Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Well, what the heck, not a topic I'm comfortable with...

February 01, 2022 11:07PM
JamesJM
some strong and diverse opinions. I can understand most of them.... but for me:

I'm part of what I think is a huge group of football fans that do not live in, or even near, a city that hosts an NFL team. When I became a Ram fan LA or even California meant nothing to me... too young to think in those terms. I liked the Horns, like everyone else... I saw them on TV somewhat often... got to know some players who became sports heroes for me.

Not a chance in hell I'll ever switch teams as long as the Rams are a franchise. Should they stop being a franchise, (may the earth be destroyed by an asteroid before that occurrence) I'd still follow football, avidly, but I very much doubt I'd ever choose a specific team to root for.

I'm very against team identities moving.... so when the Rams moved to St. Louis I was against it. I never once questioned whether I would still follow them, however, that was as sure as the sun coming up in the morning. When they moved back to LA is was a bit different.... still didn't like moves but I grew up with LA Rams so It didn't feel like a 'move' to me as such. At the same time, I was 100% behind St. Louis fans for hating Kroenke... I completely agree he treated them badly.. pretty much like Mama spells out, not the move as much as the lies and disrespect.

I believe if a team moves they should be forced to leave behind the name AND heroes.... No other city should be allowed too take the name or celebrate, as their own, the players that played under that banner. But obviously it happens a lot.... so it is what it is.

In the past Waterfield has questioned why then I don't hope for a move back to Cleveland, where the Rams debuted. Well, I wasn't alive then... pretty hard for me to conjure up emotional attachment to an identity that never existed in my lifetime. laughing smiley I do like the Browns, however. laughing smiley

Nope, it's the Rams and only the Rams for me. Followed them to St. Louis, should they move to Argentina I'll follow them there.... won't like it but then... and here is where I'll lose the board...

The Rams are mine. I don't associate them with the owner much, if at all, and same for the city they play in. I have an attachment to the name.... Los Angeles Rams... had as strong an attachment to St. Louis Rams. But at the same time those are 'names' to me... no disrespect to citizens of those two cities, or any city.... but the geographic thing is not very meaningful to me; while fully understanding and respect for those who do base their fandom on geography.

Just one other quick note... the geographic thing... and this won't be all that logica. I get it when it comes to High Schools... the players are locals... but Pro's? So those who do base loyalty on geography I GET... they adopt the players, (sort of), AND they have real competitive rivalries with other cities... all logical, makes perfect sense... but I don't have that with the Pros. The very thought of LA vs St. Louis, or NY vs Philly, or Miami vs Seattle, has no meaning for me..... the team monikers, histories, do.

JamesJM

This. Grew up in Kentucky. My college team was local but I chose my pro teams for different reasons.
Rams...loved the colours and helmets, plus they were successful.
Angels...everyone was a Reds fan and I wanted an AL team and thought it was cool they had the top two pitchers in Ryan and Tanana.
Bruins...loved the spoked B logo.
Celtics...loved Bird-McHale-Johnson-Parrish-Ainge. Now I just pull for former UK players.

The Rams and Angels are the only pro teams I'll even watch and I've only been to LA like three times my whole life.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

? for STL fans

Tony Romas842February 01, 2022 08:25AM

Re: ? for STL fans

MamaRAMa470February 01, 2022 08:47AM

You don´t choose your team, you get chosen as a fan

dodgerram290February 01, 2022 12:27PM

Re: You don´t choose your team, you get chosen as a fan

Rampage2K-188February 01, 2022 12:36PM

waterfield122February 01, 2022 01:15PM

Rampage2K-153February 01, 2022 01:30PM

waterfield114February 01, 2022 03:21PM

exactly

CeeZar234February 02, 2022 01:55AM

Well, what the heck, not a topic I'm comfortable with...

JamesJM185February 01, 2022 02:02PM

Rampage2K-232February 01, 2022 02:15PM

waterfield119February 01, 2022 04:51PM

Rampage2K-118February 01, 2022 07:58PM

Great Bordeni73February 01, 2022 11:07PM

wombat134February 01, 2022 04:44PM

LMU93186February 01, 2022 12:51PM

What happened to freedom of choice. . . .

RAMbeau217February 01, 2022 01:54PM

Re: What happened to freedom of choice. . . .

dodgerram216February 01, 2022 10:50PM

Old Goat288February 02, 2022 01:19AM

Classicalwit133February 01, 2022 04:34PM

MamaRAMa333February 01, 2022 07:30PM

stlramz245February 01, 2022 07:43PM

I have to say I don't really see the point of this thread

NewMexicoRam130February 01, 2022 03:43PM