Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Wondering about McVay’s hiring of asst coaches process...

February 24, 2021 07:36AM
IMO, I believe McVay thinks one year ahead, for example, the hiring of Jonathan Cooley last year from Akron. Cooley's background was in the secondary, so when you add assistants, you're always thinking long term and IMO, McVay did this with the addition of Cooley, it does make the Pleasant loss more palatable, thankfully the Rams did not lose both Pleasant & Evero, that way, they could promote Evero, teaming him Cooley, being able to absorb the Pleasant loss easier.

I also believe McVay has a list, in case of departures and I'm sure Carberry was on his short list for OL Coaches. Kromer leaving, especially the timing, McVay was quickly able to adapt and overcome the loss, by taping Carberry, someone who he had a good feeling about overall. I'm really pleased he rewarded the likes of Henderson, Brown, Evero & Phillips, hopefully countering future poaching.

So far out of all the Head Coaches I have observed following the Rams, McVay seems to be one of the better Head Coaches when hiring Assistants, a younger Chuck Knox was also very good at this. Turning over the defense to Raheem Morris will be interesting as he really doesn't have a history of being a DC, but is highly regarded and I hope he's ready to be one of the best DC's in the NFL.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2021 07:55AM by den-the-coach.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Wondering about McVay’s hiring of asst coaches process...

Rams43397February 24, 2021 07:13AM

den-the-coach253February 24, 2021 07:36AM

zn161February 24, 2021 07:54AM

BerendsenRam120February 24, 2021 09:28AM

Rams43123February 24, 2021 07:58AM

den-the-coach146February 24, 2021 08:07AM

BearlyThere148February 24, 2021 03:46PM