Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Agree 100%

December 10, 2021 10:36AM
RockRam
You make my point for me.

Injuries can deplete otherwise very good teams and injuries at key positions especially.

Look what happened when Gurley got the injury that left him never the same again. It affected the Rams deeply.

The Niners can't seem to stay healthy, and so they're a .500 team. Saints 5-7. Fully healthy these teams are much better than those records.

You can blow off the Rams injuries and constant churn of OCs and DC's and losses to FA, etc., if you want to. You can dismiss losing a rising star RB in Akers or a #1 WR in Woods. But that's not realistic imo. There aren't guys just standing around ready to step in at their level.

The Rams have to rebuild the coaching staff every year. And, they have to find replacements for really good players that get big bucks contracts in FA every year. Usually 2 or more.

This isn't "next man up". It is very hard to do and few teams have been able to overcome it the way Snead and McVay have. So let's give some credit where it's due and not just find stuff to criticize.... and always after the fact.

What also matters is the quality of the injuries. Losing a role player is one thing. But losing a key guy is another. You can lose 5 or 6 role players and it looks terrible on the injury report but one key player can be far more impacting to a gameplan.

Akers was a key guy. So was Woody. In previous playoff years losing Kupp was enormous. That stuff definitely matters and plays a big role in who wins it all in this league. Some teams may have key depth behind the big loss too, like the '99 Rams sitting on Warner. But generally if you lose key guys you're gonna feel it and it's likely to keep you out of the elite teams.

What is kind of cool here for us is we picked up Odell and he looks pretty good so far so maybe they can make up for Woody's loss. Also the same with Michel, assuming he can stay healthy maybe he helps overcome that terrible loss of our feature back. People want to talk up Hendy but he's simply not in Akers' class and never will be. He's just a guy and a change of pace guy at that and some of our struggles have been due to the team trying once again where they have failed so many times before, in using him as a featured back.

If McVay feeds Michel in this game I think the Rams give the Cards all they can handle. And what this team has overcome to just be 8-4 given the turnover in coaching and the injuries I agree is impressive. There's a reason why McVay is a rock star. The dude is great at what he does.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Anyone else think about how many players we've lost and are out injured?

RockRam319December 10, 2021 03:24AM

the Rams injuries have been more typical of the league

LMU93154December 10, 2021 03:54AM

"More typical". Perhaps. But playoff teams need some luck in that department

RockRam94December 10, 2021 05:24AM

I called "more injuries, more fights"

alyoshamucci137December 10, 2021 04:17AM

you mean Troy Hill

21Dog191December 10, 2021 04:53AM

Re: Anyone else think about how many players we've lost and are out injured?

oldmanram218December 10, 2021 05:02AM

I have a slightly different takeā€¦

Rams43126December 10, 2021 06:12AM

Disagree: Rams have been pretty healthy

ferragamo7985December 10, 2021 06:27AM

Yes I've seen their list of injuries. Look at their records.

RockRam183December 10, 2021 08:15AM

Agree 100%

merlin129December 10, 2021 10:36AM

Difference: Harris, Funk, Mundt, Xavier Jones vs Donald Ramsey Kupp

ferragamo7969December 10, 2021 10:55AM

Tony Romas63December 10, 2021 10:42AM

Ramstien91December 11, 2021 11:43AM

BerendsenRam73December 11, 2021 01:55PM