Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

More like the Brenda Warner Story - Spoiler Alert - Don't read if you haven't seen yet

January 02, 2022 04:04AM
Went to see the movie last night with my wife and both left with unexpected different pinions. She is not a football fan much less a Rams fan from West Virginia and she reached for the tissues several times and said she was pleasantly surprised after the movie and said it was like her beloved Hallmark movies.

Me on the other hand was went with my Rams gear and 2000 Superbowl hat and walked in with great anticipation. Like many on this board, I know the story inside and out and every little detail of Warner's story. Me and my sons visited Macomb several years during this time and had conversations with Vermeil, Martz & Lovie Smith and waited in the lines to have pictures with my sons with Kurt. Here are the reasons I think the ultra present Brenda Warner was the screen writer, as I expected it to be about Kurt's transition from Northern Iowa after his high school years in Cedar Rapids.

- We had to learn she was employee of the month for tight fitting jeans.
- We had to learn about her kids before Kurt, nothing of their shared children.
- Made sure we learned about her military service.
- Made she she got the story out that her ex-husband caused Zachary's disabilities by dropping in on his head.
- Had to show how tough it was on her with Kurt not keeping heat on in winter.
- Had to show when Kurt irresponsibly ran out of gas and left her and her children in car in freezing conditions while he ran to get gas.
-And every occurrence where he was showing appreciation for his progression in the sport, it would center around him acknowledging that "we did it", making sure the audience knew that she was the inspiration for his success and dealt with the bad days.
- Focused on the untimely passing of her parents due to tornado and no mention of his father until the credits.
- Had to let us all know that her parents were supportive of him but that his mother did not initially want him to be with her and then later "realize" that he needs her for his motivation.

We wanted the Kurt Warner story which was missing the following:
- How he took the Barnstormers to championship twice and voted one of the best Arena league players in their history.
- Missed opportunity to workout with the Bears due to a spider bite on his throwing elbow while on his honeymoon.
- After signing a futures contract with the Rams in 1997 was allocated to NFL Europe with the Amsterdam Admirals and league the league in TD's with Jake Delhomme as his backup.
- Backed up Tony Banks and Steve Bono in 1998, although they made it seem like 1999 was his first year with the Rams.
- Warner was one of the five players left unprotected with the expansion Cleveland Browns who took no Rams that year.
- How he climbed the depth chart after they signed Trent Green, because they traded Banks to the Ravens and waived Bono which allowed him to be # 2 on depth chart. Martz campaigned for Jeff Hostetter to be signed.
- Sparred the controversy of Rodney Harrisons hit below the knees in preseason which gave Warner his chance.

Missed story lines:
- # 13 Dan Marino on Wheaties box while he worked in HyVee and could have showed he eventually made the same appearance on Wheaties, although they did show the Sports Illustrated article asking who is this guy ?
- They showed how he lost a Arena League championship when his receiver was tackled a yard from scoring and yet never mentioned or showed how the Rams when the Super Bow when Mike Jones saved the game by tackling Kevin Dyson in exact same situation.
-Only showed Ravens game with Ray Lewis interception as the villain only to acknowledge Kurt at end of game. Showed clips of Bengals game in Cincinnati.
- Mentioned Super Bowl MVP but not the league MVP as well (I think(.
- How nice life got the very next year for Kurt, Brenda and family by signing a $47 million dollar contract.
- Didn't show his unique desire to sign autographs and take pictures with every fan during training camp where most players run to the locker room to avoid the fans.
- Didn't mention his struggles with broken hand and being replaced by Marc Bulger where he had a uninspired time with Giants before voiding his contract and signing with the Cardinals finding his way back to the Super Bowl for the third time.
- How Vermeil was forced to bring in Martz to save his job and how players revolted against his training camps.
- The very very important acquisition of Marshall Faulk. Note: guy who Faulk looked fat !?!?!

To conclude, it was a Kurt warner story that looked to me like Brenda Warner controlled the screen play. I'm sure its not true but sure seems like she had a influence of the message of the movie and left disappointed. Kurt has had a amazing life and career and it seemed to me that it was too focused on Brenda and her bad haircuts (one guys opinion) and domineering personality. Sorry if I gave too much for those who haven't seen it but hoped to avoid by giving teh warning in the title.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

JUST returned from American Underdog! LOVED IT!

Ramgator816December 28, 2021 10:42AM

getting great reviews.....

Rampage2K-501December 28, 2021 10:58AM

Yeah, it mirrors the book perfectly...

sstrams250December 28, 2021 11:29AM

Re: getting great reviews.....

moklerman312December 31, 2021 07:46AM

Re: JUST returned from American Underdog! LOVED IT!

Great Bordeni172December 28, 2021 11:20AM

The cool thing about the movie (not REAL spoilers)

sstrams200December 28, 2021 11:31AM

Me too !

NewMexicoRam231December 28, 2021 11:43AM

As a kid, I USED to make light of Dick Vermeil breaking down all the time. BUT...

Ramgator224December 28, 2021 12:20PM

Dennis Quaide did an excellent Dick Vermeil breaking down

NewMexicoRam222December 28, 2021 01:35PM

Should I admit this?

JamesJM248December 28, 2021 02:03PM

You're gonna ball like a baby...

sstrams384December 28, 2021 02:06PM

Steve, I'm flipping crying NOW.....

JamesJM226December 28, 2021 02:08PM

Yup... you're in big trouble...

sstrams208December 28, 2021 02:11PM

All you SISSIES!!!! I held up perfectly fine!!

Ramgator178December 28, 2021 02:34PM

Teary eyed?

NewMexicoRam199December 28, 2021 04:22PM

just got back......great movie!!

Rampage2K-219December 28, 2021 05:17PM

agree, enjoyed it...

LMU93222December 31, 2021 06:41AM

My wife cried, my kids enjoyed it . . .

stlramz165December 31, 2021 09:12PM

Re: My wife cried, my kids enjoyed it . . .

RAMbunctious189December 31, 2021 10:51PM

Re: My wife cried, my kids enjoyed it . . .

B64 Rams 72265January 02, 2022 05:22AM

Ramkind242December 30, 2021 06:14PM

well said buddy

ferragamo79142December 30, 2021 06:37PM

stlramz379January 01, 2022 04:48PM

Ramkind122January 01, 2022 05:18PM

Martz made a good villain

BigGame81312January 01, 2022 05:05PM

More like the Brenda Warner Story - Spoiler Alert - Don't read if you haven't seen yet

B64 Rams 72227January 02, 2022 04:04AM

Kurt and Brenda were a team through it all.

Ramgator250January 02, 2022 04:18AM

Re: Kurt and Brenda were a team through it all.

B64 Rams 72208January 02, 2022 04:49AM

Re: More like the Brenda Warner Story - Spoiler Alert - Don't read if you haven't seen yet

Shecky149January 02, 2022 04:55AM

Re: More like the Brenda Warner Story - Spoiler Alert - Don't read if you haven't seen yet

B64 Rams 72259January 02, 2022 05:10AM

Guess you never read "All Things Possible"

Rampage2K-84January 02, 2022 07:17PM