Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

my post season roster review (long, because you know me)

January 17, 2021 04:20PM
I'll start with the free agents:

Leonard Floyd EDGE - I would think he is the #1 priority. Outside of him, the edge rush is pretty bare.

Austin Blythe C - I think he is gone, there has to be an upgrade somewhere

Troy Hill CB - Tough one here, I think he leaves

Malcolm Brown RB - I would love to keep him, not sure he wants to be a 3rd back, and he has to know its Akers show from here on out.

Gerald Everett TE - He is gone unless he is ultra cheap

Jake McQuaide LS - He should be keepable if that is a word.

Derek Rivers EDGE - I would like to see him brought back. He could be a sneaky under the radar resigning that pays dividends with a full season

Morgan Fox DE - I like him, I hope they keep him, but I just do not know.

John Johnson S - I'd hate to lose him, but I just see know way he stays.

Josh Reynolds WR - He's a goner, Jefferson moves into the 3rd WR spot

Samson Ebukam EDGE - I think he's gone. Just a guy IMO. And you have Obo, Lewis and Hollins.

Johnny Mundt TE - he'll be cheap, could be a nice 3rd, cheap TE...but I'd look later in the draft for his replacement

Natrez Patrick LB - gone

Coleman Shelton LG - gone, unless they think he can be a OC

Darious Williams CB - He's restricted, I slap the 1st round tender on him and keep him for another year or get a first round pick for him

Travin Howard LB - exclusive rights FA, I'd keep him as cheap depth.

Austin MacGinnis K - gone

Offense:

QB:

Lets just dive into it. If there is a serious talk of an open competition, then there is a serious issue here. Note, I said IF. I have a feeling this is a signal for Goff to get his stuff together and fast. Because there is no way there is an open competition with Goff, Wolford and Perkins. Or a rookie somehow. I think Goff is safe for a season, but unless something dramatic changes, he could be jettisoned after next year.

Wolford - I like his off schedule ability, but I don't think he is a longterm solution. And I don't think he is Taysom Hill type. He just isn't that big.

Perkins - Who knows what they have with him.

RB:

Akers could be special. He's for sure a very capable lead back. I loved the pick, and I still love this kid.

Henderson - I hope he can stay healthy and be a capable backup. change of pace back, hasn't shown it yet, but there are glimpses

Jones - if Brown goes, I like this kid as a 3rd back.

WR -

Kupp and Woods are obviously back. They are good, they fit the system and aren't going anywhere.

Jefferson - He slides into that 3rd WR role, unless Reynolds comes back. But I doubt that happens. He'll be just fine with a season under his belt. Rookie WRs usually take 3 years to hit their stride. He'll be one year closer next year. No concerns.

Tryston Jackson - just a guy, probably a cap casualty.

Webster - saves 850k with no dead money, he's gone if I'm in charge lol.

TE:

Higbee - Someone needs to figure out how to utilize him better with that contract of his. He has shown the ability to make an impact.

Hopkins - He's the #2 next year unless Everett comes back on the cheap. He was my #1 ranked TE so I am excited to see him with a full offseason under his belt.

Thats it. Everett and Mundt are FAs. I think Mundt could come back. But TEs are available cheap in the draft and in FA. I want a guy that can block. From the FB spot as well as in-line. Let Higbee and Hopkins do the catching.

OL:

Whitworth is coming back for one more year? I think so, he'll be fine. He's a heck of a leader, heck of a locker room guy and a heck of a community guy.

Havs - He is fine, he would cost 3m in dead cap and save 5 million in cap space if cut, he could be a restructure? maybe. I doubt he is going anywhere unless they think Evans is ready to be a fulltime RT.

Edwards - He is starting at OG somewhere, I really like him and think his arrow is pointing up.

Corbett - He's cheap at 1.5m, and the Rams would save all of that if they cut him with no dead money. I think he is upgradable, but if they bring him back, it won't ruin my off season.

Allen - I'd cut him and save 920k, and put that money to good use. He is just not an answer to any OL question.

Noteboom - I just don't know what to do with him. If he stays, he'd probably be a super sub, because he can be a OG or OT. But then what? He'll be a FA after next season like Whit. Do you resign him? If cut, he'd save 920k. I think he is a super sub next year.

Evans - He is another super sub that can play inside and out and isn't going anywhere. I like his upside.

Anchrum - a 6'-2" college OT that isn't long enough to be a OT, so do they view him as an OC? Either way, he is cheap depth.

As already noted, I think Blythe is gone. He just isn't big enough or tough enough.

Defense:

DL:

AD - Greatest DL of all time - thats it.

Brockers - He is solid, and costs 5m in dead money and only saves 4.6m. I am almost certain he comes back. And thats a good thing.

Robinson - this one is tricky. He saves virtually nothing to cut him, a restructure won't work. So he is back. And hopefully being healthy, we see a real run stuffing difference maker in there.

Gaines - cheap depth

Joseph-Day - under rated, super cheap depth and a solid rotational guy. Exactly what a good team with minimal cap space needs. He is safe.

As earlier noted, Fox is a FA, but should be a cheap re-sign. If not, move on. I'd like to keep him for the record, but won't lose sleep if he's gone.

EDGE:

Hollins - a mid season pickup that has a chance to really compete next year.

Okoronkwo - cheap depth, needs to stay healthy. If cut he saves 920k. I'd hang onto him.

Lewis - Get healthy, he has as much upside as any edge rusher the Rams have. He's not going anywhere.

Floyd, Rivers and Ebukam are FAs, I think Samson is gone, and I think the Rams will try like heck to keep Floyd. And I think Rivers would be a really nice, cheap, sneaky re-sign on a prove it deal. If they don't re-sign Floyd it might be time for another veteran reclamation project.

ILB:

Kiser - I think he is too stiff and too injured to be counted on as a starter, but he's cheap depth and will get a shot to compete for a starting spot.

Reeder - a real nice surprise this year, he is also super cheap and will compete for a starting spot or depth next year.

Young - Another cheap option that can compete for a spot or add depth. he'd save 920k if cut.

Howard - he is an exclusive rights FA, so all the Rams have to do is offer him a 1 year vet min contract and he is back. Otherwise he goes away with no dead cap or savings.

CB:

Ramsey - going nowhere

Long - cheap depth with a chance to move up the depth chart.

Thats it. Williams is a RFA, so I'd put a 1st round tender on him and retain him for another year or get a first round pick. That'll cost about 4.5m ish Cannot let him go for nothing.

Hill is a FA and I think he becomes a cap casualty. I like him. But how do you justify the cost...

S:

Fuller - showed some real high level play, and looked like a rookie. Maybe hit the rookie wall at the end? He's not going anywhere.

Burgess - Get healthy and see what they have. I think he could be a jack knife back there doing all sorts of stuff for Staley.

Scott - He's cheap, good on STs and played well when called upon. He isn't going anywhere.

Rapp -oh boy, he needs to stay healthy. I think he is crucial to have with Staley's defense and playing 3 safeties. Esp when JJ goes away.

Hughes and Reed - depth guys and cheap, they will compete for roster spots.

Johnson - the big FA in the secondary. I think he is gone, and that sucks. He brings leadership to that group, is a solid player and I think will be missed greatly.

That covers the roster.

The Rams as it stands now will have holes at:

OC, EDGE, CB, TE, WR, RB and S.

The Rams currently have these picks: 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 3rd (projected), 4th (projected) 6th and a 7th. 4 picks in the top 110? that can give them some flexibility with how they want to attack the holes on the roster.

What you will not get out of the draft:

A true #1 WR. You can get a deep threat, but not a true #1
You also won't get an instant replacement for Floyd.
A replacement for Goff. Not without moving up.

What you can get in this draft:

A starting OC
Edge depth
WR depth with deep threat potential
starting ILB
OT and OG depth
QB depth
CB depth slot and outside
RB and TE depth
S depth

Anyone wanting to look at college guys early here are some names:

OC:
Dickerson - Alabama - he's a bigtime tough, nasty leader Saban cannot say enough good things about. They run a power man/gap concept so if McVay wants to use more of this blocking scheme, he could be in play.
Humphrey - Oklahoma - more scheme diverse. Tough nosed and a leader as well. I wanted him last year but he went back to school.
Myers - Ohio State - a zone blocker, big at 6'-5" and 315. Strong and does his best work in the run game.

1 of those guys should be available in the 2nd as things stand today.

ILB:
McGrone - Michigan - a sideline to sideline dynamic missile with playmaking ability. The new age ILB I liken to Devan Bush from Pittsburgh
Moses - Alabama - An eraser in the middle. A punisher with great athleticism. Knee injury at the end of the 19 season caused him to return.
Browning - Ohio State - another athletic, splash play guy that might need some development. Should be there for the Rams in round 3
Cox - LSU - a former NDSU fav of mine that grad transferred to LSU. I think he works inside and out and can cover backs, TEs and loves to hit. 2nd rounder

QB:
Newman - Georgia - sat out this year, will be at the Senior bowl and we know the Rams love the Senior Bowl. Can make plays with his legs and his arm. I'll be watching him through the process closely.

Edge:
Phillips - Miami - nice combination of size, athletic profile and speed. Can play the run and the pass and is scheme flexible.
Oweh - Penn St - Raw, with pass rush upside. Dynamic athlete. Def worth a look in the 2nd.
Roche- Miami - transfer from Temple where he was all AAC. Sack machine that isn't a run defender, but he gets to the QB.
Tryon - Washington - athletic withthe size and strength to play all 3 downs.
Smith - UAB - raw, but has a ton of good qualities off the edge. He'll need time and has some off the field red flags.

OT:
Radunz - NDSU - my guy, a mauler with good athleticism. Good size, needs a year, but worth a look if you want a day 2 OT.
Little - Stanford - knee injury in 19, opted out of 20. So where he lands is anyone's guess. Big and athletic. Obviously smart. I think he is a day 2 kid. Will need a year.
Vrabel - BC - Yes, that Vrabel. big, powerful and tough. middle round guy I think.

WR:
Brown - UNC - he can get deep, and can play inside and outside or wherever.
Schwartz - Auburn - an under used 6' WR, with literal all world speed. He will need to be developed.
Watkins - UAB - 6'-3" and a big play guy. Super curious to see how he fast he runs.
Darden - North Texas - 5'-9" but super fast, dynamic with the ball and a very good route runner. Can be had day 3
Moore - Purdue - super utility guy that does all sorts of stuff, but his injury history is spooky. Medicals will be huge for him.

TE:
Ruckert - Ohio State - blocker/pass catcher that offers a little bit of everything in the middle rounds of the draft
McKitty - Georgia - he can be a FB, H back, In line and flexed out TE. another mid round guy that would be a great addition to the Rams

Hit me up with any other questions you guys have. I'm never too far away.

Don't waste your time looking back, you're not going that way. - Ragnar Lothbrok
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

my post season roster review (long, because you know me)

Deadpool872January 17, 2021 04:20PM

What about looming Free Agents that can step in and help? nm

Ramgator189January 17, 2021 04:40PM

with a dollar and fifty cents in cap room? no one. Ryan Kerrigan maybe

Deadpool209January 17, 2021 05:34PM

good read, Dead nm

21Dog143January 17, 2021 04:59PM

re Darius Williams

Speed_Kills219January 17, 2021 05:03PM

well

Deadpool308January 17, 2021 05:47PM

ok but re Higbee

Speed_Kills322January 17, 2021 06:04PM

How about a Goff + D.Williams for Watson?

RockRam127January 18, 2021 11:15AM

well sure

Speed_Kills102January 19, 2021 06:40AM

Excellent Read but Staley now gone and some go with him

stlramz367January 17, 2021 05:20PM

You think Staley might lobby for D Williams and giving up a #1

Speed_Kills198January 17, 2021 05:26PM

13th pick in the draft for D. Will. I'd do it.

stlramz286January 17, 2021 05:52PM

great minds nm

Speed_Kills147January 17, 2021 06:00PM

This is awesome!

Ram49215January 17, 2021 05:32PM

Re: my post season roster review (long, because you know me)

CROMWELL21155January 17, 2021 05:33PM

A Pleasure to Read

leafnose284January 17, 2021 05:38PM

I want Darden

BigGame81459January 17, 2021 06:06PM

Always a treat to read your draft/roster takes, Dead...

Rams43171January 17, 2021 06:07PM

Classicalwit262January 17, 2021 08:13PM

multiple reasons

Deadpool148January 18, 2021 08:54AM

oldmanram170January 18, 2021 04:25AM

interesting names

Deadpool162January 18, 2021 09:07AM

dodgerram132January 18, 2021 04:37AM

3030129January 18, 2021 04:39AM

largely agree with your perspectives

LMU93225January 18, 2021 05:29AM

Re: largely agree with your perspectives

Deadpool178January 18, 2021 09:28AM

LMU93147January 18, 2021 09:34AM

dzrams168January 18, 2021 11:00AM

I think its possible the Rams will quietly try to move Goff this offseason

RockRam151January 18, 2021 11:25AM

Re: Be prepared to be Shocked at the Watson trade price....

dzrams123January 18, 2021 12:12PM

You know me, a dunce when it comes to the draft.. but...

JamesJM113January 18, 2021 01:46PM

Re: Just watched Darden

dzrams151January 18, 2021 01:56PM

I think its his size (not just height) plus his game log

Deadpool157January 18, 2021 03:19PM

Re: Just watched Darden

Steve116January 19, 2021 06:33AM