Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Some of these decisions will be value judgments on who slips through waivers

August 20, 2021 11:51AM
There's a couple of factors here that we might not know the answer to until the final cutdown.

The first is STs. Those are usually heavy on D guys. It is also usual that your return men are reserve RBs or WRs. Using Calais as both KR and PR would better protect Tutu Atwell from injury, so that the team could stay a little skinny on WRs (with Skoronek going on short term IR). That makes Trishton Jackson a likely cut.

The next is who among near equals at certain positions has the greater chance of getting scooped up if released... and that's going to come into play in a loaded secondary. I also suspect that if they put Perkins on waivers, he won't be a Ram any longer. So they may keep 3 QBs on the 53 just for that reason.

I think barring injury, the two who are certain to stick at RB are Calais and Henderson. That brings us down to Funk and Jones. I think they waive Funk believing that because of his injury history, they can get him back. And I still think they pick up a bigger back for short yardage. So for the season, I see them keeping 4 RBs.

In fact, I can easily envision doing the same thing with Terrell Lewis for the same reason. Can you really take up a valuable roster spot to keep a guy that young who will spend his career on a pitch count? And almost certainly miss some games? Not if you want to make it through a 17 game season and go deep into the playoffs. In fact, I think the emergence of Lawler might push them hard towards that decision. Like they say, the greatest ability is availability. If it comes down to Lawler or Lewis, Lewis gets cut. However... Lewis just might get some kind of PUP exemption the Rams can use for a while because of that knee. Which is something they may want to start setting up right now and not play the guy even one down in the preseason.

Oline: the first 8 not hard to figure. The 5 starters plus Anchrum, Evans, and Shelton (since Allen is now the starter). If Jackson has another solid outing, he may stick over Brewer who had a darn rough 1st game. I think they keep 9, not 10 OL.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Rams 53-man roster projection ahead of 2nd preseason game

BerendsenRam641August 19, 2021 11:58AM

O-line revision

promomasterj248August 19, 2021 01:23PM

Re: Rams 53-man roster projection ahead of 2nd preseason game

SoCalRAMatic225August 19, 2021 01:24PM

J. R. Reed (son of Jake Reed) was projected as a 4th rounder (+Video)

Rams Junkie247August 19, 2021 07:25PM

BerendsenRam326August 19, 2021 08:53PM

SoCalRAMatic248August 20, 2021 08:56AM

Some of these decisions will be value judgments on who slips through waivers

RockRam242August 20, 2021 11:51AM

Good take Rock

BC Ramsfan147August 20, 2021 12:14PM

Re: Some of these decisions will be value judgments on who slips through waivers

LMU93139August 20, 2021 12:37PM

Re: Some of these decisions will be value judgments on who slips through waivers

BerendsenRam117August 20, 2021 12:57PM

Yes,,, good catch. Noteboom (brain fade)

RockRam220August 20, 2021 01:36PM

Re: Yes,,, good catch. Noteboom (brain fade)

HornsUpRamily!106August 20, 2021 02:01PM

Re: Yes,,, good catch. Noteboom (brain fade)

BerendsenRam107August 20, 2021 02:13PM