Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Oldnotdead on Rams ‘new’ team speed: Lot's to speculate at this time

Anonymous User
June 30, 2021 02:26PM
Rams43
Here’s oldnotdead…

Sean clearly admits the offense hasn't been the same with the loss of Brandin Cooks. The threat of Cooks speed changed how defenses were forced to play the Rams. In this case, they were truly drafting on traits. Tutu is less than an inch shorter than Cooks, and less than an inch shorter in his arm length. That said Tutu is faster than Cooks as a rookie. More importantly, when Cooks played for the Rams he a bit slower than in his rookie years at 25 years old in 2018. To be sure he would probably have timed sub-4.4 in the 40. Tutu runs a 4.32 with game play analytics showing him playing much faster than that. From McVay's and Snead's comments, they probably had him timed at sub 4.3 probably in the mid to upper 4.2 range. Much is made of his lack of weight, but all rookies gain substantial muscle weight due to improved diet and training once they get into the NFL. I can easily see his NFL playing weight to be around 170. Training to improve his leg and lower body strength will offset that weight gain.

As has been pointed out by the media, Tutu has been productive at all levels and I don't see that changing. Ultimately, I see Tutu as allowing McVay to return to not only his 2018 style of play but expand upon it. I think the role Jackson plays in this year's offense, is as a stop-gap giving Tutu a year to learn and physically develop. I expect Tutu to see his share of snaps this year, but in a carefully orchestrated set of situations.

I think the only real difference in the offense this year will be in the run game as I expect the passing attack to be more in line with what McVay rolled out in 2018 with adjustments for Stafford's style. I feel that whereas the 2018 run attack was primarily played off an outside zone run blocking scheme, I honestly think the Rams will be more varied in their run attack. I think it will be a mix of outside zone with a strong dose of an inside game as well. I think this is where the impact of Carberry will be. I feel Carberry is the type of coach to get the best out of the talent he has on the OL and the execution will improve overall. I think we got a glimpse of Carberry's approach when we saw Corbett at center in OTAs. He obviously wants to make sure he rolls out the best OL he can. I think he has a pretty good feel for what he has in Allen and Shelton, but he's being thorough by looking at the OTA combination. On the OL it's positional quickness and power that you want. That is why I can't see why they continue to tolerate lead foot Havenstein at that crucial RT spot. He was slow as a rookie and hasn't really improved.

I think overall Stafford will have the time to find his receivers. The play of the OL will be crucial in both the run game as well as the passing attack. Tutu's playbook as a rookie will be slimmed down IMO to jet sweeps and plays off that motion. How well the OL blocks in both aspects of the offense will determine how well Tutu will play this year. If a defense must honor an inside run attack as well as the normal Ram outside zone attack it will force them to take that fraction of a second to read the play which will open things up both on the jet sweeps by Harris and Tutu, that kind of speed is going to open up all kinds of opportunities for Woods, Kupp and the RBs (Akers, Henderson & Funk).

The Rams proved in 2018 how dominating their offense can be with good OL play. The wildcard will be Harris with his speed out of the TE spot. I think Harris will probably see more snaps this year than Tutu as he can play both as a TE and slot receiver. Once teams are aware of Harris's speed he can clear out that mid-range middle for Kupp running a 15 yd dig route. or a crossing route with Tutu out of the slot and Harris out of the TE position. The Ram's newfound speed will completely change how the opposing team's secondaries play. With that speed and a strong inside run attack, teams will be forced into mostly zone coverages. IMO Stafford will eat that up. We will probably get glimpses of the future this year but going forward, Tutu and Harris with Stafford at QB are going to change McVay's passing game. The OL doesn't have to be elite just good for this team to outmatch any opposition next year.

The Rams are truly evolving into a very fast team on both sides of the ball. Ramsey is the one garnering all the attention on defense, but with Floyd and possibly Hollins on the edges, they will have two fast players (4.6 and 4.5 respectively) on the edges to compliment the power of AD and Robinson inside. People are pinning their hopes on Lewis who has shown true flashes, but my money is on Hollins as a true difference-maker opposite Floyd. Now add in Rochell with length, and Ramsey like speed potentially emerging in 2023 (if not sooner). Add in Darious Williams timed at 4.44, David Long being times in 4.45 and Burgess with his 4.46 speed that is a very fast secondary.

Speed kills and the Rams have a lot of it.

There was some speed added to the roster after Free agency and the NFL draft.

It's not like it was a plethora of speed added or a major overhaul on both sides of the ball though.

Where and how these so called added speed players translate their production to the 2021 season is purely projection with plenty of speculation as Oldnotdead indicated.

On the offensive side of the ball...

WR - DeSean Jackson - An injury prone WR past his prime that hopefully stays off of the injured reserved.

WR - Tutu Atwell - A rookie WR that is 161 lbs soaking wet. Will he get enough snaps and be healthy for the duration of the season?

WR/TE - Jacob Harris - A rookie minicamp highlight reel that so far has the most hype prior to the start of training camp.

RB/FB/SP/Teams returner - Jacob Funk - Will his knee hold? Is he as good as advertised based on his pro-day numbers and will he be as good as advertised?

On the defensive side of the ball...

Robert Rochell - A rookie CB from a division II college. Will his skill set and ability earn earn quality snaps in his first year?

The list of 5 players that have added speed is based on one over the hill injury prone veteran WR and 4 rookies that have never taken a snap in the NFL.

I do like when our team adds speed. The group of speed players listed to the Rams 2021 roster by Oldnotdead is noted but most of us fans were not enlightened by his post.

I'm not trying to be negative just saying the whole added speed thing seems a bit hopeful because there was not as much speed added roster wide on paper until proven.

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Oldnotdead on Rams ‘new’ team speed…

Rams43544June 30, 2021 01:29PM

Re: Oldnotdead on Rams ‘new’ team speed…

BerendsenRam226June 30, 2021 01:53PM

Oldnotdead on Rams ‘new’ team speed: Lot's to speculate at this time

Anonymous User297June 30, 2021 02:26PM

you have me conivinced

socalmab173July 01, 2021 08:56AM

Re: you have me conivinced

Anonymous User233July 01, 2021 04:14PM

special teams impact

LMU93125July 02, 2021 04:35AM

Re: Oldnotdead on Rams ‘new’ team speed…Great Write Up

David Deacon176July 02, 2021 02:30AM