the Cincinnati Bengals, there were reports that Sean McVay could consider leaving the coaching scene in favor of taking a job on television. McVay has since committed to remaining the head coach of the Rams after leading Los Angeles to a Super Bowl victory, attempting to repeat as world champions next season.

While McVay is preparing for his sixth year as the head coach of the Rams — with a new-look coaching staff and potentially an extension — he admits that getting in the booth is something that interests him down the road.

“I love this game, I love coaching this game, I love working with the people. I just think the timing and everything that surrounded it, it’s very flattering. I’m humbled by it,” McVay said Wednesday. “To say that that’s not something down the line that I’m not very interested and intrigued by would not be accurate, but I’m totally committed to coaching.

“It doesn’t go lost on me the amount of people that took a chance on me when I was 30 years old as a head coach. The investment in these relationships with players, with coaches and I’m very, very excited. And as soon as you make that decision to move forward, the clarity and the peace that you had, you knew this is exactly what I wanted to do and there was never really a doubt.”

Given McVay’s knowledge of the game and his charismatic demeanor, networks understand that he’d be a welcomed addition to television. One report recently revealed that McVay could have been offered $100 million over five years to join Amazon’s football coverage.

But McVay loves coaching too much to make that jump right now, and would miss the positive benefits of holding the job that he currently has.

“I’ve always been drawn to the game and what a cool opportunity to stay connected (as a broadcaster), but you aren’t totally connected in a lot of the ways that bring you that joy and that real connection and some of those feelings,” he said. “You don’t miss some of the bad feelings that accompany being a head coach, too, but I finished this season probably as refreshed and rejuvenated as I’ve ever been. I think a large part of that is being around coaches and players that give you that energy.”

It would be unprecedented for a 36-year-old coach to walk away from coaching after winning a Super Bowl, but there’s more money to be had on television. That being said, McVay shared that his heart is in coaching right now and he plans on helping the Rams defend their title as champions.

Following a Super Bowl win, it seems inevitable that McVay will receive a lucrative extension from the Rams this offseason. Once we get an update on what that extension looks like, television networks will likely be counting down the days when they can sway him to leave coaching.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Sean McVay is “refreshed” and “rejuvenated” after Super Bowl win

BerendsenRam376March 02, 2022 07:58PM

keep hitting the snooze button, Sean...

LMU93217March 03, 2022 02:50AM

Re: Sean McVay is “refreshed” and “rejuvenated” after Super Bowl win

azramfan169March 03, 2022 04:50AM

MamaRAMa149March 03, 2022 05:05AM

oldschoolramfan223March 03, 2022 05:27AM

Ohiorams152March 03, 2022 06:53AM

oldschoolramfan104March 03, 2022 09:56AM

What we learned from Sean McVay's combine press conference

BerendsenRam145March 03, 2022 08:03AM

Sean McVay 'very interested and intrigued' by broadcasting, but now wasn't the right time

BerendsenRam151March 03, 2022 08:07AM

I don't get it

waterfield141March 03, 2022 10:35AM

Thursday Night Football!!

AlbaNY_Ram117March 03, 2022 07:16PM