Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

20 random run-it-back thoughts by AvengerRam…

February 21, 2022 07:40AM
Here’s AvengerRam…

1. I'm still pinching myself. It really happened!

2. I guess it's to be expected that, after a Super Bowl decided by 3 points, there is going to be people on social media who will try to undermine the accomplishments by citing to penalty calls, dropped passes, or some other factor other than the winning team's success. Though I've been drawn in a little, this is just noise. In a year or two, the only thing most people will remember is that the Rams are World Champions.

3. I'm not sure that the Rams' second half defensive performance has received the attention it deserves. After the Bengals scored on the first play of the half (which, of course, should have been called back), the Bengals had 61 total yards of offense in the second half, and the Rams registered 6 of their Super Bowl record tying 7 sacks. That was an epic display.

4. Some of us, myself included, questioned Raheem Morris earlier in the season. Clearly, we owe him an apology. I think as fans - an impatient species, no doubt - we sometimes forget that a new coach's system can take time to gel before it hits its stride. The good news is, Morris will be back, along with most of the defensive starters. I'm excited to see how good they can be next year.

5. And so, the offseason begins. So many random thou--- er--- questions.

6. Who returns and who leaves? Let's start with the offensive line. While they were not consistently dominant (need to run the ball better than we did in the Super Bowl), they were sufficiently effective to take us to a Championship. There could be a significant changes here, though.

7. I'm expecting that Andrew Whitworth will retire, and Joe Noteboom seems like the obvious heir apparent at the LT spot. It will be interesting to see what his market value is, as he is a UFA. If his price goes up enough, I wonder if the Rams might consider using the franchise tag on him, which would solidify the position in the short term and put him in a "prove it" season.

8. On the interior OL, I wonder if we can afford to re-up with both Austin Corbett and Brian Allen. If the answer is "no," I feel like there will be prospects in the 3rd or 4th round of the draft who can step in and fill the role.

9. I'm "silver lining" kind of guy, so I had this thought about the WR position. I want the Rams to find a way to bring back OBJ, and expect that they will do so. As he won't be ready to play until the latter half of the season, though, I see a window for Tutu Atwell to find a role. His rookie year was a bust, but I don't think he necessarily will be one. His speed and quickness could bring an interesting element to the offense next year.

10. I think the offense really missed Tyler Higbee in the Super Bowl, particularly after OBJ went down. While Kendall Blanton and Brycen Hopkins had their hero moments in the playoffs, I won't be surprised if the Rams look to bolster the TE depth this offseason.

11. The Rams paid a high price for a half season of Von Miller, but it was clearly worth it. We need to keep him, though. Who doesn't want to see a full season of Donald, Miller and Floyd terrorizing QBs (I mean, other than opposing QBs!)?

12. Looking back, I think that one of the most important games this season was the win at Baltimore. Down 16-7 after 3 quarters, on the road, Matthew Stafford (who had thrown 2 INTs earlier) leads the team to a comeback win. The internal message was... this team can fight past adversity and find a way to win. The fact that then newly acquired OBJ and Miller played huge roles was also a key. The confidence developed on that day was displayed in the playoffs.

13. If there's one guy who I think will be the "odd man out" its Sony Michel. While he was a key, stabilizing force this season, I think its unlikely that we'll wish to pay him what other teams would, particularly with a healthy Cam Akers and Darrell Henderson returning.

14. A year ago, I asserted that the Rams had "broken" the Seahawks. I was pretty spot on with that one. This year, I'd say we "broke" the Cardinals. They're a mess right now.

15. That, of course, leaves the hated 49ers as our top rival in the division. It's difficult to evaluate them at this point, given the QB position. I'm going to go on record as saying that if, as is generally expected, they simply hand the keys to Trey Lance, they will have significant growing pains. Let's not forget, due to a combination of COVID and his semi-redshirt rookie season, he's only started 3 football games since 2019. Anyone who thinks he's going to come in as a full time starter and play consistent football is kidding themself.

16. There are so many issues we'll focus on in the next few months, both internal and external to the Rams. Right now, though (to paraphrase Lloyd Dobler), I can't figure it all out, so I'm just going to hang out with this Lombardi Trophy!

17. If I can be permitted a moment of self-indulgence, I'd like to look back to something I said back in October in a thread in which I implored myself and others to take "Ferris Bueller" approach this season and try to enjoy the ride: "That can be harder to do than to say. As a fan, I'm always a bit worried, concerned about personnel issues, and tempering my optimism with caution. I agonize during close games, and brood a bit when the losses come. I know I can't change all that, but I really want to try to stop, look around, and appreciate the ride that we may be on." For the most part, I think I succeeded. Sure, there were plenty of tense moments, but I really did have fun this year.

18. How much fun will the encore performance be!

19. So, this will be the "season finale" of the Random Thoughts series for 2021. I'll post an occasional offseason entry regarding free agency, the draft, etc. For those who have read, commented and "liked" these entries (23 consecutive weeks?), I thank you. It's always cathartic for me to do this weekly "data dump," so, for me, it's a labor of love.

20. What a great time to be a Rams fan.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

20 random run-it-back thoughts by AvengerRam…

Rams43603February 21, 2022 07:40AM

Re: 20 random run-it-back thoughts by AvengerRam…

AlbaNY_Ram261February 21, 2022 08:17AM

Terrific post Albany.

max295February 21, 2022 10:33AM

Yes, the O line.

NewMexicoRam127February 21, 2022 12:55PM

Re: More on #7 and about #12

leafnose199February 21, 2022 01:21PM

Interior OL and secondary

merlin138February 22, 2022 10:09AM

Rams43149February 21, 2022 10:51AM

Ramstien258February 21, 2022 12:25PM