Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bill Bellichik is a genius…

February 05, 2022 04:33AM
and he frequently trades first round picks to accumulate additional picks. [www.nbcsports.com]

I recently heard someone say that teams regularly have only about 18-20 people with first round grades; as the Pats are typically picking at the back end of the first round, it makes sense.

Rams trade first round picks for players that established and highly productive (Ramsey, Stafford, Cooks). The picks they trade are also typically at back end of the first round.

Not all of the Rams trades have worked out as they desired; consider Cooks. But when the Rams eventually traded Cooks, they sent him and a 4th to the Texans and got a second. The pick acquired from the Texans was number 57 overall and was used to select Van Jefferson, aI study role player on a team that has Kupp, Woods, and OBJ. Jefferson, who would be much more productive on a team with lesser WR talent, gives the Rams flexibility moving forward should OBJ leave or they decide to part ways with Bobby Trees (which I hope they don’t do, but which one must consider a possibility if OBJ resigns).

They traded a third and a fifth to the Jags for Fowler and received a 3rd round (I believe) comp pick when he signed with Atlanta. So the Rams essentially traded a fifth for player that was instrumental in their 2018 Super Bowl run.

They also do an excellent job of identifying and developing late round/undrafted players. When these players leave, they get comp picks. Consider Littleton, and undrafted FA who netted a fourth round comp pick when he signed with Oakland.

Well, what about Stafford? They essentially traded 4 first round picks (plus other picks) for him (this includes the two first rounders to move up for Goff). Oh my, what a disaster! Really?

While Goff, in retrospect, was a “rental”, the Rams went to a Super bowl with him, and are now going to a Super Bowl with Stafford. That is two Super Bowl appearances in four years. The only other team to match this feat in the last 4 years is the Chiefs.

In the last 4 years, the Rams had 36 draft picks, none in the 1st round, and only 4 in the second round. Five players from the 2017 and 2018 draft have netted comp picks when they signed elsewhere. Those players were drafted in the 2nd round, 3rd round, and 4th round (3).

Also in that time frame, despite having no 1st round picks, I count 15 players who are either starters or key contributors. [eatdrinkandsleepfootball.com]

The Rams have been successful in their approach- two SBs in 4 years is testament to that . All in all, when I think of the Rams propensity to trade first round picks, I think of badges:

[youtu.be]
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Man, I am tired of hearing how the Rams mortgaged their future

The_Zone429February 04, 2022 02:33PM

One nice thing about being a dunce like me...

JamesJM161February 04, 2022 03:29PM

Just ignorance

Atlantic Ram206February 04, 2022 07:30PM

Re: Just ignorance

OzRam297February 05, 2022 12:11AM

After a decade & a half of darkness you go for it

David Deacon99February 05, 2022 04:07AM

Bill Bellichik is a genius…

Thirtymac, The Intrepid Ram101February 05, 2022 04:33AM

IMO, the single reality that makes the whole argument absurd...

JYB105February 05, 2022 04:45AM