Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Wondering about McVay’s hiring of asst coaches process...

February 24, 2021 07:54AM
den-the-coach
IMO, I believe McVay thinks one year ahead, for example, the hiring of Jonathan Cooley last year from Akron. Cooley's background was in the secondary, so when you add assistants, you're always thinking long term and IMO, McVay did this with the addition of Cooley, it does makes the Pleasant loss more palatable, thankfully the Rams did not lose both Pleasant & Evero, that way, they could promote Evero, teaming him Cooley, being able to absorb the Pleasant loss easier.

I also believe McVay has a list, in case of departures and I'm sure Carberry was on his short list for OL Coaches. Kromer leaving, especially the timing, McVay was quickly able to adapt and overcome the loss, by taping Carberry, someone who he had a good feeling about overall. I'm really pleased he rewarded the likes of Henderson, Brown, Evero & Phillips, hopefully countering future poaching.

So far out of all the Head Coaches I have observed following the Rams, McVay seems to be one of the better Head Coaches when hiring Assistants, a younger Chuck Knox was also very good at this. Turning over the defense Raheem Morris will be interesting as he rally doesn't have a history of being a DC, but is highly regarded and I hope he's ready to be one of the best DC's in the NFL.

Not all these guys are from McVay though. He oversees it but he's not a supercomputer with every possible coaching hire in his head. Morris brought in a guy he knew, for example, as did the new special teams coach. My understanding is that Cooley was a Staley recommendation.

This stuff is collaborative though a good head coach makes sure it works effectively. A good coaching staff will have all sorts of people on it who recommend new names because of guys they worked with previously. The head coach has to be the committee chair in those meetings but it doesn;t all come from him.

I agree that the Rams have a good record with coaches. But notice something else. The demographics of the Rams staff is changing. Without going too far into it, that was IMO a result of the 2020 summer, where coaches and players said they listened to other coaches and players about social issues. The face of the Rams coaching staff changed the first off-season after that.

I also agree that watching Morris will be interesting. Ronde Barber had high praise for the way his mind works as a defensive coach, but we'll see.

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Wondering about McVay’s hiring of asst coaches process...

Rams43395February 24, 2021 07:13AM

den-the-coach252February 24, 2021 07:36AM

zn160February 24, 2021 07:54AM

BerendsenRam120February 24, 2021 09:28AM

Rams43122February 24, 2021 07:58AM

den-the-coach145February 24, 2021 08:07AM

BearlyThere147February 24, 2021 03:46PM