March 01, 2021 08:21AM
Los Angeles Rams 7-round 2021 Mock Draft With Trades

By Blaine Grisak of DowntownRams

The Los Angeles Rams have limited draft picks in the 2021 NFL Draft. The Rams pick up some picks in this mock draft with trades!

Los Angeles Rams
Web Hosting
Due to minimum cap space, the Los Angeles Rams will be looking at the NFL Draft to bring in role players to fit on the team. However, because the team also has minimum draft picks, there’s a chance that Les Snead does try to trade down once or twice in order to pick up an extra selection or two.

Last season, Snead traded down just once in the fourth round with the Houston Texans. Snead, however has been more active in the past. Every week here on Downtown Rams we do a mock draft. The one today has a special twist as it is the first mock draft with trades.

57th Overall – OT Dillon Radunz, North Dakota State

I got one offer here to move down to 81, but the return wasn’t enough. I got offered a 5th round selection in 2022. Therefore, the value made more sense to make a pick than it did to trade back almost 30 spots. Also available here were players like Dylan Moses, Jabril Cox, and Landon Dickerson. I don’t believe the Rams would address the linebacker position this early and Dickerson has an injury history that is worrisome.

Therefore, without Creed Humphrey, my next option was to take Dillon Radunz. In 2018, the Rams selected Joseph Noteboom with the idea that he would take over for Andrew Whitworth. While that could still be the case, the Rams could use another tackle for depth or someone who can start on the right side. Radunz had an outstanding career at North Dakota State and would be a great addition to the Rams’ offensive line.

101st Overall – WR Dazz Newsome, UNC

Also available here were Dyami Brown, Nico Collins, and Marquez Stevenson. However, I do think Newsome fits more of what the Los Angeles Rams look for at wide receiver and fits what they need. Newsome can return punts, he’s someone who can win with his speed, he’s a good route-runner, and he’s also a willing blocker.

Newsome is the prototypal Sean McVay wide receivers, but he also adds value where the Rams need on special teams and as a vertical threat. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Rams went with Newsome’s teammate here in Brown instead. However, I have Newsome rated higher and is my preferred option.

121st Overall (Traded 103 for 112 + 154 + 163) – DL Osa Odighizuwa, UCLA

The first trade of this draft. The Rams and Lions made another trade this offseason. It made sense as I was only moving down nine spots and picked up an extra selection in the fifth round. I traded down then again with the Raiders and picked another late pick in the fifth round. I was also able to get the player that I was targeting with this pick as well.

The Los Angeles Rams need to be able to add some depth on the defensive line, especially if Morgan Fox leaves in free agency. Odighizuwa is a great athlete and is able to play nearly anywhere on the defensive line. He plays the run well and has some upside as a pass rusher.

140th Overall – iOL David Moore, Grambling State

The ideal scenario for the Rams on the offensive line is that they sign Austin Blythe to a 1-2 year contract and then draft someone in the middle rounds that they can develop in that window. This allows the Rams to continue to play to “win now” while also having the future in mind.

Moore had a great week at the Senior Bowl and was one of the best offensive linemen there. He’s a mauler in the run game and is steady as a pass protector. He needs to work on his technique, but has the potential to be a starter by year three.

154th Overall – EDGE Shaka Toney, Penn State

With my extra selection, the Rams address depth at a position of need. The Rams will do their best to bring back Leonard Floyd. However, they lose some depth with Samson Ebukam leaving in free agency. If the Rams don’t bring back Floyd, expect them to address edge early. However, if they do, the team could address it on day three.

Toney is a developmental pass rusher that needs to add to his frame. However, he brings speed and proven production. This is someone that can be a situational pass rusher early in his career and hopefully develop into an every down guy.

163rd Overall – LB Garrett Wallow, TCU

It would be relatively shocking if the Rams address the linebacker position on day two of the draft. It’s not impossible, but just unlikely. The team was able to get away with Troy Reeder, Kenny Young, and Micah Kiser last year and could opt for that route again.

However, that doesn’t mean that they don’t at the very least need some linebacker depth. Wallow provides immediate value on special teams and is someone that can develop in a starting player. He led the Big 12 in tackles in 2019 and was also good in coverage. This is a player worth taking a flier on late in the fifth round.

210th Overall – CB Tre Brown, Oklahoma

Tre Brown is flying under the radar in this draft class. If a team need a depth piece at cornerback, Brown should be a legitimate option. The Rams are going to need someone to fill in for Troy Hill. While that could be David Long this year, Brown provides depth that the Rams need in the secondary. He’s a physical player with some versatility.

Trade Breakdown

Traded pick 103 (Dyami Brown) to the Detroit Lions for pick 112 and 154 (Shaka Toney)

Trade pick 112 (Cameron McGrone) and pick 251 (Tommy Kraemer) to the Las Vegas Raiders for pick 121 ( Osa Odighizuwa and 163 (Garrett Wallow)
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Rams 7-round 2021 mock draft with trades (article)

Rams43860March 01, 2021 08:21AM

Re: Rams 7-round 2021 mock draft with trades (article)

Ramdemic287March 01, 2021 08:54AM

Re: How do you really feel?

oldschoolramfan240March 01, 2021 10:50AM

Ramdemic204March 01, 2021 11:35AM

dzrams174March 01, 2021 11:42AM

Ramdemic183March 01, 2021 11:56AM

dzrams158March 01, 2021 12:35PM