Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

My problem with Trade and Fans that dump on Goff_ final

February 01, 2021 09:46AM
Too many have used it to basically trash Jared Goff's career and the success he has not only been a part of but has allowed us to enjoy. He was the QB of a very prolific offense that McVay could not have done with a controller. Goff is young still has a promising career and development to develop and simply because he is no longer the flavor of the day for our organization should not be used to denigrate him, his character or intelligence. I will not accept those disappointments in games or at the end of the season to define this kid as somehow a failure when there have been a lot of failed actions and moments exposed by this franchise.

#1 This trade is not proof that Goff does not have it or that he is not a winner: Goff has won games and has beaten great QBs and teams @ home and on the road.
#2 This trade is not proof that McVay is as brilliant as the label he has been given- McVay is a bright talent that has room to grow.
#3 This trade is not proof that Rams are ready to take the next level
#4 This trade does not shore up our OL
#5 This trade does not upgrade our receiving group or get us that elite talent @ WR
#6 This trade does not improve our Defense or sign our top defenders that are FA
#7 This trade does not make us a top franchise in the long term
#8 This trade does not eliminate Matthew Stafford's health history
#9 This trade does not guarantee Matthew Staffords ascension
  • Improve his play
  • lower his turn overs
  • Increase his TDs
  • Guarantee 10 or more wins
  • Make us a Playoff team
  • Make him win a playoff game or put us on top of our division.
#10 This trade does not fix or change Rams methodology:
  • Paying early and high
  • Trading #1s and high picks
  • accepting lower picks

Dumping on Goff does not fix this situation. I would prefer McVay and Snead show more discretion, patience and vision but that is not who they are.
I would prefer that McVay could have worked with Goff or recognized that the offense he ran with Goff was not the offense that he envisioned for the future of this team long term much earlier. I had always suspected that Goff did not fit the core West coast offensive scheme and had believed that when Watson was dropping in the Draft that Rams should have drafted him because it adds assets and it allows McVay to determine if Goff was his guy or not.

I believed McVay was sincere when he green-lighted Goff for the early extension but the truth is he just did not feel that he could swap him out after a SB appearance whether he was happy or not. Perhaps he also prefers a more veteran QB

I believed that Gurley's injury was an issue but McVay continued to deny it until Gurley was released. He simply needed to prioritize bringing in a true quality RB a year earlier. Instead we sorta tanked 2019.

I believed we had a pretty solid DB field but we gave up 2 first round picks for Jaylen but not so certain that that was a priority. Is it possible we could have been better off with those picks and found that level of talent or even drafted our future LT or even QB?

MY CHIEF CONCERN

So here we are and with a QB I've really liked and enjoyed for over a decade and now we are suddenly reversing course, throwing caution to the wind and mortgaging our future and thinking its fixed. PLEASE KEEP YOUR EYES OPEN AND DON'T LET MCVAY OR SNEAD OFF THE HOOK. They have to do better and they have to do more. That is what I dislike most about this trade. IMO, It's a reboot but and it also pushes us closer to a REBUILD in the near future whether this is successful or not. I prefer we had identified a younger talent earlier to be in place to take over like Chiefs did with Mahomes but without assets that is very hard to do.

SO WHAT DO I LIKE (Sour grapes aside)?

I really am a fan of Matthew Stafford not based on actions but on his career for over a decade. For those of you who are wondering - I do get it. It's one hell of a Hail Mary. I agree that Goff is not the veteran that Stafford is and not the playmaker with the crazy throws either; however, those things have not always lead to wins or ended successfully for Stafford which is why he is available to be quite frank. I hope McVay can stand by this decision when Matthew goes into freelance mode and hazards his health - leading to an injury or TO while I certainly expect some of those to lead to success as well. I think Matthew Stafford is a high risk for reward QB which makes him historically exciting but he was never my team's QB until today and he is not as young and invincible as he once was. I hope McVay mutes his mic so that we do not have to see Matt throwing his helmet to disable the voice in his ear. If McVay has sense enough to recognize where he himself needs to change to allow for Matthew Stafford to be Matthew Stafford I will be excited to watch what comes next.

Perhap Goff was not ready to assert that sorta leadership or command to operate with some autonomy but I sure hope Matthew will be respected by McVay so that he can play and not be McVays puppet.

Los Angeles Rams

Rap on.

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2021 10:01AM by BumRap.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

My problem with Trade and Fans that dump on Goff_ final

BumRap453February 01, 2021 09:46AM

Re: My problem with Trade and Fans that dump on Goff

roman18194February 01, 2021 10:03AM

BumRap197February 01, 2021 10:36AM

roman18155February 01, 2021 10:50AM

Re: Then more personnel changes necessary

BumRap124February 01, 2021 11:36AM

i really dont understand the dump on goff thing