Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rams were ‘getting a lot of calls’ about Goff before trade with Lions…

June 18, 2021 07:09AM
Rams were 'getting a lot of calls' about Jared Goff before trade with Lions

[theramswire.usatoday.com]

Cameron DaSilva

Few people expected the Los Angeles Rams to move on from Jared Goff this offseason, less than two years after he signed a four-year deal worth $134 million. But when the opportunity to land Matthew Stafford arose, Sean McVay and Les Snead couldn’t help themselves.

The Rams, of course, packaged Goff and three draft picks – including two first-rounders – in order to land Stafford. It came together rather quickly, considering Stafford requested a trade from the Lions on Jan. 23 and the trade was agreed to on Jan. 30.

Although it was reported that the Rams had exploratory talks with teams about Goff, it wasn’t clear whether they were shopping him and how serious those discussions were. Well, according to former Rams college scouting director and current Lions GM Brad Holmes, Snead got a lot of calls about Goff.

In an interview with the Lions’ official site, Holmes said Snead called him and asked if he wanted Goff as part of their initial negotiation, adding that the Rams GM was getting “a lot of calls” for Goff.

“Before the trade, I remember (Rams GM) Les (Snead) asked me if I wanted Jared and I said, ‘Yes, I do want Jared.’ He said, ‘Ok, I’m just asking because I’m getting a lot of calls.’ Within that QB circle of teams that needed one, Jared was sought after, just as Carson Wentz was sought after, just as Sam Darnold was sought after. That Stafford (was sought after).”

That’s an interesting little nugget shared by Holmes five-plus months after the trade went down. It was never publicly reported which teams were interested in Goff, or whether the Rams received actual offers for their quarterback.

Perhaps Snead was just talking up Goff’s value as a negotiating tactic, making it seem as though there were a lot of competing offers. Regardless, the Lions got a great haul for Stafford.

They received a quarterback Holmes and coach Dan Campbell like in Goff, as well as two first-round picks and a third-rounder. Being with the Rams for Goff’s entire tenure in L.A., Holmes got to know him as a player and evaluated him in the pre-draft process.

Seeing where Goff is now, Holmes believes he has a chip on his shoulder after getting too much criticism in Los Angeles.

“He got a bad rap (in LA). He did,” Holmes said of Goff. “I didn’t think it was always fair, but everyone has their own opinion about that.

“But, end of the day, he’s in a great place right now. He’s got the chip on his shoulder, but it’s very subtle, because he’s so calm and collective and even keel, which I always thought elevated his game.”
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Rams were ‘getting a lot of calls’ about Goff before trade with Lions…

Rams43689June 18, 2021 07:09AM

"He got a bad rap in LA"?

roman18252June 18, 2021 07:32AM

Chip on his shoulder..

sstrams211June 18, 2021 09:34AM

Re: Chip on his shoulder..

den-the-coach170June 18, 2021 10:12AM

you named it

zn150June 19, 2021 06:47AM

Re: you named it

nicecatchellard198June 19, 2021 07:07AM

Re: you named it

zn354June 19, 2021 07:19AM

Goff in New Orleans was a fun one

Ram_Ruler154June 19, 2021 01:09PM

...salient point here. imo

SunTzu_vs_Camus206June 20, 2021 04:51AM

Re: ...salient point here. imo

zn105June 20, 2021 05:26AM

Look. A GM is trying to build up his starting QB. He ought to.

RockRam404June 18, 2021 10:45AM

Re: Look. A GM is trying to build up his starting QB. He ought to.

zn126June 19, 2021 07:02AM

Re: Rams were ‘getting a lot of calls’ about Goff before trade with Lions…

rampage666176June 19, 2021 07:09AM

yeah that's right--Goff played only 1 game in 2020

zn167June 19, 2021 07:15AM

Goff is gone

Stafford9301June 19, 2021 07:36PM